quick question

quick question

Post by Code Like He » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 04:25:03



where can I find the esoteric XP doctrine on inducing shared alpha state?
 
 
 

quick question

Post by Kent Bec » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:15:08




Quote:> where can I find the esoteric XP doctrine on inducing shared alpha state?

It sounds like you're looking for the path to the very peak of pair
performance. Here's what I do consistently:
  * Eat/drink something together first.
  * Sit side-by side in comfy chairs.
  * Learn to communicate through touch (code with Italians or Tamils for
advanced lessons).
  * TDD in tiny steps.
  * Laugh a lot (it disperses the tension that interferes with the alpha
state).
  * Drink lots of water, so you'll have to get up and pee periodically.
Eat/drink together at these breaks.
  * Work on problems for which you already have passion.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Does that address your question?

Kent

 
 
 

quick question

Post by Code Like He » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:55:08





> > where can I find the esoteric XP doctrine on inducing shared alpha state?

> It sounds like you're looking for the path to the very peak of pair
> performance. Here's what I do consistently:
>   * Eat/drink something together first.
>   * Sit side-by side in comfy chairs.
>   * Learn to communicate through touch (code with Italians or Tamils for
> advanced lessons).
>   * TDD in tiny steps.
>   * Laugh a lot (it disperses the tension that interferes with the alpha
> state).
>   * Drink lots of water, so you'll have to get up and pee periodically.
> Eat/drink together at these breaks.
>   * Work on problems for which you already have passion.

> That's all I can think of at the moment. Does that address your question?

> Kent

Yes.  Everything makes sense but the touch--what does that do,  why is
that important?   What sorts of things can be communicated by touch?
What about all the tension added by trying to communicate that way?
What does touch contribute to the shared alpha in terms of developing
it and feedback?

Also,  what about an attitude shift:

Shared alpha would not get induced with this attitude:  what if each
member of the pair felt as if the other person might have information
that they might need?   Too much stress.

Shared alpha would get induced with this attitude:  what if each
member of the pair thinks the *pair* might have some information they
might need?  Individuals plug-in to the pair.  No stress there.

When talking about the value of PP, it's common to hear and say "two
heads are better than one",  when it is in fact one head.

I guess a simple way for mgrs to induce this is to address the pair,
and not the individuals.  Why don't they do this?  Are they not aware
of the power and efficiency (cost savings) of a paired brain?

Often you hear the argument that PP would give you instant knowledge
transfer and coverage when an individual leaves an organization.  This
is also inconsistent--pairs are not replaceable by the individuals
that formed them.  Mgrs will not get a performance continuity benefit
any more in PP than with individuals.  Don't they need to understand
this?

 
 
 

quick question

Post by Phli » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 07:26:07



> Yes.  Everything makes sense but the touch--what does that do,  why is
> that important?   What sorts of things can be communicated by touch?
> What about all the tension added by trying to communicate that way?
> What does touch contribute to the shared alpha in terms of developing
> it and feedback?

Don't touch while pairing.

(OH MY COD! A RIFT AMONG THE EXTREMOS! THEIR BUBBLE IS ABOUT TO BURST! HERE
COMES THE SCHISM!!!)

Quote:> Also,  what about an attitude shift:

> Shared alpha would not get induced with this attitude:  what if each
> member of the pair felt as if the other person might have information
> that they might need?   Too much stress.

"Alpha" rhythm is relaxed zoning. We want the human equivalent of the "Theta
rhythm" found in animals. This occurs during our dream state, and when we
are "in flow", which is when perniciously tracking one subject.

If your environment permits chronic improvements and positive reinforcement
over one current task, without distractions from other tasks, you can enter
"Flow". In this zone, every thought connects. When you emerge from Flow and
take a break, you may be surprised to find hours have passed. The sun may
have set, or dawned; you didn't notice.

In Flow, your short-term memory maintains an image of your current task.
This memory behaves like a CPU's storage cache. Interruptions that replace
the cache damage Flow. (Peaks in the intensity of your Flow will often
inspire your loved ones, even at long distance, to select that exact moment
to interrupt you.)

