newbie question: Global Roaming Server

Post by Fan wei hu » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi there:

Sorry for asking the following stupid question. I have no experience in
Global Roaming Server (GRS) and  I appreciate any help.

Situation
My company is located at Hong Kong and have twoPoPs in Taiwan and Singapore
respectively.

We want our users(travelling)  dial a local call to the closest POP and use
global roaming server to forward an authentication request to the secruity
server.

NAS->GRS Server->RADIUS Server

Question1:
Do we have to have one GRS server and radius server on each location?

Question2:
What about GRS synchronization?

Question3:
If  Hong Kong users dial the Hong Kong's telephone no,  how can we bypass
the GRS server?

Thankyou for clearifying that matter to me.

newbie question: Global Roaming Server

Post by Fergi » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Have a look at the following site and maybe send them an email to get more
info. http://www.gric.com/

I am sure there will be competing networks to GRIC but I know this one is
used quite a lot and seems to work.

The basic idea is that your customers will call a local ISP (one which also
uses GRIC) in the country they are visiting. You do not need to deploy any
equipment.

I think authentication is proxied back to your own authentication servers
and start/finish records are also sent back to your accounting servers.

I am not sure how or if the ISP in the foreign country gets any money but
visitors to your country would use your network to access the Internet in a
reciprocal way.

[...]

1. Question about Roaming/Un-roaming on Sprint PCS

The other day, I was driving on I-5 in far northern California,
returning from Oregon to San Francisco. My cellphone is a Samsung
SCH-3500 on Sprint PCS, and Sprint has a major gap in coverage between
Ashland OR and Redding CA. Since I was expecting an important incoming
call, I put the phone into "Automatic" roaming mode, which can roam on
analog or digital networks. There was a stretch around Dunsmuir where
I couldn't even get a signal on any compatible roaming network, but
then I picked up an analog signal and locked onto it.

The part that got me wondering the most, though, was when I got into
Redding. I was into the city of Redding itself, which has good
coverage on the Sprint PCS network. However, the phone stayed locked
onto the analog roaming signal, even though there was no inbound or
outbound activity. I finally had to switch the phone back to
Sprint-only mode to get it to re-test for a signal; it then promptly
latched onto a solid signal and registered with the system, picking up
a voicemail that had been left earlier when I was off the air.

So my question is, if a cellphone is in standby mode and has locked
onto a roaming signal, what is the protocol for trying again to lock
onto the preferred carrier? I would guess that I was in roaming mode
in Sprint coverage territory for at least about 10 minutes without
ever detecting that I could and should switch back to the Sprint
network.

I could understand that the phone would stick with the analog roaming
carrier if I had a call in progress, but it seems like it should be a
bit more diligent about detecting that it no longer needs to roam.

2. JPEG in Matlab

3. 525 Pix is not roaming global ranges

4. Ifdef(1) - selectively remove #ifdef's

5. Digital Global Roaming

6. StockQuoter build error private StockQuoter sq = new StockQuoter();

7. WANTED: ARCSERVE Agents For Database Servers

8. GTE PCS/Global Roam

9. Question about Radius Server Arrangement in Recpriocal ISP Roaming Agreements

10. newbie:NT roaming profiles

11. newbie: cisco vlan newbie question