2500 Router Question..... (Maybe Routing Question)

2500 Router Question..... (Maybe Routing Question)

Post by Bill McCor » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 15:32:05

I have a question about the 2500 series routers. Maybe just Routers in
general, we'll see.
I have purchased a Router (2501) to use for my ccna. I am now able to telnet
into it and access it through a web browser. what I need to know how to do
is be able to access it from the outside.
eg: I have a home network and the router is part of it. Lets just say E0:
192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0
When I connect to the internet I get a IP of 208.235.xxx.xxx.
How can I access the Router from the real world ?
I hope I am explaining myself ok....
If my computer is 192.168.0.1 then the other computers can use that as a
gateway. How about the router ? Is there a gateway command ??
Or am I just wishing too hard ??

Thanks,
Bill......

2500 Router Question..... (Maybe Routing Question)

Post by Ian » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Bill,

Your home network (192.168.x.x) is a private address range, not routable
over the Internet.

By when you 'connect' to the Internet I assume you mean dial-in from your PC
(by modem - correct me if I'm wrong here, and stop reading as all the rest
is based on it).  If so your PC has then become a multihomed host; if NT,
capable of some very basic routing; if a xNIX slightly more so.  However as
your 192.168.x.x is not accessible from outside you can't reach hosts
through it.  At some stage you will have to do NAT (Network Address
Translation) where an IP address on one side is converted to another one on
the other.  e.g. 208.235.0.1 translates directly to 192.168.0.1 on other
side.

Also your ISP assigns an IP address by DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration
Protocol), which will be different every time you connect.  Means you'll
have to know it in advance before you try to reach your router from the
Inet.

As a 2501 has 1x ethernet + 2x serial (if I remember right) you have a
number of options:
1)  Get a leased line to the Internet from your ISP.  Connect your router
directly to the Inet, configure NAT on the router & connect your home LAN
through it.  Solves all your problems.  Costs a fortune & takes six months
to get installed.  A bit of overkill.
2)  Configure an async interface on your router, config dial-strings & all
that rubbish, and get it to do the dial to the ISP.  Not sure if it's
possible as one router i/f needs to pick up a DHCP address, but interesting
project.  Also an order of magnitude more than you'll be asked in the CCNA.
3)  Put some firewall software on the PC, get it to do the NAT and routing.
Not directly relevant to CCNA exam, but experience would be more than
helpful.

Hope this helps.  Good luck,
Ian M

Quote:> I have a question about the 2500 series routers. Maybe just Routers in
> general, we'll see.
> I have purchased a Router (2501) to use for my ccna. I am now able to
telnet
> into it and access it through a web browser. what I need to know how to do
> is be able to access it from the outside.
> eg: I have a home network and the router is part of it. Lets just say E0:
> 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0
> When I connect to the internet I get a IP of 208.235.xxx.xxx.
> How can I access the Router from the real world ?
> I hope I am explaining myself ok....
> If my computer is 192.168.0.1 then the other computers can use that as a
> gateway. How about the router ? Is there a gateway command ??
> Or am I just wishing too hard ??

> Thanks,
> Bill......

1. 2500 Router and ISDN (Germany) Question

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be possible to config  the BRI
Port on 2500 Router to Dial on Demand ony when the Internet is needed and
disconnect after the Internet is not needed?  I am thinking of buying a 2500
Router and would like to know if this function works before I spend money on
it.  I would connect my comptuer's NIC to the MAU (10Mbps) and connect the
BRI to my ISDN Line and do the necessary configurations.  my problem is that
D-Telekom assigns a dynamic ip address. Will the Cisco Routers be able to
process that? If they do what router command would I use? I know most of the
time they deal with static IPs.  Any information would be helpful.  THanks.

Radley Ramirez

2. WTB Best 1200 for £120

3. 2500 memory question - how much memory does this router have?

4. Cyclic Deconvolution

5. Questions about how to configure CISCO 2500 routers using

6. Anybody seen this datagrid bug/issue or want to make fun of me for not seeing my mistake?

7. Cisco 2500 router configuration question. Please help.

8. Book Review: "How Local Area Networks Work" by Kosiur/Angel

9. Basic 2500 router question

10. Newbie question: How swapable is the Flash in the 2500 series routers

11. easy question: Hyperterminal-to-Cisco 2500 router...

12. dumb question maybe, but......using a pix w/o a router possible?

13. Router Question for you gurus out there Maybe O/T