Our technical goals, TDD and PP, have distinct definitions, so we will know
unambiguously when we have them. Our real goal is Flow, a subjective
experience.

When you test, between hitting the test button and receiving a Green Bar,
the tests should take care of every possible detail that enables your
project's success; more details than fit in your short-term memory. The
Green Bar stimulates your brain's pleasure center, like playing a slot
machine in a *, except with test-first you always win. This stimulation
propels Flow, and reinforces your mental image.

But the Bar's stimulating color might not always be Green. Sometimes you
expect an assertion to fail, forcing code changes. To test our tests, in the
negative, we must write an assertion we expect to fail, and then hit the
test button. When adding the code, we expect the test to immediately pass.
When refactoring, we make the smallest change we can before testing, and we
expect a pass.

Our expectations channel intent into the code. To reinforce, each time you
hit the test button think the following, or say it aloud to your
pair-programmer:

 - New structure: "Predict compiler error."
 - New assertion: "Predict failure."
 - New code: "Predict success."
 - Refactoring step: "Predict success."

When writing an assertion and ensuring it fails for the correct reason, you
predict a Red Bar, and getting one stimulates Flow.

Quote:> Shared alpha would get induced with this attitude:  what if each
> member of the pair thinks the *pair* might have some information they
> might need?  Individuals plug-in to the pair.  No stress there.

The good things happen when the pairs are thinking >differently<.

There is no benefit to applying solo programming ideas, or test-last
programming ideas, to the experience of PP with TDD. Specifically, there is
no need to design up front, or "agree on a design up front", or even state
any kind of long-term goal. Of course if the inspiration or need arises to
do those things, do them. But it's perfectly safe to draw a card, pick a
pair, and start typing without doing either of them.

Quote:> When talking about the value of PP, it's common to hear and say "two
> heads are better than one",  when it is in fact one head.

If we were all in Vulcan Mind Meld, then there would be no point. (We'd need
to Quad Program to achieve the mental split needed!)

Quote:> I guess a simple way for mgrs to induce this is to address the pair,
> and not the individuals.  Why don't they do this?  Are they not aware
> of the power and efficiency (cost savings) of a paired brain?

> Often you hear the argument that PP would give you instant knowledge
> transfer and coverage when an individual leaves an organization.  This
> is also inconsistent--pairs are not replaceable by the individuals
> that formed them.  Mgrs will not get a performance continuity benefit
> any more in PP than with individuals.  Don't they need to understand
> this?

The best way for managers to learn this is to see pairs in action.

The >extra< best way is to pick managers who don't meddle in details that
should be the programmers' responsibilities.

All remaining arguments, though sometimes useful, are specious. There are
ways to achieve the "team knowledge" benefits without pairing. Some might
almost be as cheap as pairing. But >none< of them should be expected to be
enough to sway a manager.

--
  Phlip
            http://www.veryComputer.com/
  --  The meetings will continue
      until the schedule improves  --

 
 
 

quick question

Post by Akrat » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:20:38




Quote:>   * TDD in tiny steps.

What does "TDD" stand for?

Thanks

 
 
 

quick question

Post by Chris May » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:53:45


Test Driven Development



> >   * TDD in tiny steps.

> What does "TDD" stand for?

> Thanks

 
 
 

quick question

Post by Akrat » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:46:17




Quote:> Test Driven Development

Thanks!
 
 
 

quick question

Post by Vivek Venugopal » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:02:42





> > where can I find the esoteric XP doctrine on inducing shared alpha state?

> It sounds like you're looking for the path to the very peak of pair
> performance. Here's what I do consistently:
>   * Eat/drink something together first.
>   * Sit side-by side in comfy chairs.
>   * Learn to communicate through touch (code with Italians or Tamils for
> advanced lessons).

