low-end mult-ethernet router?

low-end mult-ethernet router?

Post by Phil Howa » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00



Has anyone heard of a low-end router that has multiple ethernet ports
that are TRULY ROUTED between them (not a hub, not a switch) with
access lists separately configureable per port, with one T1 and maybe
also one BRI?

I'd like to hook up several customers at one location, sharing a T1,
but a hub or switch won't give me the security I need between them.
Oviously a big box like 4000 or 7000 is out of the price range and
I don't need that kind of speed for this anyway.

--
 --    *-----------------------------*       Phil Howard KA9WGN        *    --
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              |  Engineering Operations Manager |   --
   --  | Business Internet Solutions |        eng at intur.net         |  --
    -- *-----------------------------*       philh at intur.net        * --

 
 
 

low-end mult-ethernet router?

Post by Alexander Marhol » Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:00:00



> Has anyone heard of a low-end router that has multiple ethernet ports
> that are TRULY ROUTED between them (not a hub, not a switch) with
> access lists separately configureable per port, with one T1 and maybe
> also one BRI?

only the 1605R has 2 Ethernet portsthe 3640 has only interface with 2 ethernets

Quote:> I'd like to hook up several customers at one location, sharing a T1,
> but a hub or switch won't give me the security I need between them.
> Oviously a big box like 4000 or 7000 is out of the price range and
> I don't need that kind of speed for this anyway.

maybe you could use that:

take a cat 1912 enterprise switch which has 12 ports 10B-T and 1 (2) ISL ports
and connect them to a 36xx via ISL.
There are also switches with 24 ports.
By setting every port into another VLAN group you have a true separation and on
the fast ethernet port they are separated via different subinterfaces ( one per
VLAN)

This is a quite performing solution without too much cost involved

Regards

Alexander

--
----------------------------------------------------
Dipl. Ing. Alexander Marhold
CCIE #3324 (Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert)
CDS (Cisco Design Specialist)
  Fachhochschulstudiengang St.Poelten
   " Telekommunikation und Medien "
Bereich: Datenkommunikation & Netzwerktechnik
http://www.fh-stpoelten.ac.at/hp/lb/amarhold/
----------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

low-end mult-ethernet router?

Post by Barton F. Bru » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00



> Has anyone heard of a low-end router that has multiple ethernet ports
> that are TRULY ROUTED between them (not a hub, not a switch) with
> access lists separately configureable per port, with one T1 and maybe
> also one BRI?

> I'd like to hook up several customers at one location, sharing a T1,
> but a hub or switch won't give me the security I need between them.
> Oviously a big box like 4000 or 7000 is out of the price range and
> I don't need that kind of speed for this anyway.

the 3620 loaded with the 2x ethernet card that also takes 2x 1600 class
port cards lets you add in 2 T1s or possibly a T1 and a BRI?

The 2nd and last slot in the box can take a 4 port etherent card.

The 3640 is a lot more $s but gives you more expansion with the same
cards.

If cisco ever makes a 3660 or 3680 or makes a 8 or 16 x ethernet card,
you would be even happier with the 36xx family.

 
 
 

low-end mult-ethernet router?

Post by Stephen Balba » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00


I saw someone advertising an AGS+ with 6 serial and 1 ethernet plus 5
empty slots for $850 - supports up to the 11.x IOS tree. You can probably
get more ethernet cards for cheap. Check with used Cisco dealers.

        Stb




>> Has anyone heard of a low-end router that has multiple ethernet ports
>> that are TRULY ROUTED between them (not a hub, not a switch) with
>> access lists separately configureable per port, with one T1 and maybe
>> also one BRI?

>> I'd like to hook up several customers at one location, sharing a T1,
>> but a hub or switch won't give me the security I need between them.
>> Oviously a big box like 4000 or 7000 is out of the price range and
>> I don't need that kind of speed for this anyway.

>the 3620 loaded with the 2x ethernet card that also takes 2x 1600 class
>port cards lets you add in 2 T1s or possibly a T1 and a BRI?

>The 2nd and last slot in the box can take a 4 port etherent card.

>The 3640 is a lot more $s but gives you more expansion with the same
>cards.

>If cisco ever makes a 3660 or 3680 or makes a 8 or 16 x ethernet card,
>you would be even happier with the 36xx family.

 
 
 

1. Please enable egress filters by default on low-end CISCO routers

Nearly every other piece of network software in the world has "default
settings" that contain restrictions on usage, except our most
important ones - our routers.  For example: email servers come with
rate filtering defaults and are closed to relaying by default.

Router vendors should be selling products that are "default
restrictive", unless you are an advanced user who knows how to unlock
more powerful features - not the other way around.

Rather than begging 200 million clueless users to reconfigure their
OS'es and routers after installing them, we should simply call
attention to the security vulnerabilities inherent in the default
settings of the hardware.

Filters that are within the capabilities of the O/S and are reasonable
defaults for a majority of the users should be enabled by default.

At some point, failure to do this could even be seen as negligent on
the part of the vendors.

At the very least, egress filtering, syn flood prevention, basic port
filters should be enabled by default.

Also, let me know when this is fixed. ;)

2. PMMail 1.5 Add. Book into Neologic

3. cisco vs. netblazer for low-end router/term server

4. Wire problem in cadence-4.42sr2

5. wtb: low-end Cisco router

6. Forbiden Subjects

7. Full Duplex Ethernet low-mid end routers?

8. Black Screen of Death!!!

9. WTB: 2 low-end routers

10. Low-end Cisco router for IPX

11. Network World review of 5 low-end routers

12. Low-end/low budget Internet sites

13. low-end sniffer for 2924 switch