AUI or not to AUI

Post by Nick Fawber » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 20:58:20

Hi,
Just a quick question really, I have a Cisco 1601 and an Accton Etherhub
16s+.  As the 1601 only has one RJ45 ethernet port, i need to use that to
connect to the WAN (that is the only interface i can use).  So can i use the
AUI ports on the hub and router to connect each other with a simple cable (I
have checked pin-outs and am aware that it is crossed over) or do I HAVE to
use a tranceiver?
Thanks for your time,

Nick

AUI or not to AUI

Post by Primoz Jeronci » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 21:11:05

> Hi,
> Just a quick question really, I have a Cisco 1601 and an Accton Etherhub
> 16s+.  As the 1601 only has one RJ45 ethernet port, i need to use that to
> connect to the WAN (that is the only interface i can use).  So can i use the
> AUI ports on the hub and router to connect each other with a simple cable (I
> have checked pin-outs and am aware that it is crossed over) or do I HAVE to
> use a tranceiver?
> Thanks for your time,

On c1601 you have only one ethernet port. RJ45 and AUI is same
port. Only difference is that you don't have problems if your
network would have something what would need tranceiver to
connect it to router instead of RJ45 (Optics to UTP...). Other
port is serial port and you can't connect that to HUB's AUI
port.
You would need c1605 for this thing if you have to connect 2
ethernet networks together, and not c1601.
--
stay tuned,
Primoz
Primoz Jeroncic tel:  +386 1 562 31 40   |    The label said:
Blatnica 8      fax:  +386 1 562 18 55   |  Windows 95 or better

Slovenija       http://buzz.softnet.si/people/primoz

AUI or not to AUI

Post by Pete Mainwari » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:48:26

There is no onboard transceiver on an AUI port - you will need
external transceivers.

> Hi,
> Just a quick question really, I have a Cisco 1601 and an Accton Etherhub
> 16s+.  As the 1601 only has one RJ45 ethernet port, i need to use that to
> connect to the WAN (that is the only interface i can use).  So can i use the
> AUI ports on the hub and router to connect each other with a simple cable (I
> have checked pin-outs and am aware that it is crossed over) or do I HAVE to
> use a tranceiver?
> Thanks for your time,

> Nick

AUI or not to AUI

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:17:23

> AUI ports on the hub and router to connect each other with a simple cable (I
> have checked pin-outs and am aware that it is crossed over) or do I HAVE to
> use a tranceiver?

Yes, you have to use a transceiver.

                Regards,

--

                         Marco van den Bovenkamp.

         CIO EMEA Network Design Engineer,

         Lucent Technologies Nederland.
         Room: HVS OA307
         Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724

AUI or not to AUI

Post by Hansang Ba » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:43:35

Quote:> Hi,
> Just a quick question really, I have a Cisco 1601 and an Accton Etherhub
> 16s+.  As the 1601 only has one RJ45 ethernet port, i need to use that to
> connect to the WAN (that is the only interface i can use).  So can i use the
> AUI ports on the hub and router to connect each other with a simple cable (I
> have checked pin-outs and am aware that it is crossed over) or do I HAVE to
> use a tranceiver?
> Thanks for your time,

On your 1600 router, you can use the UTP (RJ45) *OR* the AUI port.  But
not both at the same time.

--

hsb

"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

1. AUI to AUI (router to hub)

Hi,

I was wondering how one would connect a cisco to a ethernet hub using
the AUI port (without using a Transceiver to convert to UTP). Cisco
supplies a cable, but it's male-to-female.

What I need is a cable that goes male-to-male, and the pinouts one would
need to make such a cable.

All the inputs and outputs match, except for the collision detection
inputs which have no matching outputs. Can anyone shed some light for
me?

Regards,
  -Tiaan.
WASP International | GSM vehicle tracking and datacomm solutions
Network manager    | +27-(0)11-622-8686 | http://www.wasp.co.za/~tiaan

2. IIDual?

3. AUI Trans to AUI Trans cable

4. DJGPP & 8051

5. AUI-AUI CrossOver Cable

6. Soundstream and EZCD 3.5c

7. AUI <--> AUI Connection?

8. Hotmail locks up

9. AUI to AUI (without Transceiver) how?

10. AUI-to-AUI? How?

11. AUI 2 AUI inverted cable

12. AUI to AUI