One technical and one less technical question

One technical and one less technical question

Post by Leander Berwer » Fri, 27 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello to all of you

I am wondering if someone on this list uses the AS5200 with full load, i.e.
with 48 or 60 concurrent dial-in users. If so, do you experience
performance problems? I mean: will a 68030 manage to route 60 * 64 Kbps = 4
Mbps to some 60 different ports and do some tcp header and ppp compression
as well. I assume that it will be a problem for sure to use the 2 serial
lines a well. Please share your experience with me.

Since I am new on this list, I wonder why there are so little messages. On
other mailing lists from other vendors I get (too) many messages. What is
the answer, if any!

[moderator's note:  Please do not respond to the list for this question about
 the list.  Most people will agree that the traffic volume on this list
 is normally fairly high.  Please feel free to send questions about the list

Season's greetings from Antwerp, Belgium
Leander Berwers

One technical and one less technical question

Post by Barton F. Bru » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Um...

Don't want to seem rude, and do use other (heavily) moderated groups,
but where did this pop up from? I have been reading from and posting
to c.d.s.c for years and NEVER noticed any hint of moderation
or vote thereon.

Perhaps this is some artifact of the gateway between the maillist and
this newsgroup?? Are the maillist folks missing goodies from the
newsgroup, or is the newsgroup missing goodies rejected from the
mailing list?

Do cisco folks use the newsgroup or some subset on a filtered list?

Post by Alexander Marhol » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hello to all of you

> I am wondering if someone on this list uses the AS5200 with full load, i.e.
> with 48 or 60 concurrent dial-in users. If so, do you experience
> performance problems? I mean: will a 68030 manage to route 60 * 64 Kbps = 4
> Mbps to some 60 different ports and do some tcp header and ppp compression
> as well. I assume that it will be a problem for sure to use the 2 serial
> lines a well. Please share your experience with me.

> Since I am new on this list, I wonder why there are so little messages. On
> other mailing lists from other vendors I get (too) many messages. What is
> the answer, if any!

> [moderator's note:  Please do not respond to the list for this question about
>  the list.  Most people will agree that the traffic volume on this list
>  is normally fairly high.  Please feel free to send questions about the list

> Season's greetings from Antwerp, Belgium
> Leander Berwers

No a 5200 will definitely not  be able to handle 60 channels with
compression.

( e.g the CISCO4000 according to a cisco information can handle only one
to two channels with compression and in the 4000 you only one E1 is
supported.)

According to info from different users it has performance problems and I
heard rumors that cisco is developing a successor AS5300 with a much
faster CPU.

Best regards
Alexander Marhold
AZLAN Vienna

Post by James Manci » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I am wondering if someone on this list uses the AS5200 with full load, i.e.
>with 48 or 60 concurrent dial-in users. If so, do you experience
>performance problems? I mean: will a 68030 manage to route 60 * 64 Kbps = 4
>Mbps to some 60 different ports and do some tcp header and ppp compression
>as well. I assume that it will be a problem for sure to use the 2 serial
>lines a well. Please share your experience with me.

We've worked extensively on the AS5200, and what we've found is that
at full load, some slowdown can be expected, especially if you're
running a full protocol load, or doing TCP header compression (which
is traditionally very CPU intensive). Cisco has traditionally used the
Cirrus Logic VART chips on their async ports to improve performance,
and I believe these are the same chips on the 5200 (anyone actually
looked yet?). The VART chips include PPP framing capabilities, so that
helps some.

The solution we've found is using multi-chassis multilink PPP to
offload most of the routing functions off the AS5200 onto a faster
back-end router, such as a 4700, which can provide this service for
many AS5200s. Using this scenario, you can easily service several
5200s at full load with no noticeable performance degradation.

Having said that, there are persistent rumors that a faster successor
to the 5200 is being developed, and the extra CPU horsepower would
certainly be welcome.
James Mancini, CCIE #2006
Engineering Team Leader
Virtual Networks, Inc.

One technical and one less technical question

Post by Paul Ferguso » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Do cisco folks use the newsgroup or some subset on a filtered list?

Nope.

- paul

One technical and one less technical question

Post by Paul Ferguso » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>>Do cisco folks use the newsgroup or some subset on a filtered list?

>Nope.

To be less vague, some of us (including me) use an internal mail
exploder, others prefer news.

- paul

--
Paul Ferguson                                           ||        ||
Consulting Engineering                                  ||        ||

Post by Chop » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

    >>Do cisco folks use the newsgroup or some subset on a filtered list?

    To be less vague, some of us (including me) use an internal mail
    exploder, others prefer news.

To be painfully precise, there is a special forwarder that gets all the
messages from both the mailing list and the comp.dcom.sys.cisco newsgroups
and sends it to both a cisco internal mailing list AND a cisco internal
newsgroup.  (Normally, there's one-way fowarding or something that would
make it difficult to see all messages.)

