Cisco 677 vs. Cisco SOHO 77 comparison (CBOS/IOS etc.)

Cisco 677 vs. Cisco SOHO 77 comparison (CBOS/IOS etc.)

Post by Jaco » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:34:56

Hi group

We have an ADSL Internet connection, which currently goes through a Cisco
677 ADSL router. But, recently, our ISP offered us, for a low fee, to switch
the 677 to the new Cisco SOHO 77 ADSL router. I have read the product docs
on the Cisco site, and for what I can judge from this, it seems to be a
better product. However, there's some areas, where I really would appreciate
some comments. These are:

CBOS vs. IOS: I know, that IOS is the OS also used in the high-end
enterprise routers offered by Cisco. The SOHO 77 is running IOS, and I would
like to know a little more about, what IOS can do and CBOS cannot do. My
primary interests are NAT support and firewall/packet filtering
functionality. The CBOS lacks support for NAT ranges - it has been
implemented in the latest v2.4.1, but our ISP advised not to upgrade from
the current 2.3.0, because 2.4.1 according to their tests is too unstable.

Ethernet: According to http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/77.htm,
the Ethernet interface only supports 10Mbps. However, our LAN is currently
running 100Mbit on the 677 - this is also stated on
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/600rt/prodlit/677_ds.htm - does
this mean, that we will be limited to running 10Mbit on the LAN, if we
switch to the SOHO 77? I don't completely understand this - why are the
Ethernet only 10Mbit, or have I misunderstood this completely?

What's your overall opinion? Should we switch from the 677 to the SOHO 77?
All kinds of experience and advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jacob

1. Cisco SOHO 77 and IOS

Hello

I got one Soho 77 CISCO from a friend that upgraded it with a Cisco 837.

I browsed the Cisco's Website and I read that Soho 77 has fixed memory size
and it is not upgradable.

So I ask you in the newsgroup which is the latest version of IOS installable
on the Soho 77.

Someone can help me?

thank you.

Mr Spadoni from Italy

2. Voive/Fax/Data Modems using DSP

3. Cisco 677, CBOS, bugs and Cisco for consumers

4. WTB: Sun Compact 1 mouse

5. where is eoe.sw.nds?

6. How-to backup Cisco SOHO 77

7. looking for "The Lost Admiral"

8. mapping range of ports on Cisco SOHO 77

9. Cisco SOHO 77 & Telgua

10. Cisco SOHO 77 as bridge

11. cisco soho 77 and nexland pro800turbo

12. Idle-timeout/Connection Timeout on a CISCO ADSL SOHO 77 Route, help please...