DNS behind PIX firewall

Post by Kell » Fri, 09 May 2003 05:36:26

I'm hosting our Internet DNS behind a PIX firewall.  What do I need to
configure on my firewall to allow DNS to function properly.  We have
already created static ip address translations and setup conduits for
tcp/udp on port 53.  Is there anything else I need to do to open port
53?

Thanks,
Kelly

DNS behind PIX firewall

Post by Jason Ka » Fri, 09 May 2003 12:35:55

> I'm hosting our Internet DNS behind a PIX firewall.  What do I need to
> configure on my firewall to allow DNS to function properly.  We have
> already created static ip address translations and setup conduits for
> tcp/udp on port 53.  Is there anything else I need to do to open port
> 53?

You should stop using conduits and use access-lists instead.  TCP and UDP
port 53 is all you should need to open.

--
Jason Kau
http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

DNS behind PIX firewall

Post by Martin Bilgra » Fri, 09 May 2003 20:00:31

regarding of our setup you may want to eighter en- or disable the DNS Guard
feature.

BR
Martin

Quote:> I'm hosting our Internet DNS behind a PIX firewall.  What do I need to
> configure on my firewall to allow DNS to function properly.  We have
> already created static ip address translations and setup conduits for
> tcp/udp on port 53.  Is there anything else I need to do to open port
> 53?

> Thanks,
> Kelly

1. how to setup dns server behind a pix firewall cont.?

So If I understand this correctly I can get away with one dns server outside
our network.  We are currently using a company for our dns service.  So my task
involves the following steps:
1.  Tell the company that provides us the dns service to point to 209.249.57.3
for
our www.xyz.com.Lets suppose that dns server for that company has the ip
a.b.c.d
2.  Then since my PIX inside interface has the ip address of 192.100.100.1
issue the command alias 192.100.100.1 a.b.c.d     255.255.255.255
3.  Then have our internal client machines point to 192.100.100.1 for dns
queries.

Thanks for any help.
Teresa

2. Epson Stylus ProXL+--HELP!!

3. how to set up dns server behind a PIX firewall?

4. A2091 'upgrade'

5. DNS behind a PIX firewall

6. CREAT/TERM and -xrm: How to?

7. How to set NT VPN behind Pix firewall???

8. Connecting a VPN Client behind a firewall thru TCP port 443 to a PIX

9. Netscape Mail Server can't receive mail when sit behind PIX Firewall...

10. Problems connection to Cisco VPN from behind MS ISA and a PIX firewall

11. Cisco VPN Client behind PIX Firewall

12. Problem with Exchange server behind PIX firewall