soundless Skype on iPad?

Post by erila » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 06:12:17

Was talking to my daughter via Skype on iPad and we both downloaded the
new Skype for iPad app and now I have no sound--that is, I can hear her,
but she can't hear me.  The thing has no settings I can access to
suggest what's going on, and no instructions of any kind. AND now the
same thing happens with the old one. Does anyone know where I should
begin my hunt for actual info?  I can't find anything on the Apple site.
And no, I didn't mute the mike 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

soundless Skype on iPad?

Post by Jolly Roge » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 06:39:57

> Was talking to my daughter via Skype on iPad and we both downloaded the
> new Skype for iPad app and now I have no sound--that is, I can hear her,
> but she can't hear me.  The thing has no settings I can access to
> suggest what's going on, and no instructions of any kind. AND now the
> same thing happens with the old one. Does anyone know where I should
> begin my hunt for actual info?  I can't find anything on the Apple site.
> And no, I didn't mute the mike 8-)

Have you tried restarting the iPad?

What else have you tried?

JR

soundless Skype on iPad?

Post by Steve Cai » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 06:40:36

Was talking to my daughter via Skype on iPad and we both downloaded the
new Skype for iPad app and now I have no sound--that is, I can hear her,
but she can't hear me.  The thing has no settings I can access to
suggest what's going on, and no instructions of any kind. AND now the
same thing happens with the old one. Does anyone know where I should
begin my hunt for actual info?  I can't find anything on the Apple site.
And no, I didn't mute the mike 8-)

Couldn't be that her volume has inadvertently turned down?  The key is sort
of a hands on area.

soundless Skype on iPad?

Post by nospa » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 08:27:01

> Was talking to my daughter via Skype on iPad and we both downloaded the
> new Skype for iPad app and now I have no sound--that is, I can hear her,
> but she can't hear me.  The thing has no settings I can access to
> suggest what's going on, and no instructions of any kind. AND now the
> same thing happens with the old one. Does anyone know where I should
> begin my hunt for actual info?  I can't find anything on the Apple site.
> And no, I didn't mute the mike 8-)

why not use facetime?

soundless Skype on iPad?

Post by Erila » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:22:26

>> Was talking to my daughter via Skype on iPad and we both downloaded the
>> new Skype for iPad app and now I have no sound--that is, I can hear her,
>> but she can't hear me.  The thing has no settings I can access to
>> suggest what's going on, and no instructions of any kind. AND now the
>> same thing happens with the old one. Does anyone know where I should
>> begin my hunt for actual info?  I can't find anything on the Apple site.
>> And no, I didn't mute the mike 8-)

> Have you tried restarting the iPad?

(Hanging head humbly). Yes, when in doubt and all that, I did and it now
behaves. I still don't care for the new format, however.

My usual follow-up, however, is WHY ?

Quote:

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

soundless Skype on iPad?

Post by Erila » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:45:58

>> Was talking to my daughter via Skype on iPad and we both downloaded the
>> new Skype for iPad app and now I have no sound--that is, I can hear her,
>> but she can't hear me.  The thing has no settings I can access to
>> suggest what's going on, and no instructions of any kind. AND now the
>> same thing happens with the old one. Does anyone know where I should
>> begin my hunt for actual info?  I can't find anything on the Apple site.
>> And no, I didn't mute the mike 8-)

> why not use facetime?

She has it, but I don't seem to. IPad 1 vs iPad2?

--

Post by Jolly Roge » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:25:27

> >> Was talking to my daughter via Skype on iPad and we both downloaded the
> >> new Skype for iPad app and now I have no sound--that is, I can hear her,
> >> but she can't hear me.  The thing has no settings I can access to
> >> suggest what's going on, and no instructions of any kind. AND now the
> >> same thing happens with the old one. Does anyone know where I should
> >> begin my hunt for actual info?  I can't find anything on the Apple site.
> >> And no, I didn't mute the mike 8-)

> > Have you tried restarting the iPad?

> (Hanging head humbly). Yes, when in doubt and all that, I did and it now
> behaves. I still don't care for the new format, however.

> My usual follow-up, however, is WHY ?

There is no such thing as software with no bugs.

JR

soundless Skype on iPad?

Post by nospa » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:35:20

> > why not use facetime?

> She has it, but I don't seem to. IPad 1 vs iPad2?

that will do it.

soundless Skype on iPad?

Post by Erila » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 22:09:34

>>> Have you tried restarting the iPad?

>> (Hanging head humbly). Yes, when in doubt and all that, I did and it now
>> behaves. I still don't care for the new format, however.

>> My usual follow-up, however, is WHY ?

> There is no such thing as software with no bugs.

I know that 8-). I just wondered whetherbthere was some other reason

--

Post by BreadWithS.. » Fri, 23 Sep 2011 02:04:18

> I've never had good luck with calls on Skype on iOS. I use Facetime for
> iPad to iPad calls.

Unless you are not on wi-fi at the time...

We've had pretty good luck with Skype on both iPhone and iPad,
both 3G and wi-fi, talking to Macs, PCs, etc.

When you've got great bandwidth, and the person on the other
end is on an iOS device, Facetime is pretty great - better
quality video than Skype, in my experience.  But if the
bandwidth is even a little bit flaky, we've found Skype to
be a bit more reliable.

--
Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks.  The rest gets trashed.

soundless Skype on iPad?

Post by Erila » Sat, 24 Sep 2011 05:46:19

>>> I've never had good luck with calls on Skype on iOS. I use Facetime for
>>> iPad to iPad calls.

>> Unless you are not on wi-fi at the time...

> Only wifi iPads here. I couldn't see spending the extra money for very
> occasional 3G. I did consider getting it for the GPS, but decided $140
> was too much for that.

When I bought mine, it wasn't the initial price differential that stopped
me, but paying for connection time.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

1. iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2?

iPad 2 owners: buy an iPad 3 or keep your iPad 2? How long will you keep
using your iPad 2?

I somehow wished to have an iPad 3 mainly because I really wanted to have
the Ratina display...,but changing the iPad yearly doesn't make
sense...it's too expensive to do this and it's a quality product which can
be used several years or at least as long it's supported by Apple. IT
products are too quick out of date.

What are your thoughts on it?

2. sql command - copy of one row

3. ANN: IPAD v0.7.1 (IPAD-Pro derived: Intelligent vector drawing package)

4. Urgent Requirement :-SAP CR&B Billing Lead

5. Hope all is well?

6. Choctris for soundless people

7. Help: "lock not creatable"

8. Can you develop a WEB site *on* the iPad (not *for* the iPad)?

9. What do you think about iPad/iPad 2 1024x768 res.?

10. Transfer iPad original to 'new' iPad

11. DIRECT CLIENT NEED: SharePoint Developer for long term in Plymouth Meetings, PA || One Skype Interview Tomorrow