Documents to Go

Post by Todd Allcoc » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:21:16

Quote:> This is from electronista.com:

> A leak suggests RIM may have quietly snapped up DataViz in a move that
> could shake up productivity apps on mobile devices. Multiple sources
for
> CrackBerry say the BlackBerry maker acquired DataViz for $50 million.
> Although not publicly acknowledged by RIM, the LinkedIn profiles of
> multiple DataViz staff members have recently shown job switches to the
> Canadian company.

> The deal may have already had repercussions on the mobile space, as
DataViz
> has already dropped plans for a version of Documents To Go for webOS.
No
> indications have been given that it will shed other versions, but RIM
would
> have a strong incentive to drop versions for competing platforms, such
as
> Android, iOS and Maemo. The iPhone port of Documents To Go has been
seen as
> a possible threat to the BlackBerry since it has reduced the incentive
> get one of RIM's handsets for work.

> RIM has had a deep connection with DataViz as the home to one of the
> earliest editions of Documents To Go and regularly bundles a light
version
> of the Office document editing suite with all its smartphones. A formal
> acquisition could see the full version either given away on all
BlackBerry
> phones or else handed out in return for bulk deals, such as setting up
> BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

This seems to be RIM's new MO- they bought Torch Mobile not too long ago,
who made a Webkit-based browser called Iris for various smartphones.  (I
use it on my WinMo phone occasionally when wanting to view iPhone-
specific mobile sites.)  In one fell swoop RIM bought themselves a better
browser than they offer, and removed it from the market for competing
devices.  I suspect their motivation here was the same.  Buying DataViz
is likely cheaper than investing resources to build a better Office suite
in-house.  Anyone wanting Office doc editing support on their iDevices
might want to buy it while it's still available...  ;)

Documents to Go

Post by bj » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:23:28

Quote:

> This seems to be RIM's new MO- they bought Torch Mobile not too long ago,
> who made a Webkit-based browser called Iris for various smartphones.  (I
> use it on my WinMo phone occasionally when wanting to view iPhone-
> specific mobile sites.)  In one fell swoop RIM bought themselves a better
> browser than they offer, and removed it from the market for competing
> devices.  I suspect their motivation here was the same.  Buying DataViz
> is likely cheaper than investing resources to build a better Office suite
> in-house.  Anyone wanting Office doc editing support on their iDevices
> might want to buy it while it's still available...  ;)

If it becomes unavailable, would there still be updates? or would in then be
frozen-in-time or something?
bj

Documents to Go

Post by David Emps » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:05:33

> > This seems to be RIM's new MO- they bought Torch Mobile not too long ago,
> > who made a Webkit-based browser called Iris for various smartphones.  (I
> > use it on my WinMo phone occasionally when wanting to view iPhone-
> > specific mobile sites.)  In one fell swoop RIM bought themselves a better
> > browser than they offer, and removed it from the market for competing
> > devices.  I suspect their motivation here was the same.  Buying DataViz
> > is likely cheaper than investing resources to build a better Office suite
> > in-house.  Anyone wanting Office doc editing support on their iDevices
> > might want to buy it while it's still available...  ;)

> If it becomes unavailable, would there still be updates? or would in then be
> frozen-in-time or something?

If you have already purchased an app which is subsequently removed from
the store, you almost always get to keep the last published version of
the app and can keep using it. There would not be any subsequent
updates.

In theory, Apple could use its ability to disable one or all apps from a
particular developer, but they should reserve that for software that is
discovered to be malicious rather than simply removed from sale.

I have an older WiFi network tracking application which is no longer
sold and it hasn't stopped working yet.

--
David Empson

Documents to Go

Post by nospa » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:13:09

> > If it becomes unavailable, would there still be updates? or would in then be
> > frozen-in-time or something?

> If you have already purchased an app which is subsequently removed from
> the store, you almost always get to keep the last published version of
> the app and can keep using it. There would not be any subsequent
> updates.

you can definitely keep the app. they can't delete it from your hard
drive and certainly not from any backups. however, if it crashes or
stops working entirely, tough.

Quote:> In theory, Apple could use its ability to disable one or all apps from a
> particular developer, but they should reserve that for software that is
> discovered to be malicious rather than simply removed from sale.

apple has never done that, however, google *has* pulled apps off
people's phones.

Quote:> I have an older WiFi network tracking application which is no longer
> sold and it hasn't stopped working yet.

i do too, and it's going to suck when it does stop working.