need advice on VLAN router

Post by Not Mu » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 06:20:41

My core/distributions are 3500XL's daisy chained. I would like to
place all the main servers in one vlan. A couple of web based app
servers, a database server, exchange, 2000 based file servers, couple
of novell servers. Anyways, almost everyone accesses one or more of
these on a regular basis. Total users accessing servers is around 200.
Looking at growth to double. At main site(with the 3500's), it's
around 120 people, and a large number of other devices(printers, etc).

Would like to subnet main site, plus put all servers in their own
vlan. What recommended router for vlan of a network this size.

Also, i have a branch office connected by T1. 2500 on either end. I've
been looking at VOIP(right now, the t1 is split with majority of
channels dedicated to the PBX). since i'm interested in going VOIP
anyways, would it be wise to buy this new VLAN router and use it also
for the T1 connection to the branch(replacing the 2500 on this end)?
Obviously, i'd have to replace the other 2500 as well.  Would this be
wise or should routers used for vlan routing be kept seperate from
branch routers.

need advice on VLAN router

Post by PES » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:58:35

I'm not going to make a recommendation here, but I will recommend (well I
lied) that you be careful choosing this solution due to the inclusion of the
Netware servers.  I actually installed a SupIV into a cat4k.  IPX routing
performance sucks when the pc is on a different VLAN than the server.  We
got Cisco involved and basically they said that this was not the right tool
for the job, the IPX is not routed in hardware.  This is the case with most
of their layer 3 switches.  We basically are supernetting and flattening the
Network until they can get to an all IP network.

Quote:> My core/distributions are 3500XL's daisy chained. I would like to
> place all the main servers in one vlan. A couple of web based app
> servers, a database server, exchange, 2000 based file servers, couple
> of novell servers. Anyways, almost everyone accesses one or more of
> these on a regular basis. Total users accessing servers is around 200.
> Looking at growth to double. At main site(with the 3500's), it's
> around 120 people, and a large number of other devices(printers, etc).

> Would like to subnet main site, plus put all servers in their own
> vlan. What recommended router for vlan of a network this size.

> Also, i have a branch office connected by T1. 2500 on either end. I've
> been looking at VOIP(right now, the t1 is split with majority of
> channels dedicated to the PBX). since i'm interested in going VOIP
> anyways, would it be wise to buy this new VLAN router and use it also
> for the T1 connection to the branch(replacing the 2500 on this end)?
> Obviously, i'd have to replace the other 2500 as well.  Would this be
> wise or should routers used for vlan routing be kept seperate from
> branch routers.

need advice on VLAN router

thanks for the warning, but the netware servers are close to being retired anyways.