Dual Processor, Dual Operating System, memory

Dual Processor, Dual Operating System, memory

Post by A » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:26:01

I have been wondering if this is possible and/or if anyone has tried
this.

Using a dual processor mother board with DOS on one and widows on the
other.  Niether OS has to know the other exist.  All they have to do
is share a block of memory.  What I am tring to do is use a fast DOS
program to feed data to a nice looking GUI in Windows.

Thanks

Dual Processor, Dual Operating System, memory

Post by Sam Jos » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:36:54

Quote:>I have been wondering if this is possible and/or if anyone has tried
>this.

>Using a dual processor mother board with DOS on one and widows on the
>other.  Niether OS has to know the other exist.  All they have to do
>is share a block of memory.  What I am tring to do is use a fast DOS
>program to feed data to a nice looking GUI in Windows.

you never actually had your hands on a dual system, did you?
or have much knowledge about multiple OS installation, virtual PC's,
PC emulation?
Or what is eXtreme Programming about, the theme of the newsgroup you
are posting in?

uh, just asking, ye know, no offense meant.

you see, there are a few things you dont know about:
1) even on a dual board you can run only one OS at a time
   if you want a second OS you got to install an emulator
   (like Dos-Shell, vmware, virtual PC)
2) if you run the same code on Dos or Windows on the same machine it
wont be noticeable faster on Dos. Windows-programs only seem so much
slower because of the GUI and 'cause they usually do a lot more stuff
in them today then they did in the dos programs.
So moving your computation parts to a Dos program only will add
overhead for communication and much more work for the programmer, so
in the end it will be slower then a windows program.

3) you are absolutely in the wrong group here!

Sam