FAILURE: CW10 & 8x CD-ROM ???

Post by Joseph G. Hu » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I've tried installing CodeWarrior 10 on a PowerMac 8500/180 and a
PowerMac 7600/132, both with 8x CD-ROMS and I get the following error,
at different times:

Installing: Icon
1008:22, -36 IO Error (Bad Disk)

I get this error when I've selected to install IDE and the C/C++ for
MacOS, only these two.

The error occurs differently and always reports the error on
installing an icon.  The error occurs on 1453, 1253, and 1212 files
left to install.

The catch here is that I can successfully install CW10 on an 7500/132
and an 8500/132.  Both of which do not have 8x CD-ROM drives.  All the
Macs used have System 7.5.5 and I've used the Extension Manager to
disable everything except the Apple CD-ROM extension.

Anyone else experiencing this problem???

Sincerely,
-joe

FAILURE: CW10 & 8x CD-ROM ???

Post by David K De » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I've tried installing CodeWarrior 10 on a PowerMac 8500/180 and a
>PowerMac 7600/132, both with 8x CD-ROMS and I get the following error,
>at different times:
>Installing: Icon
>1008:22, -36 IO Error (Bad Disk)
>I get this error when I've selected to install IDE and the C/C++ for
>MacOS, only these two.
>The error occurs differently and always reports the error on
>installing an icon.  The error occurs on 1453, 1253, and 1212 files
>left to install.
>The catch here is that I can successfully install CW10 on an 7500/132
>and an 8500/132.  Both of which do not have 8x CD-ROM drives.  All the
>Macs used have System 7.5.5 and I've used the Extension Manager to
>disable everything except the Apple CD-ROM extension.

        But do you have the latest Apple CD-ROM software? Should be
version 5.1.7, I think. I believe there were some special fixes in there
just for CD-ROM drives that are faster than 4x! Give it a shot, it might
help.

        Of course one would hope that Apple would ship machines with 8x
CD-ROM drives with the correct drivers!

                                                        Dave

FAILURE: CW10 & 8x CD-ROM ???

Post by Joseph G. Hu » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>    But do you have the latest Apple CD-ROM software? Should be
>version 5.1.7, I think. I believe there were some special fixes in there
>just for CD-ROM drives that are faster than 4x! Give it a shot, it might
>help.

>    Of course one would hope that Apple would ship machines with 8x
>CD-ROM drives with the correct drivers!

System 7.5.3 installs Apple CD-ROM 5.1.7, so yes.

As near as I can tell the problem, after doing more testing, appears
to be a problem with System 7.5.5 and 8x CD-ROMS.

It's very strange.  Not all but some of the icon resources for the
folders are what seem to be causeing the problem.  But again, only
with 7.5.5 and the 8x CD-ROM.

-joe

FAILURE: CW10 & 8x CD-ROM ???

Post by Gregory S. Com » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Yes, this does sound like a driver problem.  If Apple doesn't have a
CD-ROM driver that works for you, you may want to give FWBs CD-ROM Toolkit
a try (just turn off caching before running the installer).

Also, does this problem appear when dragging the folders with those icons
from the CD to your hard drive, or just in the installer?

Greg C.

Quote:>Installing: Icon
>1008:22, -36 IO Error (Bad Disk)

>I get this error when I've selected to install IDE and the C/C++ for
>MacOS, only these two.

>The error occurs differently and always reports the error on
>installing an icon.  The error occurs on 1453, 1253, and 1212 files
>left to install.

To get random signatures put text files into a folder called 3Random Signatures2 into your Preferences folder.

FAILURE: CW10 & 8x CD-ROM ???

Post by Curtis Pe » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >       But do you have the latest Apple CD-ROM software? Should be
> >version 5.1.7, I think.
[snip]

> >       Of course one would hope that Apple would ship machines with 8x
> >CD-ROM drives with the correct drivers!

> System 7.5.3 installs Apple CD-ROM 5.1.7, so yes.

