frame-relay traffic-shapping default throttling?

frame-relay traffic-shapping default throttling?

Post by Bernie » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 04:48:07

Is it default behaviour for a simple "frame-relay traffic-shaping" command
on a main interface (HSSI), with no other shaping or class-map commands on
sub-interfaces, for there to be strict 2 Mbps ingress and 64 Kbps egress
limits applied?

BernieM

Post by Martin Gallaghe » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:13:28

> Is it default behaviour for a simple "frame-relay traffic-shaping" command
> on a main interface (HSSI), with no other shaping or class-map commands on
> sub-interfaces, for there to be strict 2 Mbps ingress and 64 Kbps egress
> limits applied?

 Yes, though when I was doing it the default was 56k egress.  FRTS doesn't
 have any direct effect on ingress.  A trap for young players who would
 decide to shape just one sub-interface and then wonder why all the others
 went belly up more or less.

--
Rgds,
Martin

Post by Bernie » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:21:31

>> Is it default behaviour for a simple "frame-relay traffic-shaping"
>> command
>> on a main interface (HSSI), with no other shaping or class-map commands
>> on
>> sub-interfaces, for there to be strict 2 Mbps ingress and 64 Kbps egress
>> limits applied?

> Yes, though when I was doing it the default was 56k egress.  FRTS doesn't
> have any direct effect on ingress.  A trap for young players who would
> decide to shape just one sub-interface and then wonder why all the others
> went belly up more or less.

> --
> Rgds,
> Martin

Thanks for the reply Martin..  Yes, a trap for young players ... or older
ones like me ;-)  I've been supporting Frame for five years but had never
come across this situation before.

We'd just commissioned a 4Mb BDSL tail and discovered the limits during
end-to-end load testing prior to having it go into production.   The Telco
couldn't see find a problem and had passed the job up to level-3 support
before we realised our mistake.

Rgds,

BernieM