Extreme Programming and small teams

Post by Russel » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 04:41:22

Hi

Can XP work with small teams (sometimes as small as 1) ?

Any articles on working with extremely small teams would be great.

TIA

Russell

Extreme Programming and small teams

Post by Shane Mingin » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:42:06

For as small as 1 see http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeProgrammingForOne

Pair programming is obviously a challenge :-)   When talking to your other
self do it quietly otherwise people get very worried about you *grin*

Shane

--

remove clothes before replying

"What are you famous for?" she asked.
"I am simply famous," he replied.

Quote:> Hi

> Can XP work with small teams (sometimes as small as 1) ?

> Any articles on working with extremely small teams would be great.

> TIA

> Russell

Extreme Programming and small teams

Post by Ernie Varitimo » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:51:23

Have you heard of the Personal Development Process (PSP)? The PSP is
actually a formalized approach to software development for the individual.
It can be practiced on a team of one or one hundred. It is even taught at
the college level at Carnegie Mellon SEI. It is based in many of the
concepts found in their Capability Maturity Model (CMM).

Although most experienced developers have developed a disciplined approach
to software development, there are some that will always code by the seat of
their pants. There is no doubt that disciple reaps efficiencies, and when
you are efficient opportunities for being creative are more abundant.

I find the PSP interesting, however it may be a bit too academic, I actually
prefer the term Personal Development Methodology (PSM) because it connotes
something more flexible. I have my own personal development methodology that
is loosely based on the high-level concepts of the Unified Process (phased
and iterative: Inception, Elaboration, Construction and Transition), and at
a lower-level adopting many of the concepts found in Agile modeling.

Believe it or not, you can do all four phases in a relatively short time
frame -- as little as a few days. Once you have developed your own P

Check out the following link:
http://www.sei.cmu.edu/tsp/psp.html

-ernie
http://javachief.org

Quote:> Hi

> Can XP work with small teams (sometimes as small as 1) ?

> Any articles on working with extremely small teams would be great.

> TIA

> Russell

Extreme Programming and small teams

Post by Robert C. Mart » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:15:29

on (or about)  Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:41:22 +0100, :

Quote:>Hi

>Can XP work with small teams (sometimes as small as 1) ?

Yes.  Pairing is a bit difficult.  Everything else you can do.
I think there's a wiki page on XP for One somewhere on http://c2.com

Robert C. Martin  | "Uncle Bob"

PO Box 5757       | Tel: (800) 338-6716
565 Lakeview Pkwy | Fax: (847) 573-1658           | www.objectmentor.com
Suite 135         |                               | www.XProgramming.com
Vernon Hills, IL, | Training and Mentoring        | www.junit.org
60061             | OO, XP, Java, C++, Python     |

1. Automation for Extreme Programming Teams?

Hello!

What are people using to support Extreme Programming development? In
my last project our most fundamental tools were JUnit, Ant, CVS, index
cards, and a cork board.

What other tools have people actually used in successful XP projects?
Are there any "groupware" tools that add value to index cards?

Thanks for your feedback...

2. Drive Partitions - Is this feasible

3. Extreme Programming (XP) Process is Extreme!

4. CNE Self Study?

5. VB experts only!: extreme small button?

6. Office 97 (SBE)

7. Aspect Oriented Programming work with Extreme Programming

8. Spectre GCR: Knowing What To Do Part II

9. Extreme programming without pair programming

10. Connections between Adaptive Programming and Extreme Programing

11. Aspect Oriented Programming work with Extreme Programming

12. Extreme Programming Light without pair programming?

13. Slowness with MSDev/C++ 4.1 when loaded Team Manager with Team Members