Kent,
  You really got me there.  What is commicate by touch got to do with
Pair programming ?  I am not very sure what you are trying to say.
Considering I am a tamil by birth you have me doubly curious :-)

Vivek

 
 
 

quick question

Post by Code Like He » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:24:32




> > Yes.  Everything makes sense but the touch--what does that do,  why is
> > that important?   What sorts of things can be communicated by touch?
> > What about all the tension added by trying to communicate that way?
> > What does touch contribute to the shared alpha in terms of developing
> > it and feedback?

> Don't touch while pairing.

> (OH MY COD! A RIFT AMONG THE EXTREMOS! THEIR BUBBLE IS ABOUT TO BURST! HERE
> COMES THE SCHISM!!!)

SOYLENT XP IS PEOPLE!!!  

Quote:

> > Also,  what about an attitude shift:

> > Shared alpha would not get induced with this attitude:  what if each
> > member of the pair felt as if the other person might have information
> > that they might need?   Too much stress.

> "Alpha" rhythm is relaxed zoning. We want the human equivalent of the "Theta
> rhythm" found in animals. This occurs during our dream state, and when we
> are "in flow", which is when perniciously tracking one subject.

Theta rhythm was found in yogis and zen practitioners...it's the next
bigger wavelength than alpha,  read that somewhere.

Quote:

> If your environment permits chronic improvements and positive reinforcement
> over one current task, without distractions from other tasks, you can enter
> "Flow". In this zone, every thought connects. When you emerge from Flow and
> take a break, you may be surprised to find hours have passed. The sun may
> have set, or dawned; you didn't notice.

Flow may require those conditions,  for a relatively brief period,  to
get started,  but once the flame is going you can be interrupted and
even go home,  with some passing unit tests...but you say this below.
XP supports easy starting and maintenance of the flame,  where before
it was magic or you had to steal it.

Quote:

> In Flow, your short-term memory maintains an image of your current task.
> This memory behaves like a CPU's storage cache. Interruptions that replace
> the cache damage Flow. (Peaks in the intensity of your Flow will often
> inspire your loved ones, even at long distance, to select that exact moment
> to interrupt you.)

Wouldn't XP practices be geared for starting and building Flow, even
if you have a life?  Ah I see you answer this below...

Quote:

> Our technical goals, TDD and PP, have distinct definitions, so we will know
> unambiguously when we have them. Our real goal is Flow, a subjective
> experience.

Flow is objectively measurable.

Quote:

> When you test, between hitting the test button and receiving a Green Bar,
> the tests should take care of every possible detail that enables your
> project's success; more details than fit in your short-term memory. The
> Green Bar stimulates your brain's pleasure center,

I like Red.  I prefer the state where I have a broken test.  

Quote:> like playing a slot
> machine in a *, except with test-first you always win. This stimulation
> propels Flow, and reinforces your mental image.

> But the Bar's stimulating color might not always be Green. Sometimes you
> expect an assertion to fail, forcing code changes. To test our tests, in the
> negative, we must write an assertion we expect to fail, and then hit the
> test button. When adding the code, we expect the test to immediately pass.
> When refactoring, we make the smallest change we can before testing, and we
> expect a pass.

> Our expectations channel intent into the code. To reinforce, each time you
> hit the test button think the following, or say it aloud to your
> pair-programmer:

>  - New structure: "Predict compiler error."
>  - New assertion: "Predict failure."
>  - New code: "Predict success."
>  - Refactoring step: "Predict success."

This is cool.  You got any handy weasel phrases for this?  I mean a
phrase that could covertly get the process going,  that could be
slipped into a conversation without raising an XP Alert.
"Refactoring" and "assertion" are not candidate terms for this.

Quote:

> When writing an assertion and ensuring it fails for the correct reason, you
> predict a Red Bar, and getting one stimulates Flow.

> > Shared alpha would get induced with this attitude:  what if each
> > member of the pair thinks the *pair* might have some information they
> > might need?  Individuals plug-in to the pair.  No stress there.

> The good things happen when the pairs are thinking >differently<.

