Finding a MAC Address

Post by <j.. » Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:44:17

Hello,

My company has a Cisco Catalyst 5509 with a WS-X5530 supervisor module.  I
am trying find out twio things:

1. I have a MAC address and I want to know exactly what module/port it is
plugged into.
2. I want to know all of the MAC addresses for devices plugged into a
specific module/port.

Any gurus know how to solve this?

Thanks,
John Kirkland
MCSE, CCNA

Finding a MAC Address

Post by Walter Robers » Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:19:01

:My company has a Cisco Catalyst 5509 with a WS-X5530 supervisor module.  I
:am trying find out twio things:

:1. I have a MAC address and I want to know exactly what module/port it is
:plugged into.

Go on to the switch portion and 'show cam dynamic'

:2. I want to know all of the MAC addresses for devices plugged into a
:specific module/port.

It's been awhile so I do not recall if there is a modifier on
the 'show cam' command to specify the module/port .
--
   I wrote a hack in microcode,
   with a goto on each line,

Finding a MAC Address

Post by Arnold Nippe » Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:45:39

Quote:> My company has a Cisco Catalyst 5509 with a WS-X5530 supervisor module.  I
> am trying find out twio things:

> 1. I have a MAC address and I want to know exactly what module/port it is
> plugged into.

show cam <mac_addr> [vlan]

Quote:> 2. I want to know all of the MAC addresses for devices plugged into a
> specific module/port.

show cam <dynamic|static|permanent|system> [<mod/port|vlan>]

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper, AN45

Finding a MAC Address

Post by <j.. » Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:52:42

Thank you Walter!  Very, very helpful!

John Kirkland
MCSE, CCNA

> :My company has a Cisco Catalyst 5509 with a WS-X5530 supervisor module.
> :am trying find out twio things:

> :1. I have a MAC address and I want to know exactly what module/port it is
> :plugged into.

> Go on to the switch portion and 'show cam dynamic'

> :2. I want to know all of the MAC addresses for devices plugged into a
> :specific module/port.

> It's been awhile so I do not recall if there is a modifier on
> the 'show cam' command to specify the module/port .
> --
>    I wrote a hack in microcode,
>    with a goto on each line,
>    it runs as fast as Superman,
>    but not quite every time!                 -- Don Libes et al.

Finding a MAC Address

sh cam dyn int xxx