AUI to AUI (router to hub)

Post by Tiaan van Aard » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I was wondering how one would connect a cisco to a ethernet hub using
the AUI port (without using a Transceiver to convert to UTP). Cisco
supplies a cable, but it's male-to-female.

What I need is a cable that goes male-to-male, and the pinouts one would
need to make such a cable.

All the inputs and outputs match, except for the collision detection
inputs which have no matching outputs. Can anyone shed some light for
me?

Regards,
  -Tiaan.
WASP International | GSM vehicle tracking and datacomm solutions
Network manager    | +27-(0)11-622-8686 | http://www.wasp.co.za/~tiaan

AUI to AUI (router to hub)

Post by Aaron Leona » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

|Hi,
|
|I was wondering how one would connect a cisco to a ethernet hub using
|the AUI port (without using a Transceiver to convert to UTP). Cisco
|supplies a cable, but it's male-to-female.
|
|What I need is a cable that goes male-to-male, and the pinouts one would
|need to make such a cable.
|
|All the inputs and outputs match, except for the collision detection
|inputs which have no matching outputs. Can anyone shed some light for
|me?
|
|Regards,
|  -Tiaan.

Don't go down that path.  Get a pair of $20 10baseT transceivers
(or whatever they cost in Rands) and run a $7 crossover UTP cable
(or make your own - pin info available in the comp.dcom.cabling FAQ.)

Aaron

AUI to AUI (router to hub)

Post by Terry Kenned » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I was wondering how one would connect a cisco to a ethernet hub using
> the AUI port (without using a Transceiver to convert to UTP). Cisco
> supplies a cable, but it's male-to-female.

> What I need is a cable that goes male-to-male, and the pinouts one would
> need to make such a cable.

> All the inputs and outputs match, except for the collision detection
> inputs which have no matching outputs. Can anyone shed some light for
> me?

  You can't do that. Your choices are to either use 2 transceivers and a
piece of appropriate cable, or to use either a 2-headed transceiver (a
transceiver with 2 AUI ports) or a fanout box (like a DEC DELNI).

  Of the 3, I'd suggest 2 normal transceivers and cable - the 2-headed
units still require a piece of appropriate cable and the DELNI can be
problematic. The 2 normal transceivers are also the least expensive -
2 Allied Telesyn TP transceivers and a reasonable length of TP cable
is under US $75 without even bargaining hard.

        Terry Kennedy             Operations Manager, Academic Computing

        +1 201 915 9381 (voice)   +1 201 435-3662 (FAX)

1. AUI to 10BT Transceiver Instead of a Hub with AUI and 10BT?

Hi,

I am wondering why I can't seem to get two computers to talk to each other
by making an AUI cross over cable to connect between two transceivers
which are in turn each connected to 10BT and on to each computer.  It
works just fine with a couple of hubs that have AUI on them in addition to
10BT, but not with the transceivers.  I am powering the transceivers. I
don't even see any signals coming through the transceivers with the
oscilloscope.  Can someone explain this  to me or point me to an
explanation?

Thanks,

Rob

--
Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.
Walla Walla College

http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro

2. Mouse Over in Database Results Region

3. AUI or not to AUI

4. FA:eBay,Atari International TOS Catalog, ends June 3rd

5. AUI Trans to AUI Trans cable

6. TI C54x 32-bit fixed point divide

7. AUI-AUI CrossOver Cable

8. Installing new Help files.

9. AUI <--> AUI Connection?

10. AUI to AUI (without Transceiver) how?

11. AUI-to-AUI? How?

12. AUI 2 AUI inverted cable