Connectivity for Remote Office Across Main Road - 300 feet away

Connectivity for Remote Office Across Main Road - 300 feet away

Post by Joe » Sat, 04 May 2002 05:24:05

Not sure if this is the most appropriate NG for this question, but
there's some very knowledgeable people here nonetheless.

I need to connect a remote office to our network.  The office is
across a main road - only about 300 feet away.  If only i could string
a few Cat5 cables across the road!  I'm guessing this is highly
illegal, though.  Anybody have any opinions on the feasability?

With that option out, i'm looking for a way to get them hooked up
without ordering up a T1.  Is traditional wireless reliable enough?
Is there anything better, considering we'd only need one transmitter
and receiver, both of which are stationary?  I know we could do VPN
over the remote office's Internet connection.

What about "extending" the phone switch without copper pairs?  I guess
the only way todo this is with another phone switch in the remote
office and some sort of T1 between the two?

Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks, -JZ

Connectivity for Remote Office Across Main Road - 300 feet away

Post by Chad Whitte » Sat, 04 May 2002 07:25:30

how far are the offices from the local telco central office?  if they are
less than about 2 miles i have a solution that will cost you about $200
bucks in hardware and $40-$50 a month for a the line between the two.  its
an ethernet bridge and works up to 6 megabits per sec.

--
Chad Whitten
Network/Systems Administrator

1. VPN: Main Office ASA5510 to Remote 2811 w/ dual DSL

I need some help: options and/or confirmation. I planned this out w/
Cisco pre-sales consulting, now the Cisco support is saying it can't be
done as planned. I know enough to understand the situation but not
enough to do the configurations or know if they really have the problem
and options correct.

Main Office has a T1 into a 2621XM, which is in front of an ASA5510.
The remote office has a 2811 w/ 2 DSL circuits, same provider but on
separate subnets. I need a VPN between the 2 offices, I either need to
prioritize voice over data on 1 tunnel OR have separate tunnels for
voice & data traffic over the separate DSL circuits.  I would prefer 1
tunnel that uses both DSL circuits w/ prioritized voice since it
provides redundancy if one DSL circuit goes down.

I am aware of the issues of voice over DSL, let's save that discussion
for another day.

Cisco support is saying that you can't have 2 tunnels from the 2811
terminating on 1 IP on the 5510. My understanding of the problem as
they described it: the crypto map will overlap / conflict, either the
2nd tunnel won't come up or it will come up and take down the first
tunnel; because it will know the the far side IP is the same for both
tunnels.  Does this sound correct? If so this implies that it could be
done w/ 2 routers at the remote site but not 1?

Someone else has suggested bonding the 2 DSL circuits together in a
multi-link or etherchannel, and running the tunnel from the multi-link
or etherchannel interface to the 5510. Does this sound feasible, can
you provide an example config/link?

Cisco support says my options are:

1. Obtaining from my ISP a 2nd block of IP's on a different subnet to
allow another WAN interface to be active on the 5510.
2. Terminating 2 tunnels on the 2621instead of the 5510.

I'm not a fan of either option and aren't sure that moving the tunnels
to the 2621 isn't just recreating the problem on another box, creating
other security/mgmt issues and for the most part making the 5510
unnecessary.

Thanks for your help. Pls email for a better diagram in pdf format if
it will help.

Ed

Main Office:
--------------------|
2621XM              |-----T1 to Internet
--------------------|

--------------------|
ASA5510             |----DMZ
--------------------|

------------------------------------------------|
3760 Vlan1 Data & Vlan10 Voice                  |
------------------------------------------------|

Remote Office:

-----------------|--DSL1--to Internet
2811             |
-----------------|--DSL2--to Internet
|    |
|    |--VLAN1-Data

|--VLAN10-Voice

2. Cost of licenses

3. 6 Remote Sites to Main Office

4. max payne in the ass

5. 300 feet on UTP?

6. How can I access the joystick?

7. Creating a report from a flat file

8. Does 300 feet of Bridge Tap make a difference?

9. 300+ foot limit

10. Connecting small branch office to main office

11. Conecting two 2503 300 meters away

12. Connecting small branch office to main office