Renew DHCP?

Post by Mike » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 06:42:51

Hello Everyone,

I'm running a 2611 router connected to my cable modem.  I'm using 12.1 and
getting my IP Address for Eth0/0 via DHCP from my cable modem.  Works
great - most of the time.  Sometimes, however the IP Address gets stale and
I have to refresh it.  When my cable modem was plugged directly into my PC,
I would just issue the "IPCONFIG /RENEW" command and it would grab a new
address and start working again.  Now, connected to the router, I have to
unplug the cable modem for several minutes and let it reset itself.  Then,
when I plug it back up, a new IP Address is issued and everything starts
working again.  Anyone know a way within the IOS that I can issue a command
similar to IPCONFIG /RENEW?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Renew DHCP?

Post by Patrick Bas » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:45:07

i wonder if you shut the interface down and then bring it back up will it
request a new address?

Quote:> Hello Everyone,

> I'm running a 2611 router connected to my cable modem.  I'm using 12.1 and
> getting my IP Address for Eth0/0 via DHCP from my cable modem.  Works
> great - most of the time.  Sometimes, however the IP Address gets stale
and
> I have to refresh it.  When my cable modem was plugged directly into my
PC,
> I would just issue the "IPCONFIG /RENEW" command and it would grab a new
> address and start working again.  Now, connected to the router, I have to
> unplug the cable modem for several minutes and let it reset itself.  Then,
> when I plug it back up, a new IP Address is issued and everything starts
> working again.  Anyone know a way within the IOS that I can issue a
command
> similar to IPCONFIG /RENEW?

> Any help greatly appreciated.

> Regards,

> Mike

Renew DHCP?

Yes it will, at least with IOS 12.2(1b) Firewall feature set.

--

Independent Network Consultant        High Availability Networking with
http://www.networkingunlimited.com    Cisco, see the web link for info.

Renew DHCP?

Post by Brian Flanaga » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 12:06:40

Mike, what was the command you used to get eth0/0 to accept DHCP?

Thanks

Brian

Quote:> Hello Everyone,

> I'm running a 2611 router connected to my cable modem.  I'm using 12.1 and
> getting my IP Address for Eth0/0 via DHCP from my cable modem.  Works
> great - most of the time.  Sometimes, however the IP Address gets stale
and
> I have to refresh it.  When my cable modem was plugged directly into my
PC,
> I would just issue the "IPCONFIG /RENEW" command and it would grab a new
> address and start working again.  Now, connected to the router, I have to
> unplug the cable modem for several minutes and let it reset itself.  Then,
> when I plug it back up, a new IP Address is issued and everything starts
> working again.  Anyone know a way within the IOS that I can issue a
command
> similar to IPCONFIG /RENEW?

> Any help greatly appreciated.

> Regards,

> Mike

Renew DHCP?

Post by Brian » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 12:10:09

Heya Brian,

int e0/0
ip address dhcp

Later,
Brian

> Mike, what was the command you used to get eth0/0 to accept DHCP?

> Thanks

> Brian

> > Hello Everyone,

> > I'm running a 2611 router connected to my cable modem.  I'm using 12.1
and
> > getting my IP Address for Eth0/0 via DHCP from my cable modem.  Works
> > great - most of the time.  Sometimes, however the IP Address gets stale
> and
> > I have to refresh it.  When my cable modem was plugged directly into my
> PC,
> > I would just issue the "IPCONFIG /RENEW" command and it would grab a new
> > address and start working again.  Now, connected to the router, I have
> > unplug the cable modem for several minutes and let it reset itself.
Then,
> > when I plug it back up, a new IP Address is issued and everything starts
> > working again.  Anyone know a way within the IOS that I can issue a
> command
> > similar to IPCONFIG /RENEW?

> > Any help greatly appreciated.

> > Regards,

> > Mike

Renew DHCP?

Post by Vincent C Jon » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 22:06:11

But you will need to upgrade your IOS to at least 12.1(2)T first.

See: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cg...

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

--

Independent Network Consultant        High Availability Networking with
http://www.networkingunlimited.com    Cisco, see the web link for info.

Renew DHCP?

Post by Mike » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 23:14:58

Brian F,

Yes, Brian V. was correct.  The key is that you have to install version 12.1
in order to get this feature.  This is a very new feature of the IOS and
(apparently) not many people have experience with it.  Since I haven't
received an answer to my question, I'm guessing that this feature doesn't
exist.  Huge hole in my opinion, but hopefully they'll fix it soon.  Works
great with my cable modem BTW.

Regards,

Mike

> Heya Brian,

> int e0/0
> ip address dhcp

> Later,
> Brian

> > Mike, what was the command you used to get eth0/0 to accept DHCP?

