Two 1004 => 256Kb

Post by Pierre Roy Porret » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

has  anyone  tried using two 1004 On the same ethernet segment  using
2 BRI connections in order to have a 256Kb connetion ???

Some people a Cisco think it should work with HSRP running on both
1004 routers...

coments, experiences....

Thanks

P.

Two 1004 => 256Kb

Post by Tony L » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00

   has  anyone  tried using two 1004 On the same ethernet segment  using
   2 BRI connections in order to have a 256Kb connetion ???

   Some people a Cisco think it should work with HSRP running on both
   1004 routers...

While that configuration will "work" (i.e., packets will flow), HSRP does
NOT provide transparent load balancing.

Note that you might consider compression as one means of achieving a
similar goal.  The 1004 compresses quite nicely, thank you.  ;-)

Tony

Two 1004 => 256Kb

Post by Brad Hil » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00

 >  has  anyone  tried using two 1004 On the same ethernet segment  using
 >  2 BRI connections in order to have a 256Kb connetion ???

Quote:>   Some people a Cisco think it should work with HSRP running on both
>   1004 routers...

I assume you want to get 256Kbps by connecting to two seperate ISDN
carrier basic rate services? The 1004 has only one BRI interface. It
cannot be connected to two seperate ISDN basic rate services. This is a
not a limitation of the Cisco, but inherent in the ISDN basic rate
standard, you can't connect one S-BUS to two NT-1's. To get 256Kbps you
need a router with more ports.

As the 1004 runs IOS, you should be able to get 128Kbps aggregation with
the multilink-PPP feature.

Cheers,
Brad.

Two 1004 => 256Kb

Post by Tony L » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

   Ok, so 2 1004 routers will get the packets trough but will not load balance.
   So the only solution to have a 256Kb is having a 4000 (we have one in test
   at the moment) or putting the compression on a 1004 but that does not
   garantee a 256Kb pipe.

   Will 2 X 1004 give a 256Kb troughput if the client has more incoming packets
   then outgoing packets i.e. the 7513 will load balance outgoing packets ???

You can get load sharing outbound of the 7513, yes.  You still would have
to play games on the 1004 end to get the clients to load share across the
two 1004s.

   Will that work more with Multilink PPP ???

Certainly.  However, you need to be sure to not confuse your B channels.
Trying to do multilink across two B channels connected to different 1004's
won't work too well.  ;-)  Fortunately, the obvious configuration should
work just fine.

Tony

Two 1004 => 256Kb

Post by Pierre Roy Porrett » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Ok, so 2 1004 routers will get the packets trough but will not load balance.
So the only solution to have a 256Kb is having a 4000 (we have one in test
at the moment) or putting the compression on a 1004 but that does not
garantee a 256Kb pipe.

Will 2 X 1004 give a 256Kb troughput if the client has more incoming packets
then outgoing packets i.e. the 7513 will load balance outgoing packets ???

Will that work more with Multilink PPP ???

Thanks...

P.

Quote:

>   has  anyone  tried using two 1004 On the same ethernet segment  using
>   2 BRI connections in order to have a 256Kb connetion ???

>   Some people a Cisco think it should work with HSRP running on both
>   1004 routers...

>While that configuration will "work" (i.e., packets will flow), HSRP does
>NOT provide transparent load balancing.

>Note that you might consider compression as one means of achieving a
>similar goal.  The 1004 compresses quite nicely, thank you.  ;-)

>Tony

1. Cisco 1004 vs. CiscoPro 1004

I would appreciate if anybody answers my question:

Can an IP/IPX feature set (IOS 11.1)for CiscoPro 1004 work on
Cisco 1004 router, or there are hardware or firmware differences
between these two products that could prevent that.

Thank you.

Artak Melkonian

2. Urgent Requirements ---DataStage developer

3. 1004 - 1004 connection issues

4. 2 newbie questions

5. 1004 to 3640 Second B problems

6. New game under construction ...

7. Cisco 1004, Multilink PPP, and second ISDN Channel

8. Looking for Tech Editors

9. ISDN BRI 1004 <--> 4500

10. 1004 isdn <-> DMS-100

11. <<<<<<<< Lan Guru's Please Help >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

12. REVEAL PM7oo INTERNAL INIT ...PLEASE>>>>>>>

13. >>>>>>>A Conspiracy?<<<<<<<