Routing question concerning a Cisco 675

Post by Chris Patricc » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:14:11

Hello folks, I'm trying to setup my Cisco 675 so that all requests for
192.168.0.5 go through it 192.168.0.1 and to that address. 192.168.0.5 is
my fileserver just for reference. Here's the command that I type in after I
enter exec mode, set route add ip 192.168.0.5 gw 192.168.0.1 which I
believe is correct. For some reason though after I do a tracert from one of
my other PCs the first hop is still my ISP's gateway, could this be because
the router is operating in bridged mode? All help is appreciated.

Routing question concerning a Cisco 675

Post by Brandon Buckne » Thu, 09 May 2002 01:14:45

Yes. If the 675 is in Bridged RFC1483 mode, everything will just pass
right through the 675 as if it were just another switch.

Brandonb

> Hello folks, I'm trying to setup my Cisco 675 so that all requests for
> 192.168.0.5 go through it 192.168.0.1 and to that address. 192.168.0.5 is
> my fileserver just for reference. Here's the command that I type in after I
> enter exec mode, set route add ip 192.168.0.5 gw 192.168.0.1 which I
> believe is correct. For some reason though after I do a tracert from one of
> my other PCs the first hop is still my ISP's gateway, could this be because
> the router is operating in bridged mode? All help is appreciated.

1. Cisco 675 routing question

I tried to setup the 675 in routing mode with DHCP, i.e. I wanted it
to have the static IP address assigned by my ISP, and assign 10.0.0.2 to
my computer, and then have the 675 use NAT to route the traffic from my
computer to the outside world.

I was able to get the DHCP part to work, and I could access the 675
via its web server on http://10.0.0.1, but I could not get in touch
with the outside world from the 675 after the config steps below. Neither
ping nor traceroute showed any signs of life.

Since my ISP uses RFC1483 bridging instead of PPP, I ran
'set rfc1483 enable' to enable 1483 routing (not bridging) instead of
PPP. Then I ran
'set nat enable'
'set interface wan0-0 dest my_ip_address (x.y.z.36)'
'set interface wan0-0 mask my_netmask' before 'write' and 'reboot'.
(I don't really know what RFC1483 routing means -- I guess I'll be
doing some searching for that information)

The various 'show interface' commands now seemed to indicate that the
interfaces were in place and running, including wan0 and wan0-0. However,
'show route' did not show any gateway from the 675 to the outside world.
I tried to 'set route add ip 0.0.0.0 gw x.y.z.1', but could not get it to
accept this or any other 'set route add ip x.y.z.z gw x.y.z.1'
commands. It would always complain about "Error: check your input". Yes,
I did use the proper numbers instead of 'x.y.z'...

I should probably read up on TCP/IP configuration, but I am not sure
if I'll find out about the bridging/routing issues there. Maybe what I
am trying to achieve is simply not possible when my ISP uses the
bridging configuration. With more than one computer, I guess I would then
have to get more static IP addresses.

2. Target Server Won't Connect

3. Cisco 675 <-> Cisco 675, no dslam

4. background curve

5. Newbie question - Cisco 675 / ftp question

6. Can anyone upload Amiga MINIX boot disk?

7. Newbie Question: Cisco 1605-R and Cisco 675

8. Creator Owner Account

9. Cisco 675 keeps dropping static route

10. Cisco 675, static IP subnet routing, is this going to work?

11. NAT & Routing w/ Cisco 675

12. Cisco 675 in RFC1483 routing mode

13. Cisco 675: Routing or Bridging?