ATM experts,, Please Help!!!

Post by siphe » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi everyone,
    We are trying to setup an asymmetric connection between two private ATM
switches running NNI trunk,, Can this be done. Cause I have heard that only
UNI can run on top of an asymmetric connection?? If not,, is there any other
solution for this???

Thanks guys!!

Sip

ATM experts,, Please Help!!!

Post by nico » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

not sure but PNNI 1.0 is based on UNI3.1 & some UNI 4.0.  It would
certainly make sense that a Trunk run asymmetric in order to deal with
the varioius bandwidths thru a net.  I'd guess that "almost" never
would the bandwidth be symmetric.

http://www.atmforum.com/atmforum/specs/approved.html

The PNNI 1.0 is about 1MB+ and probably has your answer.

Lots of good FREE pdfs.

ATM experts,, Please Help!!!

Post by Jacek Tobias » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hi everyone,
>     We are trying to setup an asymmetric connection between two private ATM
> switches running NNI trunk,, Can this be done. Cause I have heard that only
> UNI can run on top of an asymmetric connection?? If not,, is there any other
> solution for this???

Hmmm, what do you mean by "asymmetric connection" ? What's the problem
you see (think of) ? Describe your configuration.

regards
Jacek

ATM experts,, Please Help!!!

Post by Mike » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I work with a network using Ascend CBX-500s with NNI trunks between
them.  I buil asymmetric VCs all the time.

Perhaps I missed the point of the question?

Quote:>Hi everyone,
>    We are trying to setup an asymmetric connection between two private ATM
>switches running NNI trunk,, Can this be done. Cause I have heard that only
>UNI can run on top of an asymmetric connection?? If not,, is there any other
>solution for this???

>Thanks guys!!

>Sip

ATM experts,, Please Help!!!

Post by siphe » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

The trunk that you have is symmetric(right?),, and you build an asymmetric
VCs ontop of it. But what I am trying to do here is to build VCs ontop of an
asymmetric trunk connetion. Can that be done?

Sipher

> I work with a network using Ascend CBX-500s with NNI trunks between
> them.  I buil asymmetric VCs all the time.

> Perhaps I missed the point of the question?

> >Hi everyone,
> >    We are trying to setup an asymmetric connection between two private
ATM
> >switches running NNI trunk,, Can this be done. Cause I have heard that
only
> >UNI can run on top of an asymmetric connection?? If not,, is there any
other
> >solution for this???

> >Thanks guys!!

> >Sip

ATM experts,, Please Help!!!

Post by siphe » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Thanx for helping guys, what we want to do is that we want to link two IGX
via satellite connection, since we don't have much traffic for one end.
therefore inbound and outbound connectoin are not the same speed, we would
like to try one connection with DS3 and other with E3. What I heard it that
this kind of trunk cannot be asymmetric(in term of speed),, I just want to
confirm the problem

Sipher

> Hi everyone,
>     We are trying to setup an asymmetric connection between two private
ATM
> switches running NNI trunk,, Can this be done. Cause I have heard that
only
> UNI can run on top of an asymmetric connection?? If not,, is there any
other
> solution for this???

> Thanks guys!!

> Sip

ATM experts,, Please Help!!!

Post by Laure » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Thanx for helping guys, what we want to do is that we want to link two IGX
> via satellite connection, since we don't have much traffic for one end.
> therefore inbound and outbound connectoin are not the same speed, we would
> like to try one connection with DS3 and other with E3. What I heard it that
> this kind of trunk cannot be asymmetric(in term of speed),, I just want to
> confirm the problem

> Sipher

I havent done this on cisco boxes, but on others it tends to
automatically assume that its symmetrical, so you create have to create
the VC outgoing, remove the automatically configured incoming, and then
add in the correct incoming.

Technically (ATM wise) theres no problem with it.  Youll have to check
the cisco docs (or maybe someone helpful on here will reply) to se if
cisco lets you do it, but I cant see why they wouldnt.

I take it your configuring PVCs.  Im guesing SVCs migh assume
symmetrical as well.

TTFN
Lauren

ATM experts,, Please Help!!!

Post by news » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Sipher,

You can indeed create assymetric PVCs. First you create your connection
using one of your network-wide defined ATM classes.
Next you configure your connection to use different speeds...
You can even route the PVCs over different trunks.

Chris.

>> Thanx for helping guys, what we want to do is that we want to link two
IGX
>> via satellite connection, since we don't have much traffic for one end.
>> therefore inbound and outbound connectoin are not the same speed, we
would
>> like to try one connection with DS3 and other with E3. What I heard it
that
>> this kind of trunk cannot be asymmetric(in term of speed),, I just want
>> confirm the problem

>> Sipher

>I havent done this on cisco boxes, but on others it tends to
>automatically assume that its symmetrical, so you create have to create
>the VC outgoing, remove the automatically configured incoming, and then
>add in the correct incoming.

>Technically (ATM wise) theres no problem with it.  Youll have to check
>the cisco docs (or maybe someone helpful on here will reply) to se if
>cisco lets you do it, but I cant see why they wouldnt.

>I take it your configuring PVCs.  Im guesing SVCs migh assume
>symmetrical as well.

>TTFN
>Lauren

1. batch file or program, need help from experts, help please

Y have some problems with automatization of changing some contents in more
.ini files in several directories.
J am searching for a program or batch file that could help me to do next in
directories of every user:

1. copy from w:\aaa\file1.ini
                              file2.grp
                              file3.ini
   to:             u:\user1\windows\
                    u:\user2\windows\
                    u:\user3\windows \.....

2. change the line in u:\user1\windows\program.ini
                              u:\user2\windows\program.ini
                              u:\user3\windows\program.ini ......
    from:   group7/.........../sap.grp
    to:  group7/....../sap3x.grp

3. change the line in u:\user1\windows\system.ini
                              u:\user2\windows\system.ini
                              u:\user3\windows\system.ini ........
      from: device=w:\bin\pctcp\vpctcp.386
      to:  ;; device=w:\bin\pctcp\vpctcp.386

J have to do this for 200 users. J am a supervisor on Novell netware 3.12.
 J apreciate your help.

Please somebody help me.

greg

2. NNTP demon for windows?

3. Experts Please help-Spec home test network for CCNP

4. Logon Window Position

5. Newbie needs expert advice! please help :)

6. AddingClient License pack from floppy disk sbs2000

7. Cisco experts, please help!

8. Modem Experts - Please Help !

9. Any Modem experts out there. Please help!

10. If you are a Dialogic's expert,please help me!

11. Help--Novell 3.12 Expert Please

12. Experts please help.