I believe the "moderation" issue is that non-members of the mailing list
who have never sent mail to it before have their initial mail "approved"
by the moderator.  After that there is effectively no moderation.  This
was originally intended to cut down on inappropriate questions (maybe
"how come your trucks have the company name spelled differently?"), but
it seems to be doing a reasonable jobs of reducing spam as well.

BillW
cisco

Post by Barton F. Bru » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>>I am wondering if someone on this list uses the AS5200 with full load, i.e.
>>with 48 or 60 concurrent dial-in users. If so, do you experience
>>performance problems? I mean: will a 68030 manage to route 60 * 64 Kbps = 4
>>Mbps to some 60 different ports and do some tcp header and ppp compression
>>as well. I assume that it will be a problem for sure to use the 2 serial
>>lines a well. Please share your experience with me.

> We've worked extensively on the AS5200, and what we've found is that
> at full load, some slowdown can be expected, especially if you're
> running a full protocol load, or doing TCP header compression (which
> is traditionally very CPU intensive). Cisco has traditionally used the
> Cirrus Logic VART chips on their async ports to improve performance,
> and I believe these are the same chips on the 5200 (anyone actually
> looked yet?). The VART chips include PPP framing capabilities, so that
> helps some.

> The solution we've found is using multi-chassis multilink PPP to
> offload most of the routing functions off the AS5200 onto a faster
> back-end router, such as a 4700, which can provide this service for
> many AS5200s. Using this scenario, you can easily service several
> 5200s at full load with no noticeable performance degradation.

Wonderful, but isn't the multi-chassis support only in ENT images?

Some corners of the ISP industry are very price sensitive and,
though its wonderful for cisco to mint money simply by sticking
necessary features in more expensive packages, they still need a
solid P set of images that really help the Providers still be able
to afford cisco.

Having P images, and IP only hardware discounts is great, but don't drop
the ball so soon.

One technical and one less technical question

Post by Wade William » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>According to info from different users it has performance problems and I
>heard rumors that cisco is developing a successor AS5300 with a much
>faster CPU.

Be careful with such rumors of "problems."  The AS5200 did have some early
problems, but those have been corrected.  In terms of performance, I think
you'll find that under load it performs as well or better than any
comparable product, but gives you all the advantages of IOS.

One mistake people make when testing access products is to test one line.
When doing so, the AS5200 probably won't perform dramatically better than
any other product.  When you test units under heavy load, you'll find the
AS5200 outperforms in many areas.

Wade

Wade Williams                      "Any escape might help to smooth the
Systems Engineer                    unattractive truth, but the suburbs
Cisco Systems, Inc.                 have no charms to soothe the restless
Brentwood, TN                       dreams of youth."
615-221-2918                              - N. Peart

Post by Chop » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

    I am wondering if someone on this list uses the AS5200 with full load,
    i.e.  with 48 or 60 concurrent dial-in users. If so, do you experience
    performance problems? I mean: will a 68030 manage to route 60 * 64 Kbps
    = 4 Mbps to some 60 different ports and do some tcp header and ppp
    compression as well. I assume that it will be a problem for sure to use
    the 2 serial lines a well.

No chance of doing that at all.  The design performance doesn't include
doing PPP compression at all.  The AS5200 is primarilly designed to support
analog users (with compression done by the modems.)  It should be able to
support the 60 users at 28.8*(compress factor) without too much problem.
For pure ISDN use (including PPP compression), a 4500 or 4700 solution
performs much better, as well as being cheaper (last time I looked.)

I don't think you'll get anyone at cisco to claim that an AS5200 will
support 60*64 with ppp compression...

BillW
cisco

1. AS5200 performance (was: One technical and one less technical question)

Why is Cisco not capable of creating the AS5200 to be powerful enough to
handle 60 ISDN lines? I think I can ask this, because if Cisco creates
a dial-in router with a DUAL E1 interface, I think I can expect from Cisco
that it
can handle 60 concurrent dial-in, because that is what will happen when
people dial-in during the evenings. If Cisco is not capable of doing so,
only a SINGLE E1 interface
should be available for the AS5200. I think this is reasonable or am I
asking too much?
Perhaps Cisco is aware of this and develops therefore the AS5300.

Greetings from Antwerp, Belgium
Leander

2. Searching for emTeX-Fonts: LQ-400

3. AS5200 performance (was: One technical and one less technical

4. Stacktrace - Unwinding

5. V-One technical Question

6. mico: Imr and name service.

7. US-DC - Radio System Planning Consultants - System One Technical, Inc. (JB)

8. Internationalization Manager Req'd

9. US-TX - Radio System Planning Consultants - System One Technical, Inc. (JB)

10. US-GA - Radio System Planning Consultants - System One Technical, Inc. (JB)

11. US-PA - Vice President of Operations - System One Technical (JB)

12. US-DC - Radio System Planning Consultants - System One Technical, Inc. (JB)

13. US-LA - Senior RF Engineer (PCS) - System One Technical (JB)