Of course.  You mean good things happen when the individuals
constituting the pair are thinking differently.  If they were thinking
the same,  then they may as well be programming solo,  because no new
ideas could arise, no learning could take place,  by combining
identical thought patterns.

Quote:

> There is no benefit to applying solo programming ideas, or test-last
> programming ideas, to the experience of PP with TDD. Specifically, there is
> no need to design up front, or "agree on a design up front", or even state
> any kind of long-term goal. Of course if the inspiration or need arises to
> do those things, do them. But it's perfectly safe to draw a card, pick a
> pair, and start typing without doing either of them.

Many people will not make this jump when you try to explain the value
of PP to them.  With PP at peak performance,  you are simply talking
to one brain composed to two individual brains.  How does this get rid
of BFUD, inspections,  or goals and the rest of the established
practices?

Quote:

> > When talking about the value of PP, it's common to hear and say "two
> > heads are better than one",  when it is in fact one head.

> If we were all in Vulcan Mind Meld, then there would be no point. (We'd need
> to Quad Program to achieve the mental split needed!)

No point to what?  I said the common saying,  or way to understand the
benefits of PP,  transmits a misunderstanding of what PP is.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> > I guess a simple way for mgrs to induce this is to address the pair,
> > and not the individuals.  Why don't they do this?  Are they not aware
> > of the power and efficiency (cost savings) of a paired brain?

> > Often you hear the argument that PP would give you instant knowledge
> > transfer and coverage when an individual leaves an organization.  This
> > is also inconsistent--pairs are not replaceable by the individuals
> > that formed them.  Mgrs will not get a performance continuity benefit
> > any more in PP than with individuals.  Don't they need to understand
> > this?

> The best way for managers to learn this is to see pairs in action.

> The >extra< best way is to pick managers who don't meddle in details that
> should be the programmers' responsibilities.

> All remaining arguments, though sometimes useful, are specious. There are
> ways to achieve the "team knowledge" benefits without pairing. Some might
> almost be as cheap as pairing. But >none< of them should be expected to be
> enough to sway a manager.

If a mgr is going to steer,  a mgr needs to know what they are
driving.  There appears to be some misunderstanding of that.  They
think they have two sedans when they actually have a one 4WD SUV.

Also,  a range of challenges comparing the performance of Solo versus
Pair have to be studied.  I don't think the entire range has been
accounted for,  just small studies of a limited number of tasks.

 
 
 

quick question

Post by news.verizon.ne » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:05:01


GREAT WAY TO MAKE MONEY-READ THIS!!!!!!

Monday, 17-Aug-98 01:09:13

130.85.97.152 writes:

HOW TO TURN $6 INTO $6,000!!!!!!

READING THIS COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

I found this on a bulletin board and decided to try it. A little

while back, I was browsing through newsgroups, just like you are now,

and came across an article similar to this that said you could make

thousands of dollars within weeks with only an initial investment of

$6.00! So I thought, Yeah right, this must be a scam,but

like most of us, I was curious, so I kept reading. Anyway, it said

that you send $1.00 to each of the 6 names and address stated in the

article. You then place your own name and address in the bottom of

the list at #6, and post the article in at least 200 newsgroups.

(There are thousands) No catch, that was it. So after thinking it

over, and talking to a few people first, I thought about trying it. I

figured: what have I got to lose except 6 stamps and $6.00,

right? Then I invested the measly $6.00. Well GUESS WHAT!!...

within 7 days, I started getting money in the mail! I was shocked! I

figured it would end soon, but the money just kept coming in. In my

first week, I made about $25.00. By the end of the second week I had

made a total of over $1,000.00! In the third week I had over

$10,000.00 and it's still growing. This is now my fourth week and I

have made a total of just over $42,000.00 and it's still coming in

rapidly. It's certainly worth $6.00, and 6 stamps, I have spent more

than that on the lottery!! Let me tell you how this works and most

importantly, why it works....Also, make sure you print a copy of this

article NOW, so you can get the information off of it as you need it.

