RipV2 & Subnets

Post by xlr8 » Sun, 05 Jun 2005 14:34:15

Hi group,

Got a something that I don't fully understand, hope someone can help me out.

I've got a VLAN with the address range (10.10.10.x) configured on a
Layer 3 switch. The switch is doing all the inter-vlan routing and it
works great however when I want to publish the connected networks via
Rip V2 to the rest of the network I run into issues.

I'm trying to publish the connected routes out a interface on vlan 1
that has the following ip address 192.168.1.x/22. No rip packets are
sent to the Vlan 1 network.

Example config snippet:

ip classless
!
interface vlan 10
   ip address 10.10.10.x 255.255.255.0
!
interface vlan 1
   ip address 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.252
!
router rip
   Version 2
   redistribute-connected
   network 192.168.1.0
!

However as soon as I change the subnet mask to 24 bits or add the
following line to the Vlan 1 interface it works:
ip address 192.168.1.xx 255.255.255.0 secondary

This is the part I don't understand, why is Rip being sent out a
interface with a 24 bit subnet mask and not a 22. I would have thought
the ip classless command would have enabled this to work.

A bit stumped on this one, hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.

RipV2 & Subnets

Post by xlr8 » Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:10:13

I've investigated further and from what I've read the network statement
under the router rip section appears to be class based despite RIP v2
support VLSM and the ip classless command.

If so how can I make it advertise routes onto a network with a 22 bit
subnet mask?

> Hi group,

> Got a something that I don't fully understand, hope someone can help me
> out.

> I've got a VLAN with the address range (10.10.10.x) configured on a
> Layer 3 switch. The switch is doing all the inter-vlan routing and it
> works great however when I want to publish the connected networks via
> Rip V2 to the rest of the network I run into issues.

> I'm trying to publish the connected routes out a interface on vlan 1
> that has the following ip address 192.168.1.x/22. No rip packets are
> sent to the Vlan 1 network.

> Example config snippet:

> ip classless
> !
> interface vlan 10
>   ip address 10.10.10.x 255.255.255.0
> !
> interface vlan 1
>   ip address 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.252
> !
> router rip
>   Version 2
>   redistribute-connected
>   network 192.168.1.0
> !

> However as soon as I change the subnet mask to 24 bits or add the
> following line to the Vlan 1 interface it works:
> ip address 192.168.1.xx 255.255.255.0 secondary

> This is the part I don't understand, why is Rip being sent out a
> interface with a 24 bit subnet mask and not a 22. I would have thought
> the ip classless command would have enabled this to work.

> A bit stumped on this one, hope someone can enlighten me.

> Thanks in advance.

RipV2 & Subnets

Post by Hansang Ba » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:27:55

> I've investigated further and from what I've read the network
> statement under the router rip section appears to be class based
> despite RIP v2 support VLSM and the ip classless command.

VLSM and the "ip classless" command don't really have much to do with
other (not in the sense that most people think of it anyway.

The network statement ONLY tells the router to run RIPV2 on the
interfaces that fall into the (or match) the network statement.  That's
all there is to it.

Also, you don't need to "redistribute connected" if you're running a
routing protocol that matches the interface already.

--

hsb

1. &&&Wanted-56k flex&&&

 : >I am looking for a 56k flex modem. If anyone has one available or
 : >recommends a reliable brand please let me know.
 G-> : Tommy,
 G-> :     I am pleased with my Internal Zoom, but do not get above 40,000
 G-> : connects.

Please make sure you are using the latest FlashROM file.
Ver1.02a is on Zoom's website now.  All K56flex and x2 connects
are subject to the available signal to noise ratio on the link
from your ISP's modem all the way thru to your modem.  It's worth
checking out your house wiring too.  Try making a connect from the
'phone jack closest to the telco's terminal box, and/or disconnecting
all other phones in your house.  Any better connect rate?

 G-> We have more then a few customers who have the motorola modemsurfr
 G-> connecting at 46k.. That's after they upgrade to firmware 1.009...
 G-> They seem to be happy with them.. I have a Supra Express 56e and
 G-> connect at 42k highest..

This does not guarantee that another modem make will do any better
at the house and connection where the Zoom now is.

rgdZ
Richard

   +=======================================+
   |    PackLink / Zoom Modem Support      |
   |      BBS & Fax +44(0)1812972486       |
   |       FidoNet 2:254/235 V34Plus       |

   +=======================================+
... Why pay more?

2. Why the name "use-case"?

3. NeXt is Successful?! (fwd)

4. &&& PLAY AND EARN MONEY FAST &&&

5. Urgent Positions :: Program Manager | C$ Developer | Web Developer | Software Design Engineer - Need Local only - face to face interview

6. &&& Wanted: IRQ and I/O settings for NE1000 card &&&

7. &&& PLAY AND EARN MONEY FAST &&&

8. RIPv2 Query , ( New to Mr. Pk)

9. Need Help , Related to RIPv2

10. RIPv2 query