HELP!!!!!!!!!!CCNA questions!!!!!

Post by Lee » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi, gurus,
     Here is some questions I doubt the answer :
1.I've seen a question ask "what is the preferal way to segment the LAN,

using router,
bridge or switch ?", I doubt is using router but not sure, what is your
opinion?
2.what 's the routing type of IS-IS? one question's answer say it is
link-state routing
protocol, but I think ICRC book say it is hybrid, which is right ?
3.one question's answer is "the packet will 'die' when it reaches the
terminator", while
the other satatement "the packet will time out" is not true, I think "
time out " is the
same thing with "die when reach terminator",am I right ?

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

Li Song

Homepage: http://dcb.hz.zj.cn/lisong

HELP!!!!!!!!!!CCNA questions!!!!!

Post by Joe Jackso » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi, gurus,
>      Here is some questions I doubt the answer :
> 1.I've seen a question ask "what is the preferal way to segment the LAN,

> using router,
> bridge or switch ?", I doubt is using router but not sure, what is your
> opinion?

None of the above.  Or all of the above.  I don't think you'll see a
question
like that on the test.  It's too ambiguous to have an answer.  Whether you
segment with a router, bridge, or switch depends on a ton of factors.

Quote:> 2.what 's the routing type of IS-IS? one question's answer say it is
> link-state routing
> protocol, but I think ICRC book say it is hybrid, which is right ?

It definitely has link state features, but OSI is not my specialty.  With
luck
somebody else will answer this one for you.

Quote:> 3.one question's answer is "the packet will 'die' when it reaches the
> terminator", while
> the other satatement "the packet will time out" is not true, I think "
> time out " is the
> same thing with "die when reach terminator",am I right ?

No.  From the two options, it sounds like you are looking at an ethernet
question.  "Die with it reaches the terminator" means that when the frame
hits the end of the coax, it hits a terminator.  A terminator is basically a
resistor that is balanced to the impedance of the cable.  What that means
is that the electrical impulses that make up your frame go to zero.  This
prevents the frame from reflecting from the end of the cable back to the
other devices.  Think of it as a ground (or a dummy-load if you have any
RF experience).

Timing-out is based on either a timer or a counter.  An IP packet header
has a TTL field used as a counter to determine when the packet times out.

Good luck.

Joe

Post by Zhang Sanfen » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > Hi, gurus,
> >      Here is some questions I doubt the answer :
> > 1.I've seen a question ask "what is the preferal way to segment the LAN,

> > using router,
> > bridge or switch ?", I doubt is using router but not sure, what is your
> > opinion?

> None of the above.  Or all of the above.  I don't think you'll see a
> question
> like that on the test.  It's too ambiguous to have an answer.  Whether you
> segment with a router, bridge, or switch depends on a ton of factors.

Anyway,

in test you should know, what are the differences, advantages and
disadvantages in segmenting lan with a) routers b) swithces/bridges c)
repeaters. Try to find CLSC or CRLS material. In those there is a whole
chapter about the subject.

--
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

HELP!!!!!!!!!!CCNA questions!!!!!

Post by Zhang Sanfen » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > 2.what 's the routing type of IS-IS? one question's answer say it is
> > link-state routing
> > protocol, but I think ICRC book say it is hybrid, which is right ?

> It definitely has link state features, but OSI is not my specialty.  With
> luck
> somebody else will answer this one for you.

From
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/osi_rout.htm :

"Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (IS-IS) is an OSI link-state
hierarchical routing protocol that floods the network with link-state
information to build a complete, consistent picture of network
topology."

EIGRP was the hybrid one.

Here is some (basic) stuff to read for the test:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/index.htm

HTH

--
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

Good health is simply the slow way of dying

1. Help!!!!! CCNA questions!!!!!!!!

Hi, gurus,
   I am preparing for CCNA, after read some study notes, I 've some
answers which
can not agree with the author, can you help me to revise them ??
   here are some questions:
Q:which protocols has protocols work at network layer?
A: ISDN,ppp,X.25
but i think PPP is layer-2 protocol

Q:what is the command to show both source and dest dlci ?
A:show frame-relay route
I have some interface running frame-relay but there are no output of
this
command, at what circustance can I use this command ?

Q:what occurrance will reset the holddown timer after triggered update?
one A is : the router receives a processing task proportional to the
number of links in the
internetwork
anybody can explain what's the meaning of this sentence ?

Q: how many classes of addresses are available for use on the internet ?

A: 3
I think is 4, why class-D addresses aren't available on internet ?

Q:identify the correct classfications of address classes ?
one A is : D -- used for broadcasting
I think it is obviously wrong, should be multicasting

Q:when designing a network you can typically use the
A:70/30 rule
I think should be 80/20 rule, someone say cisco's rule is 70/30, is that

true ?

Are my opinions  right???wait your response.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Li Song

Homepage: http://dcb.hz.zj.cn/lisong

2. 'zoo' archive format (questions)

3. Help: CCNA Study questions

4. DNS Newbie, please help

5. CCNA test questions? Please help.

6. LONG DISTANCE, LOCAL TELCOM SAVINGS FOR BUSINESS'S ONLY-TOP 4 CARRIER

7. CCNA example questions HELP !!

8. New Minolta Scan Multi Film Scanner

9. ACRC 480 Questions ; CCNA 600 Questions

10. SUBJECT: ACRC 480 Questions ; CCNA 600 Questions

11. ACRC 480 Questions ; CCNA 600 Questions

12. CCNA - CCNA RECERT TEST