MRTG - Questions from a Newbie

Post by Stephen Manu » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 09:45:24

Group,

This question may not belong in this forum, if not please direct me to
the proper location....

Over time I've had several people point me in the direction of MRTG as
a tool to monitor Cisco Routers and other related items like the CIR
of a PVC, etc..

In the last week I downloaded all the necessary software to install
MRTG on a Win2k Professional machine..

I downloaded the latest versions of Perl and MRTG...

Got both working for one config for one router, no problem...

Got everything working for 4 routers in a small network belonging to a
customer, no problem....

However, here is where my lack of knowledge of MRTG kicks in...

The basic monitoring works at the interface level, telling you how
many bytes per second have been passed in the last 5 minutes....

What I want to do is alter the basic config, or create a new one,
which ever will allow me to monitor of things...

I have found great resourses available on the net to help in this
task...

My question is how do you take these report/monitoring templates into
my installation...

I am by no means a Perl expert...or MRTG for that matter....

Let's say I have a new template to monitor CIR values....

What do I do to get it working...

I know that I must create a config file but I'm not sure how...

In my initial install here's what I've done...

Then

Perl mrtg routerA.cfg

In between I've altered the config file to make mrtg run as a daemon
with a 5 minute gathering interval...

Links, help, pointers, etc...are all appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Stephen Manuel
CCNP

MRTG - Questions from a Newbie

Post by Dave Phelp » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:46:18

Try the www.mrtg.org. Check out
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html

It is the reference manual for MRTG. Simply, you have to specify the MIB
value in the config file for the router(s) you want the stats for.

--
Dave Phelps
Phone Masters Ltd.

MRTG - Questions from a Newbie

Post by Hansang Ba » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 16:58:34

Quote:> This question may not belong in this forum, if not please direct me to
> the proper location....

[snip]
comp.dcom.net-management

*TONS* of mrtg related questions/answers there.

--

hsb

"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

1. newbie MRTG question : how to add mib to MRTG ?

Hi,

I'm a MRTG newbie and am trying to get it work with Xylan Omniswitch,
the problem is, I can't find the MIB files from popular MIB libraries...

At last, I got the xylan mib, but the simple question is, how do I add
the mib into MRTG ? I'm using MRTG on WinNT & Win98

Any help appreciated !!

alex

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Wanted: C code to read Lotus/Excel files

3. MRTG Newbie needs help with MRTG on Solaris 8 SPARC Edition

4. A question for all you guru's!

5. MRTG newbie question

6. *** FREE INTERNET! *** Forever!

7. Newbie MRTG config question

8. password

9. Newbie Question - Adding devices to mrtg.cfg

10. Newbie question : MRTG - GD - PNG

11. MRTG Newbie Question

12. newbie: cisco vlan newbie question

13. Newbie Cisco 1720 snmp and mrtg monitoring