Static route vrs. Routing protocols.

Post by jaimesa.. » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

Basically I want to know what is much better solution for my network:
Set up static routes or EIGRP, GBP, IGRP, routing protocols in my
routers. I have divided the net on the LAN Private net and the Public
Internet net, divided them by a Switch Catalyst 3200 and protected with
a Pix Firewall. The most best way to get an a better idea is send you a
diagram of it but I am new this so I do not know if it is possible to
add it. The point is that I use AS5300 for my dial up users, 3 small
access routers (2501 and 1601) for the serial connections with some
customers and a 3640 for another clients and for the connection to the
Internet Back bone. Inside my LAN we have LAN Switches 3200 and a 5000
connected trought out for a Lightstream 1010 and a Router 4500 (for the
Vlans). At all routers there is static routes in place a routing
protocol, I was advised it is to avoid increase unnecesarly the load of
the CPU at the routers (4500, 3640 basically) cause there is just 4 or
5 routable "c" clases that are in production.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of use Static routes in place
routing protocols?

All seggestions will be apreciated.

Regards, Jaime Salas.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Static route vrs. Routing protocols.

Post by John McKa » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

depends on the number of internal segments you have running... if the static
is working for you, i wouldn't change it.  it can be difficult to manage if
it gets much larger though.  my preference is eigrp, just make sure you
block any internal routing protocol updates from going out the internet
port.

Quote:> Hi there,

> Basically I want to know what is much better solution for my network:
> Set up static routes or EIGRP, GBP, IGRP, routing protocols in my
> routers. I have divided the net on the LAN Private net and the Public
> Internet net, divided them by a Switch Catalyst 3200 and protected with
> a Pix Firewall. The most best way to get an a better idea is send you a
> diagram of it but I am new this so I do not know if it is possible to
> add it. The point is that I use AS5300 for my dial up users, 3 small
> access routers (2501 and 1601) for the serial connections with some
> customers and a 3640 for another clients and for the connection to the
> Internet Back bone. Inside my LAN we have LAN Switches 3200 and a 5000
> connected trought out for a Lightstream 1010 and a Router 4500 (for the
> Vlans). At all routers there is static routes in place a routing
> protocol, I was advised it is to avoid increase unnecesarly the load of
> the CPU at the routers (4500, 3640 basically) cause there is just 4 or
> 5 routable "c" clases that are in production.

> What are the advantages or disadvantages of use Static routes in place
> routing protocols?

> All seggestions will be apreciated.

> Regards, Jaime Salas.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Static route vrs. Routing protocols.

Post by Peter Morrisse » Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:00:00

If it's working, i.e. your network is up and running, and there are
no problems keeping it running and administering it, then
you are doing very well and I wouldn't be in a big hurry
to "fix" it.

You may find some tips here:

http://www.nwc.com/1021/1021ws2.html

Pete M.

> Hi there,

> Basically I want to know what is much better solution for my network:
> Set up static routes or EIGRP, GBP, IGRP, routing protocols in my
> routers. I have divided the net on the LAN Private net and the Public
> Internet net, divided them by a Switch Catalyst 3200 and protected with
> a Pix Firewall. The most best way to get an a better idea is send you a
> diagram of it but I am new this so I do not know if it is possible to
> add it. The point is that I use AS5300 for my dial up users, 3 small
> access routers (2501 and 1601) for the serial connections with some
> customers and a 3640 for another clients and for the connection to the
> Internet Back bone. Inside my LAN we have LAN Switches 3200 and a 5000
> connected trought out for a Lightstream 1010 and a Router 4500 (for the
> Vlans). At all routers there is static routes in place a routing
> protocol, I was advised it is to avoid increase unnecesarly the load of
> the CPU at the routers (4500, 3640 basically) cause there is just 4 or
> 5 routable "c" clases that are in production.

> What are the advantages or disadvantages of use Static routes in place
> routing protocols?

> All seggestions will be apreciated.

> Regards, Jaime Salas.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. static routes vs a routing protocol

While this is not a cisco specific issue, I hoping that someone on this
list can help me out.  I'm looking for any reference material that covers
the pro's and cons of employing a routing protocol vs. static routes
especially on stub networks.

I recently accepted a position as part of a statewide project to bring low
cost internet access to k-12 education, libraries, mueseums, etc.  And
while there are currently in excess of 1000 sites with connections into the
network, the latitude given to individuals responsible for the different
regions of the state has led to an adhoc approach to routing on this
network.  Currently, a seemingly random mix of eigrp groups and static
routes are employed between the distibution and access routers.

I would like to see us take a uniform approach on how routing is handled
between the these routers but I need to be able to justify my
recommendation.

thanx,
-john

2. Migrate From Publisher to Frontpage

3. Static routes vs. routing protocol

4. Hubs/switches that provide extra power pair on each port

5. Router on x25 static route Network does not know second static rout is unavalible

6. Bestdata, out of business?

7. Can netwrok run static route and dynamic route the same time?

8. Win98SE upgrade fries Win2k dual boot

9. Static routes AND policy routing?

10. static routing and route-map

11. How static routes come in & out of the routing table

12. Floating Static Routes and unnumbered routing

13. Need Advice: Static Route Still in Routing Table?