Is 11.0.9 good enough for ADSL?

Post by Jonas Fornande » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

We have a 2511 running 11.0.9. We are going to connect an incoming FR
connection from GTE so we can provide ADSL. In GTE's documentation they
recommend running 11.3.

Is 11.3 necessary to provide ADSL?
If we can use 11.0.9 are there any major features that we will miss out on?

System Administrator - I think therefore I RAM
Netwood Communications - www.netwood.net
Find Out Why We're Better - Tel: 310-442-1530

Is 11.0.9 good enough for ADSL?

Post by William R. Charnoc » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

You have to run an image that supports IRB (Integrated routing and
Bridging).  We upgraded to 12.0.3 and haven't had any problems.

--
William Charnock
CTO, FastLane Internet Services

> We have a 2511 running 11.0.9. We are going to connect an incoming FR
> connection from GTE so we can provide ADSL. In GTE's documentation they
> recommend running 11.3.

> Is 11.3 necessary to provide ADSL?
> If we can use 11.0.9 are there any major features that we will miss out on?

> System Administrator - I think therefore I RAM
> Netwood Communications - www.netwood.net
> Find Out Why We're Better - Tel: 310-442-1530

Is 11.0.9 good enough for ADSL?

Post by Doug Smit » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

The requirement from GTE to run ADSL service is a bridged virtual interface
"BVI"  If that version is capable of this your in business.  mail me
personally if you need a sample config and more detail

Shall we start an ADSL newsgroup?
I am bombarded with questions from other ISP's that have found GTE's
instructions less than accurate.  I also have several questions of my own.

> We have a 2511 running 11.0.9. We are going to connect an incoming FR
> connection from GTE so we can provide ADSL. In GTE's documentation they
> recommend running 11.3.

> Is 11.3 necessary to provide ADSL?
> If we can use 11.0.9 are there any major features that we will miss out
on?

> System Administrator - I think therefore I RAM
> Netwood Communications - www.netwood.net
> Find Out Why We're Better - Tel: 310-442-1530

1. 11 Mbps wireless - 40 bit WEP good enough?

Looking around at the different providers of 11 mbps wireless
equipment, there  is 128 bit WEP, 40 bit WEP and NO WEP equipment
available.  The Compaq (Breezecom) equipment is 40 bit WEP and seems
to be priced right.  Is this good enough security or should I make an
effort to get 128 WEP?  This equipment will be used in a home
environment with  banking and stock trading executed over the wireless
network.

Thanks in advance.

2. money 97 on Microsoft XP

3. Is SMC/EZ NIC Card for BA ADSL Good Enough

4. Off Broadway - 3D Studio MAX $2,495 w/Free upgrade to MAX Release 2

5. Has Verizon Adsl been good or am I lucky?

6. FS 520ST

7. Pretty Good Privacy Not Good Enough

8. Connection systems

9. : ODI with WFW3.11 - not enough memory error!

10. Now I am puzzled, I thought I knew enough

11. Good serial drvr for win3.11 ??

12. firewall for adsl/nw4.11

13. SpeedStream 3060 ADSL Internal modem: good or not that good?