Bridging two Peer-to-Peer Networks

Post by wl.. » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:23:20

I am new at this so please be patient.  I have 2610 routers connected
via a dedicated T1.  The networks on both ends are configured for
Windows 95/98 Peer-to-Peer networking.  Using a LMHOST file I can find
computers on either end and see shared resources in a windows explorer
type window.  When I click on a shared resource it does nothing for a
long period of time, then times out.  Other than putting WINS servers on
both ends, can I maintain the Peer-to-Peer setup and share files by
doing some type of configuration on the routers?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by sman.. » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:32:26

> Other than putting WINS servers on
> both ends, can I maintain the Peer-to-Peer setup and share files by
> doing some type of configuration on the routers?

I've run across this situation before.

You could always bridge the two sites together using transparent
bridging....but if you do that several things need to be considered.

1. You will defeat the purpose of having a router, what you will have
is an expensive bridge/brouter...

2. NEARLY EVERY packet gets sent out every interface, meaning the WAN
link between the two sites could easily become bogged down.

The bottomline, IMO, is to setup WINS, it's more efficient than
bridging and gives you added flexibility in the future...

Stephen

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Hansang Ba » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:07:12

>I am new at this so please be patient.  I have 2610 routers connected
>via a dedicated T1.  The networks on both ends are configured for
>Windows 95/98 Peer-to-Peer networking.  Using a LMHOST file I can find
>computers on either end and see shared resources in a windows explorer
>type window.  When I click on a shared resource it does nothing for a
>long period of time, then times out.  Other than putting WINS servers on
>both ends, can I maintain the Peer-to-Peer setup and share files by
>doing some type of configuration on the routers?

You may have some problems with your LMHOSTS files.  This could be an
authentication problem, node type problem, dns resolution (after netbios
name resolution times out) etc.

What do you have in your LMHOSTS file?

hsb

"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

Bridging two Peer-to-Peer Networks

Post by wl.. » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 12:31:33

Quote:>What do you have in your LMHOSTS file?

192.168.10.21 rickyr #PRE
192.168.12.2 daryls #PRE

rickyr is the only computer I am working with right now.  My computer is
daryls.  I also have these entries in the hosts file with out the #PRE.
 I can ping and use net view /rickyr to see shared resources.  I also
can use find compputer and open the computer in an explorer window, but
when I click on a share it times out.  If I attempt to open a shared
folder with a password, it prompts me for the password first then times
out.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Hansang Ba » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 14:14:07

>>What do you have in your LMHOSTS file?
>192.168.10.21 rickyr #PRE
>192.168.12.2 daryls #PRE

>rickyr is the only computer I am working with right now.  My computer is
>daryls.  I also have these entries in the hosts file with out the #PRE.
> I can ping and use net view /rickyr to see shared resources.  I also
>can use find compputer and open the computer in an explorer window, but
>when I click on a share it times out.  If I attempt to open a shared
>folder with a password, it prompts me for the password first then times
>out.

See Q180094 - How to Write an LMHOSTS File for Domain Validation and
Other Name Resolution Issues

from MS support web site.