iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2?

iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2?

Post by Michael Schude » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:03:16

iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2? How long will you keep
using your iPad 2?

I somehow wished to have an iPad 3 mainly because I really wanted to have
the Ratina display...,but changing the iPad yearly doesn't make
sense...it's too expensive to do this and it's a quality product which can
be used several years or at least as long it's supported by Apple. IT
products are too quick out of date.

What are your thoughts on it?

iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2?

Post by Trust No One » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:25:39

Quote:> iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2? How long will you keep
> using your iPad 2?

I took a splurge and pre-ordered the new iPad. I have a 3 month old Ipad 2
64Gb Wifi + 3G, which I understand has now been discontinued by Apple.

However, given that the UK pre-orders have sold out and there is now a 2-3
week lead time, I'm giving serious consideration to leveraging this
situation by putting my new iPad up on Ebay the moment it turns up  next
Friday :)

I'm happy to continue using my Ipad 2 for the next couple of months until
the early adopter hysteria dies down.

The discontinuing of the Ipad 2 32gb & 64gb models may be a good thing, as
it could positive affect their s/hand value.

--
Peter <X-Files fan>

Post by Michael Schude » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:07:12

>> iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2? How long will you keep
>> using your iPad 2?

> I took a splurge and pre-ordered the new iPad. I have a 3 month old Ipad 2
> 64Gb Wifi + 3G, which I understand has now been discontinued by Apple.

> However, given that the UK pre-orders have sold out and there is now a 2-3
> week lead time, I'm giving serious consideration to leveraging this
> situation by putting my new iPad up on Ebay the moment it turns up  next
> Friday :)

> I'm happy to continue using my Ipad 2 for the next couple of months until
> the early adopter hysteria dies down.

> The discontinuing of the Ipad 2 32gb & 64gb models may be a good thing, as
> it could positive affect their s/hand value.

I have iPad 2 64GB Wifi since July 2011. I will continue using it for
another few years, because  I want to buy a new pc first...

I understand your situation...however why have you ordered the iPad 2 at
the first place when the release of the new 3rd generation iPad was
imminent? Do you think they will pay you more than Apple for the new iPad
then?

Post by Trust No One » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:59:59

> I have iPad 2 64GB Wifi since July 2011. I will continue using it for
> another few years, because  I want to buy a new pc first...

> I understand your situation...however why have you ordered the iPad 2 at
> the first place when the release of the new 3rd generation iPad was
> imminent? Do you think they will pay you more than Apple for the new iPad
> then?

*Shrug* I purchased my iPad 2 3 months ago - At the time there were vague
rumours of a new iPad - there always are - but nothing imminent.

I read large volumes of technical PDF documents in my job, and the iPad is
absolutely brilliant for this task. I can read on the go and I can zoom into
diagrams. I wasn't prepared to wait up to 6 months in anticipation of a new
model.

Admittedly my purchase of the new model was entirely impulse. Hand on heart
I really don't need the new features - I got suckered in by Apple's
brilliant marketing machine.

Still I am in a pretty decent position as more than likely I can make a
decent profit on launch day if I put the new iPad on Ebay :)

--
Peter <X-Files fan>

iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2?

Post by sbt » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:40:37

In article

Quote:> iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2? How long will you keep
> using your iPad 2?

> I somehow wished to have an iPad 3 mainly because I really wanted to have
> the Ratina display...,but changing the iPad yearly doesn't make
> sense...it's too expensive to do this and it's a quality product which can
> be used several years or at least as long it's supported by Apple. IT
> products are too quick out of date.

> What are your thoughts on it?

We buy the new model and the preexisting unit becomes part of the
"family entertainment center" for the grandkids when they visit (and
since they all live nearby, that's frequently).

Granted, we're an unusual case, both because I need the latest model
for my work (I write and edit books about the iPad and other technology
products) and because of the grandkids being, essentially, part of the
household.

--
Spenser

Post by Alan Brown » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 00:03:57

Quote:> iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2? How long will you keep
> using your iPad 2?

> I somehow wished to have an iPad 3 mainly because I really wanted to have
> the Ratina display...,but changing the iPad yearly doesn't make
> sense...it's too expensive to do this and it's a quality product which can
> be used several years or at least as long it's supported by Apple. IT
> products are too quick out of date.

> What are your thoughts on it?

I have a mild twinge to buy a 32 GB WiFi only iPad 2, used as prices
gently collapse.

  I said I didn't know."
                           -Samuel Clemens.

Post by Erila » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 01:07:09

> iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2? How long will you keep
> using your iPad 2?

> I somehow wished to have an iPad 3 mainly because I really wanted to have
> the Ratina display...,but changing the iPad yearly doesn't make
> sense...it's too expensive to do this and it's a quality product which can
> be used several years or at least as long it's supported by Apple. IT
> products are too quick out of date.