> > Thanks

> > Brian

> > > Hello Everyone,

> > > I'm running a 2611 router connected to my cable modem.  I'm using 12.1
> and
> > > getting my IP Address for Eth0/0 via DHCP from my cable modem.  Works
> > > great - most of the time.  Sometimes, however the IP Address gets
stale
> > and
> > > I have to refresh it.  When my cable modem was plugged directly into
my
> > PC,
> > > I would just issue the "IPCONFIG /RENEW" command and it would grab a
new
> > > address and start working again.  Now, connected to the router, I have
> > > unplug the cable modem for several minutes and let it reset itself.
> Then,
> > > when I plug it back up, a new IP Address is issued and everything
starts
> > > working again.  Anyone know a way within the IOS that I can issue a
> > command
> > > similar to IPCONFIG /RENEW?

> > > Any help greatly appreciated.

> > > Regards,

> > > Mike

Renew DHCP?

Post by zhe » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 02:24:53

You can all use no ip addr dhcp to release the IP address, and then
use ip addr dhcp.

Good luck.

---zher

> Brian F,

> Yes, Brian V. was correct.  The key is that you have to install version 12.1
> in order to get this feature.  This is a very new feature of the IOS and
> (apparently) not many people have experience with it.  Since I haven't
> received an answer to my question, I'm guessing that this feature doesn't
> exist.  Huge hole in my opinion, but hopefully they'll fix it soon.  Works
> great with my cable modem BTW.

> Regards,

> Mike

> > Heya Brian,

> > int e0/0
> > ip address dhcp

> > Later,
> > Brian

> > > Mike, what was the command you used to get eth0/0 to accept DHCP?

> > > Thanks

> > > Brian

>  and
>  stale
>  and
>  my
>  PC,
>  new
>  Then,
>  starts
>  command

Renew DHCP?

Post by Brian » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 05:17:27

Heya Mike,
Sorry, never saw your question. You can do a shut/ no shut on your dhcp
interface. That causes it to release/renew. I just tried it on my 1720
w/wic1enet and it works great. Now I just lost my IP I've had for 4 months !
LOL      Off to update my dns.
later,
Brian

> Brian F,

> Yes, Brian V. was correct.  The key is that you have to install version
12.1
> in order to get this feature.  This is a very new feature of the IOS and
> (apparently) not many people have experience with it.  Since I haven't
> received an answer to my question, I'm guessing that this feature doesn't
> exist.  Huge hole in my opinion, but hopefully they'll fix it soon.  Works
> great with my cable modem BTW.

> Regards,

> Mike

> > Heya Brian,

> > int e0/0
> > ip address dhcp

> > Later,
> > Brian

> > > Mike, what was the command you used to get eth0/0 to accept DHCP?

> > > Thanks

> > > Brian

> > and
Works
> stale
> > > and
> my
> > > PC,
> new
> > Then,
> starts
> > > command

Renew DHCP?

Post by Brian Flanaga » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:55:44

Thanks for the help.  Has anyone tried the FW/IDS features in 12.2 (I
think). I need the dhcp functionality but I am looking to implement the
firewall/IDS as well.

Thanks

Please respond to group and email if possible.

Brian

Quote:> But you will need to upgrade your IOS to at least 12.1(2)T first.

> See:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cg...
as_r/1rfdhcp.htm#xtocid386113

> Good luck and have fun!

> Vincent C Jones

> >Heya Brian,

> >int e0/0
> >ip address dhcp

> >Later,
> >Brian

> >> Mike, what was the command you used to get eth0/0 to accept DHCP?

> >> Thanks

> >> Brian

> >and
> >> and
> >> PC,
> >Then,
> >> command

> --

> Independent Network Consultant        High Availability Networking with
> http://www.networkingunlimited.com    Cisco, see the web link for info.

1. Mac/RoadRunner "Cannot renew DHCP lease" - HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS MESSAGE???

I use Macintosh OS 8.6 with a cable modem that required TCP/IP configured to
"DHCP". Everything works fine, EXCEPT that every 15 minutes or so I get a
dialogue box stating

"CANNOT RENEW LEASE WITH DHCP SERVER. ANOTHER APPLICATION IS USING THE DHCP
PORT. CONTACT YOUR NETOWRK ADMINISTRATOR"

EVERY 15 MINUTES!!!

My cable connection is just fine, it is renewed. I use RoadRunner which
requires a login program - I presume that is the "other program usimg the
DHCP port". Isn't there someplace to tell the Mac it doesn't NEED to try to
renew the lease??

Wasn't a problem with 8.5.1. When 8.6 first came out I remember hearing
something about this. Now I can't find anything. Anyone solve this one? Help
appreciated!!!

2. Is your computer being bugged???

3. @Home, switching PCs, must release/renew dhcp lease?

4. STARTUP SCRIPTS

5. Help... Linksys router takes a LONG time to renew DHCP...

6. Inheritance is not subtyping?

7. How to force DHCP client router to renew its lease?

8. oracleRDb on Open VMS install errors

9. how to manually *IP RENEW* on a DHCP Interface?

10. DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

11. ipconfig renew problem: DHCP server unreachable, pls help !

12. DHCP doesn't renew with WinRoute Pro

13. DHCP Address Renew Failures on Comcast