Good objective information...

Post by Jim » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 00:12:08

I'm in the process of redesigning my network and am trying to decide which
vendor I'll use.  I've got both Cisco and Nortel in place now, and have my
own share of prejudice.  However, I'm trying to do my analysis from an
objective standpoint now and will inject my prejudice later on in the
project.

Can anyone recommend some good websites that have done product comparisons
between Cisco and Nortel for routers, switches, vpn and firewall?

Or does anyone with a lot of experience in BOTH vendors want to contribute
their opinions as to ease of use, performance, reliability, support, etc...

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Post by Walter Robers » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 20:13:55

:I'm in the process of redesigning my network and am trying to decide which
:vendor I'll use.  I've got both Cisco and Nortel in place now, and have my
:own share of prejudice.  However, I'm trying to do my analysis from an
:objective standpoint now and will inject my prejudice later on in the
:project.

:Can anyone recommend some good websites that have done product comparisons
:between Cisco and Nortel for routers, switches, vpn and firewall?

:Or does anyone with a lot of experience in BOTH vendors want to contribute
:their opinions as to ease of use, performance, reliability, support, etc...

Some points that I suggest you consider:

- Is one product noticably more flexible than the other? If so,
then what is the likelyhood that you would need the extra flexibility
during the lifetime of the product? Prices tend to drop: if it will
be some time before you need the extra flexibility, then would it
be less expensive to pay-as-you-go or to buy the flexibility now?

- How are the online support sites? Are you able to find
the documentation you need reasonably easily? How useful are the
tools that they provide?

- How good are the support people? If your network goes down
at 2 a.m., will you be able to get through to someone who has a clue?
If you have an issue that crosses product lines, will the router
people tell you "Sorry, switches are a different division, you'll
have to open another case and explain your problem all over again" ?
Do bugs get fixed in a reasonable amount of time?

- Is there a good online community of users?

With -both- vendors, I have made the mistake of specing gear
that met my immediate needs but turned out to be inflexible to
various degrees. For one of the two vendors, the situation turned
out to be essentially hopeless, to the point were I would
probably refuse to buy expensive equipment from that vendor
unless I were able to test it out, on-site, before committing.
I have, though, seen a number of people say they get good
service from that vendor, so YMMV.
--
   We don't need no side effect-ing
   We don't need no scope control

Post by Rick Harr » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:06:05

> I'm in the process of redesigning my network and am trying to decide which
> vendor I'll use.  I've got both Cisco and Nortel in place now, and have my
> own share of prejudice.  However, I'm trying to do my analysis from an
> objective standpoint now and will inject my prejudice later on in the
> project.

> Can anyone recommend some good websites that have done product comparisons
> between Cisco and Nortel for routers, switches, vpn and firewall?

> Or does anyone with a lot of experience in BOTH vendors want to contribute
> their opinions as to ease of use, performance, reliability, support, etc...

> Thanks in advance,

> Jim

If you want to use OPEN standards,use Nortel. Both have execellent equipment.
Both have their own quirks configuring the equipment.
Both companies have Network Management Software,which can be a full-time job.
As far as pr stuff Cisco IMHO stretches the specs more than Nortel.

Good objective information...

Post by Mats Karlsso » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:47:10

Quote:> I'm in the process of redesigning my network and am trying to decide which
> vendor I'll use.  I've got both Cisco and Nortel in place now, and have my
> own share of prejudice.  However, I'm trying to do my analysis from an
> objective standpoint now and will inject my prejudice later on in the
> project.

> Can anyone recommend some good websites that have done product comparisons
> between Cisco and Nortel for routers, switches, vpn and firewall?

> Or does anyone with a lot of experience in BOTH vendors want to contribute
> their opinions as to ease of use, performance, reliability, support,
etc...

> Thanks in advance,

> Jim

You can always search/ask research institutes for information like :
http://www.nortelnetworks.com/solutions/wan/collateral/tolly2_r.pdf
http://veritest.com/clients/reports/cisco/catalyst_nortel.pdf

Or do an google search for "comparison cisco nortel"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en|lang_no|lang_sv&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=comparison+cisco+nortel&spell=1

Happy reading
/Mats

Good objective information...

Post by Netfo » Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:03:44

Jim-
I work for a regional ISP and have dealt with both Nortel and Cisco
support. It seems that our CISCO equipment fails more often, however
their support is fantastic. The Nortel equipment tends to have less
problems, however I find their support staff to be inept. Their
networking fundamentals are bad and they have poor knowledge of their
own product lines.

Best of luck