Cisco 675 Syslog question

Post by Roy Dav » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 06:29:13

Is there a way to make the cisco 675 log all incoming and outgoing
traffic out to my syslog daemon? I have syslog working on it right
now, but it isn't posting any traffic info out to my syslog daemon,
only infomational crap, like when I reboot the 675 itself. Is it
capable of providing the data I want?

thanks

Cisco 675 Syslog question

Post by Benjamin Standin » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 11:37:10

You are probably only getting Informational syslog because of your level of
loggong. You can set the logging to debug and also set the error levels for
quick console logging (not recommended with debug due to possible crashing).
Also verify that your syslog daemon is capturing this by checking the
syslog.conf file.

Quote:> Is there a way to make the cisco 675 log all incoming and outgoing
> traffic out to my syslog daemon? I have syslog working on it right
> now, but it isn't posting any traffic info out to my syslog daemon,
> only infomational crap, like when I reboot the 675 itself. Is it
> capable of providing the data I want?

> thanks

Cisco 675 Syslog question

Post by Roy Dav » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 04:52:59

I figured that was the case, but I have been unable to figure out
exactly how to set that logging level. I have searched both Cisco's
site, and google groups looking for the correct sequence on CBOS
commands, but have not had any luck. My syslog daemon is winsyslog
(http://www.winsyslog.com). All I see coming into it is the
informational stuff I mentioned in my previous post. Any 675 owners
out there who have gotten this to work???

thanks

> You are probably only getting Informational syslog because of your level of
> loggong. You can set the logging to debug and also set the error levels for
> quick console logging (not recommended with debug due to possible crashing).
> Also verify that your syslog daemon is capturing this by checking the
> syslog.conf file.

> > Is there a way to make the cisco 675 log all incoming and outgoing
> > traffic out to my syslog daemon? I have syslog working on it right
> > now, but it isn't posting any traffic info out to my syslog daemon,
> > only infomational crap, like when I reboot the 675 itself. Is it
> > capable of providing the data I want?

> > thanks

Cisco 675 Syslog question

Post by Paradig » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 06:53:34

Roy,

I had the same situation, I have the same router, (675) and with the
older cbos 2.2.0 I was at least seeing some of the errors, MTU requests etc.

After upgrading to CBOS  2.4.2 I hardly saw anything except
log in errors and up and down interface status. Here is the fix.

I am logging to a linux syslog server, so the standard is fairly
traditional.
I am assuming that your syslog client/server is working -per you
mentioning you are seeing the up and down connects, etc.
To enable debug on the cisco 675:

set errors debug            # sets debug error logging on
set errors module all      # sets debug logging for all the cisco modules
(leave off "all" for a list)
write                            # if you want to save the config
Don't expect lots of info to come pouring in. This
thing isn't overly generous.  :~)

-Spark

> I figured that was the case, but I have been unable to figure out
> exactly how to set that logging level. I have searched both Cisco's
> site, and google groups looking for the correct sequence on CBOS
> commands, but have not had any luck. My syslog daemon is winsyslog
> (http://www.winsyslog.com). All I see coming into it is the
> informational stuff I mentioned in my previous post. Any 675 owners
> out there who have gotten this to work???

> thanks

> > You are probably only getting Informational syslog because of your level
of
> > loggong. You can set the logging to debug and also set the error levels
for
> > quick console logging (not recommended with debug due to possible
crashing).
> > Also verify that your syslog daemon is capturing this by checking the
> > syslog.conf file.

> > > Is there a way to make the cisco 675 log all incoming and outgoing
> > > traffic out to my syslog daemon? I have syslog working on it right
> > > now, but it isn't posting any traffic info out to my syslog daemon,
> > > only infomational crap, like when I reboot the 675 itself. Is it
> > > capable of providing the data I want?

> > > thanks

1. Cisco 675 <-> Cisco 675, no dslam

Will this configuration work to pass data from point a to point b over a
pair of wires?  Has anyone done it?  I have a spare '675 and my ISP bought
one on eBay.  Anyway, the application is to pass 512k of bandwidth
from point a to point b over a pair of wires within the same building.
We tried just ethernet but the distance was too great and we can't install
repeaters.  Cisco's pre-sales tech support said it was possible to get the
two to pass data over the wire.

Well, lots of things are "possible" with Cisco products :-) but getting the
config files just right so the two boxes make nice is quite another matter.
Have any of you ever tried this??  The Cisco that I have was formerly used
with US West's DSL offering, I know nothing about the other box at this
point.
Are the default passwords left that way or does USWest do something special?

I will post my results to this NG.  I intend to try a straight thru cable,
and if that doesn't work I'll cross tip and ring.  Would settle for bridge
mode but will try for routing PPP.  I have the older version of the software
on the 675 that I've got, don't know about the other one.

Tim Petlock

2. assembler dissassembler

3. Newbie question - Cisco 675 / ftp question

4. Ace-Fax, from Ace Technology

5. Newbie Question: Cisco 1605-R and Cisco 675

6. MacSLIP Problems

7. Routing question concerning a Cisco 675

8. Hardware Guides On The Web

9. Cisco 675 static IP question

10. Cisco 675 Router question

11. 2.1 Cisco 675 firmware question

12. Qwest DSL Cisco 675 678 CBOS 2.4.6 question