Switch to Switch with multiple VLAN Configuration HELP

Switch to Switch with multiple VLAN Configuration HELP

Post by Scott Murph » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have just installed a several new switches on my network. The problem is
that these switch will not see out of the vlan they are configured for. I
have 3 VLANs setup 194, 310 and 710. The switches plug in to a 2924
enterprise switch which in turn is connected to a 3620 router.  How should
these new switches be configured. Right now only VLAN 1 is setup. Again
these switches belong in VLAN 194 but must see VLANs 310 and 710 (both have
different IP address schemes). If more info is needed ask and I will fill in
more.

Scott Murphy

Post by Terry Kenned » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I have just installed a several new switches on my network. The problem is
> that these switch will not see out of the vlan they are configured for. I
> have 3 VLANs setup 194, 310 and 710. The switches plug in to a 2924
> enterprise switch which in turn is connected to a 3620 router.  How should
> these new switches be configured. Right now only VLAN 1 is setup. Again
> these switches belong in VLAN 194 but must see VLANs 310 and 710 (both have
> different IP address schemes). If more info is needed ask and I will fill in
> more.

  You want to enable VLAN trunking (either ISL or 802.1q, depending on which
is supported by all of your hardware) as well as VTP, which lets you set up
one switch as a master (where you define all your VLANs) and the VLAN info
the propagates to the other client switches. You still need to assign ports
to VLANs on each switch, but the VLAN definitions are updated for you.

  The procedures for this vary depending on the switch family in use. On the
2924XL, the procedure for setting up a VLAN trunk looks like this:

interface FastEthernet0/23
 description ISL to 121 1-1
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk

  and VTP client mode is the default (do a "show vtp status" once you have
the trunk configured). Of course, you'll need to set up the VTP domain and
one switch as VTP master first.

        Terry Kennedy             Operations Manager, Academic Computing

        +1 201 915 9381 (voice)   +1 201 435-3662 (FAX)

1. VLAN Trunking Cisco Cat 5500 switch (multiple vlans per port) help please

I have what I thought was a simple trunking setup to setup, but am
ahving difficulties getting it right.

I have a service deliverd to me on a Cisco 2924 switch
2 ports active
vlan trunking turned on
Port 1 has 10 vlans on it numbered 230-239
Port 2 has 10 vlans on it numbered 240-249

Right now I have 2 cisco 7513's receiving this data (one for each
port)

What I'd like to do is replace the 2 7513's with one 7206VXR box.
(only using 1 Fast ether on the 7206)(data will fit the 100meg port)

So I thought about running the 2 ports from the cisco 2924 into one of
my Cat 5500 switches (that does support dot1q) combining the vlans
onto one port and running that port to my cisco 7206.

First I'm assuming this is possible?

I'm assuming I could enable trunking on the 3 cat 5000 ports I need to
use.
Take the first port and run it to my 7206
and the next 2 port and run them to the cat 2924
Then I assume I could specify what vlans would be active on each port.
aka: port 1 would have all 20 vlans on it. (nothing else)
       and port 2 would have vlans 230-239
       and port 3 would have vlans 240-249

I think I have the ports setup properly
but don't know how to assign the multiple vlans to each port
(and make sure it excludes all other vlans from these ports as well)

Any/all help/pointers greatly appreciated.

2. FS: DEC 3100 & 5000/133

3. native vlan mismatch on 2 2924 switches w/ only 1 vlan defined (same on both switches)

4. how vb handles Winziped .mdb file with password protected

5. Multiple VLAN on 1 Cisco Switch

6. Addressbook fcc-value ignored with reply

7. Switching VLAN configuration with a script from within the net

8. NLMs on MPR?

9. multiple vlans on a single port switch question

10. Multiple ip address same vlan layer 3 switch

11. WTB: Alteon Switches/ Extreme Network Switches/ XLNT Switches

12. Please help - Entire vlan over many switches dying