> What are your thoughts on it?

I'm a holdout; i'm still happy with my otiginal iPad.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

Post by Alan Brown » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 03:10:38

>> However, given that the UK pre-orders have sold out and there is now a 2-3
>> week lead time, I'm giving serious consideration to leveraging this
>> situation by putting my new iPad up on Ebay the moment it turns up  next
>> Friday :)

> Here in the Colonies, all iPads (except the iPad 2, which ships in 1 to 3
> business days) are listed as shipping by March 19.  I expect the delay to
> get longer before production and demand get closer in sync.

The iPad 3 you'll receive was likely produced and boxed over a month ago
and is sitting in a warehouse in the US, possibly already in a shipper
with your name and address on it.

  I said I didn't know."
                           -Samuel Clemens.

Post by David Fritzinge » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:45:51

> > iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2? How long will you keep
> > using your iPad 2?

> > I somehow wished to have an iPad 3 mainly because I really wanted to have
> > the Ratina display...,but changing the iPad yearly doesn't make
> > sense...it's too expensive to do this and it's a quality product which can
> > be used several years or at least as long it's supported by Apple. IT
> > products are too quick out of date.

> > What are your thoughts on it?

> I'm a holdout; i'm still happy with my otiginal iPad.

Same here for now...

Post by David Fritzinge » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:47:44

> > > Here in the Colonies, all iPads (except the iPad 2, which ships in 1
> > > to 3 business days) are listed as shipping by March 19.  I expect the
> > > delay to get longer before production and demand get closer in sync.

> > The iPad 3 you'll receive was likely produced and boxed over a month ago
> > and is sitting in a warehouse in the US, possibly already in a shipper
> > with your name and address on it.

> You're probably right, but I've already had Apple products shipped to me
> directly from China.

Yeah, when I bought my iPad1 in June of 2010, it came directly from
China. As did the case I bought with it.

iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2?

Post by Howard Braze » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:41:11

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 10:44:11 -0700, Michelle Steiner

>I'm buying the iPad 3 (yeah, I know that's not its official name, but it is
>an easy designation), and selling my iPad 2.

I wonder how hard it is to give an iPad to a charity and how much the
deduction would be.

- James Madison

Post by Bria » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:31:44

> iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2? How long will you keep
> using your iPad 2?

> I somehow wished to have an iPad 3 mainly because I really wanted to have
> the Ratina display...,but changing the iPad yearly doesn't make
> sense...it's too expensive to do this and it's a quality product which can
> be used several years or at least as long it's supported by Apple. IT
> products are too quick out of date.

> What are your thoughts on it?

It usually the software that forces owners to upgrade their computer gear.
If new apps will only run on the iPad 3 then owners are likely to want to
upgrade.
There is a difference in screen size so some apps are going to be for the
iPad 2 and some for the iPad 3.

--
Regards Brian

iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2?

Post by nospa » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:06:01

In article

> It usually the software that forces owners to upgrade their computer gear.
> If new apps will only run on the iPad 3 then owners are likely to want to
> upgrade.

the original ipad is already becoming an orphan. photoshop touch won't
run on it nor will iphoto (although apparently there's a hack for
that).
there are a *lot* of ipad 2s out there and it would be a bit stupid to
not support those except in the most unusual of cases.

Post by Michael Schude » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:04:42

> the original ipad is already becoming an orphan. photoshop touch won't
> run on it nor will iphoto (although apparently there's a hack for
> that).
> there are a *lot* of ipad 2s out there and it would be a bit stupid to
> not support those except in the most unusual of cases.

Yeah, this has been something I have been worried...I mean how they will
handle it with this new and higher resolution?Will they be a kind of
universal app and work for all iPads or will it come to iPad 3 exclusive
apps, because of higher resolution..

What are the experience of owners of the original iPad? I know there are
some iPad apps which doesn't support the original iPad because it lacks the
camera or games which need more CPU power..are there any other restrictions
for users if the original iPad?

iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2?

Post by nospa » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:11:57

In article

> > the original ipad is already becoming an orphan. photoshop touch won't
> > run on it nor will iphoto (although apparently there's a hack for
> > that). there are a *lot* of ipad 2s out there and it would be a bit stupid to
> > not support those except in the most unusual of cases.

> Yeah, this has been something I have been worried...I mean how they will
> handle it with this new and higher resolution?Will they be a kind of
> universal app and work for all iPads or will it come to iPad 3 exclusive
> apps, because of higher resolution..

apps that include 2x artwork will look nicer and apps that don't will
look the same as an ipad 2. over the next month or two you'll see a
*lot* of apps updating for retina artwork.

Quote:> What are the experience of owners of the original iPad? I know there are
> some iPad apps which doesn't support the original iPad because it lacks the
> camera or games which need more CPU power..are there any other restrictions
> for users if the original iPad?

lack of memory.