Need advice on drop-and-insert for PBX and router separated by 4000'

Need advice on drop-and-insert for PBX and router separated by 4000'

Post by Paul Roger » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

We are in the process of connecting to the Internet and would
like to use some excess capacity on our existing T1 lines that
are connected to our PBX.  It's my understanding that this could
be accomplished with a CSU/DSU with drop-and-insert capability.
However, the PBX and the desired location for the Internet termination
point are separated by approximately 4000 feet (1.3 km).

We have multimode fiber as well as a 900 pair (24 gauge) telephone
cable (with no bridge taps, carrying voice and data) available between
the two sites.

One possible solution was found in the Black Box catalog.  They have a
T1 splitter (Order Code MT206A) (2 DSX-1 interfaces and 1 V.35
interface) that can be used in conjunction with a CSU/DSU (Order Code
MT100A-35-R2) which allows a "DSX-1 Long Loop" up to 6000 feet (1.8
km) using shielded twisted pair to be created between the two devices.

Is it essential that shielded pair be used in this application?

Are there other solutions, preferably using fiber, available?

Is there a better place to discuss this type of problem?

Thanks!

Paul L. Rogers

1. Need advice on drop-and-insert for PBX and router separated by 4000'

[...]

2. Reeeeal stupid question re: sending mail to domain vs. host.domain

3. WANTED TO BUY---USA---USED PBX-PBX-PBX-PBX-PBX-PBX-PBX

4. RichEdit

5. Advice Needed: 20' phone drop to server room

6. type 1 versions of dc or ec fonts?

7. Need Info on Drop & Insert Boxes for T-1 Facilities

8. The EFF Deserves Our *THANKS*!

9. advice needed: do we need a PBX?

10. Need to Upgrade CISCO 4000 - What's next!

11. 4000 router's debug

12. Cisco 4000 router upgrade ??'s

13. need help: to switch from software router on Solaris to Cisco 4000-M