> As near as I can tell the problem, after doing more testing, appears
> to be a problem with System 7.5.5 and 8x CD-ROMS.

[snip]

I'm getting the same error, and I don't have a 8x CD-ROM (I think it's
4x, but I'm not sure - it was factory installed on my 7100/66 when I got
it over 2 years ago.)  I have System 7.5.3 installed, and the Apple
CD-ROM extension says it's 5.1.2.

I just downloaded the 7.5.5 update; I'll install it and see if it
helps.  I hope I can resolve this soon.

--

 Administrative Computing Services
 The University of Texas at Austin

FAILURE: CW10 & 8x CD-ROM ???

Post by Curtis Pe » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

[snip]
> I just downloaded the 7.5.5 update; I'll install it and see if it
> helps.  I hope I can resolve this soon.

That still didn't help.  But then I tried reading the CD on a collegue's
Mac, which is essentially identical to mine, and it worked.  Comparing
his extensions folder to mine, I discovered that I was missing SCSI
Manager 4.3, so I copied it to my Mac and successfully installed
CodeWarrior 10.

--

Post by Scott Hutinge » Wed, 25 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Yes, this does sound like a driver problem.  If Apple doesn't have a
>CD-ROM driver that works for you, you may want to give FWBs CD-ROM Toolkit
>a try (just turn off caching before running the installer).

>Also, does this problem appear when dragging the folders with those icons
>from the CD to your hard drive, or just in the installer?

>Greg C.

>>Installing: Icon
>>1008:22, -36 IO Error (Bad Disk)

>>I get this error when I've selected to install IDE and the C/C++ for
>>MacOS, only these two.

>>The error occurs differently and always reports the error on
>>installing an icon.  The error occurs on 1453, 1253, and 1212 files
>>left to install.

>To get random signatures put text files into a folder called 3Random >Signatures2 into your Preferences folder.

I keep bombing on the install on a Q950, system 7.5.5 and a 2xCD rom...
Possibly I'll try on my pb5300c... and put pref in pref folder?
Sometimes the stack is corrupt, and others I get the 1008:22 -36 IO Error
(Bad Disk) error.

srh

FAILURE: CW10 & 8x CD-ROM ???

Post by MW R » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I keep bombing on the install on a Q950, system 7.5.5 and a 2xCD rom...
>Possibly I'll try on my pb5300c... and put pref in pref folder?
>Sometimes the stack is corrupt, and others I get the 1008:22 -36 IO Error
>(Bad Disk) error.

I think this might be a bad CD, we have been told of some cases where the
glue used in the packaging has gotten onto the CD's.  Generally a bit of
warm water and gentle washing will remove this glue.  If this does not
work please contact tech support and they will have a replacement CD
shipped out to you.

Thanks for your patience

Ron

--
METROWERKS                   Ron Liechty

http://www.metrowerks.com/about/people/rogues.html#mwron

1. need help installing cw10 tools cd from apple 8x cd-rom drive

i bought performa 6400 and want to learn programing, so i got cw but tools
cd does not install from 8x drive. metrowerks says it is apple's fault,
and you can imagine what apple says to that. does anyone have any creative
solutions?
i want to install enough so that i can do lab projects in the introductory
programming texts.
btw, mw recommends fwb cd-rom toolkit but i cant justify spending another
$60, so i can install a program, i suppose, i could buy a 4x drive, then
return it, but that seems dumb, well, i think the whole thing is stupid,
certainly puts a damper on my enthusiasm about my new shiny mac and cool
things it can do:(

2. APPLE CALLS MICROSOFT A BULLY

3. FS:Zen & Art of Resedit NEW with CD-ROM

4. sum * for 1.3 commands and lib

5. New Macintosh CD-ROM Periodical

6. strange modem problem

7. Autorun on Codewarrior CD-ROM

8. How to Make a GUI?

9. Inside Mac CD-ROM

10. CD-ROM Media Info?

11. Do I need a CD-ROM drive to run CW 7 (vs. install)