I promise you that if you follow the directions exactly, that you

will start making more money than you thought possible by doing

something so easy!

Suggestion: Read this entire message carefully! (print it out or

download it.) Follow the simple directions and watch the money come in!

It's easy. It's legal. And, your investment is only $6.00 (Plus postage)

IMPORTANT: This is not a rip-off; it is not indecent; it is not

illegal; and it is virtually no risk - it really works!!!!

If all of the following instructions are adhered to, you will receive

extraordinary dividends.

PLEASE NOTE:

Please follow these directions EXACTLY, and $50,000 or more can be

yours in 20 to 60 days. This program remains successful because of

the honesty and integrity of the participants. Please continue its

success by carefully adhering to the instructions.

You will now become part of the Mail Order business. In this business

your product is not solid and tangible, it's a service. You are in

the business of developing Mailing Lists. Many large corporations are

happy to pay big bucks for quality lists. However, the money made

from the mailing lists is secondary to the income which is made from

people like you and me asking to be included in that list.

Here are the 4 easy steps to success:

STEP 1: Get 6 separate pieces of paper and write the following on

each piece of paper;PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR MAILING LIST. Now

get 6 US $1.00 bills and place ONE inside EACH of the 6 pieces of

paper so the bill will not be seen through the envelope (to prevent

thievery). Next, place one paper in each of the 6 envelopes and seal

them. You should now have 6 sealed envelopes, each with a piece of

paper stating the above phrase, your name and address, and a $1.00

bill. What you are doing is creating a service. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY

LEGAL! You are requesting a legitimate service and you are paying for

it! Like most of us I was a little skeptical and a little worried

about the legal aspects of it all. So I checked it out with the U.S.

Post Office (1-800-725-2161) and they confirmed that it is indeed

legal! Mail the 6 envelopes to the following addresses:

#1) Jeff Millan

1113 N. 19 ?

McAllen,TX 78501

#2) R. Overton

P.O. Box 18818

So. Lake Tahoe, CA 96151

#3) KEVIN LEE

8377 APT. I MONTGOMERY RUN RD.

ELLICOTT CITY MD 21043

#4) Stephanie Hicks

1283 Evening Canyon

Henderson NV 89014

#5) Matt Madracki

P.O. Box 1529

Sutton West, Ontario

L0E 1R0

#6)Ronald Andrews

2100 beekman place apt.1m

new york,ny 11225

STEP 2: Now take the #1 name off the list that you see above, move

the other names up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc...) and add YOUR

Name as number 6 on the list.

STEP 3: Change anything you need to, but try to keep this article as

close to original as possible. Now, post your amended article to at

least 200 newsgroups. (I think there are close to 24,000 groups) All

you need is 200, but remember, the more you post, the more money you make!

This is perfectly legal! If you have any doubts, refer to Title 18

Sec. 1302 & 1341 of the Postal lottery laws.

Keep a copy of these steps for yourself and, whenever you need money,

you can use it again, and again.

PLEASE REMEMBER that this program remains successful because of the

honesty and integrity of the participants and by their carefully

adhering to the directions. Look at it this way. If you are of

integrity, the program will continue and the money that so many

others have received will come your way.

NOTE: You may want to retain every name and address sent to you,

either on a computer or hard copy and keep the notes people send you.

This VERIFIES that you are truly providing a service. (Also, it might

be a good idea to wrap the $1 bill in dark paper to reduce the risk of mail
theft.)

So, as each post is downloaded and the directions carefully followed,

six members will be reimbursed for their participation as a List

Developer with one dollar each. Your name will move up the list

geometrically so that when your name reaches the #1 position you will

be receiving thousands of dollars in CASH!!! What an opportunity for

only $6.00 ($1.00 for each of the first six people listed above) Send

it now, add your own name to the list and you're in business!

---DIRECTIONS ----- FOR HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS------------

Step 1) You do not need to re-type this entire letter to do your own

posting. Simply put your cursor at the beginning of this letter and

drag your cursor to the bottom of this document, and select 'copy'

from the edit menu. This will copy the entire letter into the

computer's memory.

Step 2) Open a blank 'notepad' file and place your cursor at the top

of the blank page. From the 'edit' menu select 'paste'. This will

paste a copy of the letter into notepad so that you can add your name

to the list.

Step 3) Save your new notepad file as a .txt file. If

you want to do your postings in different settings, you'll always

have this file to go back to.

Step 4) Use Netscape or Internet explorer and try searching for

various newsgroups (on-line forums, message boards, chat sites,

discussions.)

Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this article as a new

message by highlighting the text of this letter and selecting paste

from the edit menu. Fill in the Subject, this will be the header that

everyone sees as they scroll through the list of postings in a

particular group, click the post message button. You're done with

your first one! Congratulations...THAT'S IT! All you have to do is

jump to different newsgroups and post away, after you get the hang of

it, it will take about 30 seconds for each newsgroup!

**REMEMBER, THE MORE NEWSGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL MAKE!!
BUT YOU HAVE TO POST A

MINIMUM OF 200**

That's it! You will begin receiving money from around the world within days!
You may eventually want to rent a P.O.Box due to the large amount of mail
you

will receive. If

you wish to stay anonymous, you can invent a name to use, as long as

the postman will deliver it.

**JUST MAKE SURE ALL THE ADDRESSES ARE CORRECT.**

Now the WHY part:

Out of 200 postings, say I receive only 5 replies (a very low example). So
then I made $5.00 with my name at #6 on the letter. Now, each of the 5
persons

who just sent me $1.00 make the MINIMUM 200

postings, each with my name at #5 and only 5 persons respond to each

of the original 5, that is another $25.00 for me, now those 25 each

make 200 MINIMUM posts with my name at #4 and only 5 replies each, I

will bring in an additional $125.00! Now, those 125 persons turn

around and post the MINIMUM 200 with my name at #3 and only receive 5

replies each, I will make an additional $626.00! OK, now here is the

fun part, each of those 625 persons post a MINIMUM 200 letters with

my name at #2 and they each only receive 5 replies, that just made me

$3,125.00!!! Those 3,125 persons will all deliver this message to 200

newsgroups with my name at #1 and if still 5 persons per 200

newsgroups react I will receive $15,625,00! With an original

investment of only $6.00! AMAZING! When your name is no longer on the

list, you just take the latest posting in the newsgroups, and send

out another $6.00 to names on the list, putting your name at number 6

again. And start posting again. The thing to remember is: do you

realize that thousands of people all over the world are joining the

internet and reading these articles everyday?, JUST LIKE YOU are

now!! So, can you afford $6.00 and see if it really works?? I think

so... People have said, &quote;what if the plan is played out and no

one sends you the money? So what! What are the chances of that

happening when there are tons of new honest users and new honest

people who are joining the internet and newsgroups everyday and are

willing to give it a try? Estimates are at 20,000 to 50,000 new

users, every day, with thousands of those joining the actual

internet.

Remember: play FAIRLY and HONESTLY and this will really

work.

"Kent Beck" <kentb...@csi.com> wrote in message

news:bctg62$6fb$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...

> "Code Like Hell" <dangerfin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:212dcb5c.0306191125.a4c57f7@posting.google.com...

...

read more »

 
 
 

1. device context quick question

I have a quick question refering to device context values
in VB6. What range of values are given to device contexts
through all the different versions of Windows?

Just through some sample testing and guessing, I believe
Win9x only has positive DC's but NT (4.0, 2000, XP) can
have positive and negative values for DC's. Is my
assumption true or not? Thanks alot!

2. Vipermax under os/2

3. quick question on using InsertTailList

4. X-10 Ceiling Light Question

5. A quick question about filter/bus driver...

6. Call For Papers, CANPC '97

7. Quick Question...

8. Selected = True not working

9. 2 quick questions

10. Gwyn Cole, a quick question about your example.

11. Quick Question

12. Quick question from a newcomer

13. Quick Question