SNMP MIB if-in-octet, how this comes out ?

SNMP MIB if-in-octet, how this comes out ?

Post by dhsie » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

SNMP-MIB variable if-in-octet, , By word, I know it means interface input
octet. On a second thought, this figure must be a accumulated number (input
octet for N seconds ? and then reset ? )
Will anyone help to explain how this figure comes out. thanks

Post by Thomas Dzubi » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> SNMP-MIB variable if-in-octet, , By word, I know it means interface input
> octet. On a second thought, this figure must be a accumulated number (input
> octet for N seconds ? and then reset ? )
> Will anyone help to explain how this figure comes out. thanks

The IfInOctets. MIB variable accumulates from device power-up basically
forever or until it wraps around through it's 32-bit capacity.  It does
NOT reset automagically after a certain set number of seconds.
It is a "Counter" variable.  If you wish to use it to measure interface
bandwidth or something, you'll have to do some arithmetic and calculate
delta values  (value2 - value1 = delta) while watching out for the
counter wrapping around.

A good reference to look at is RFC1573, "Evolution of the Interfaces
Group of MIB-II" available at:
   ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1573.txt

----
Thomas Dzubin, Network Analyst and PDP-11/Unix tinkerer
Calgary, Saskatoon, and Vancouver  CANADA

1. SNMP MIB info for packet/octet counts per ATM PVC

I am trying to track down whether or not I can monitor a number of
PVCs on an ATM link so that I can tell the packet and octet counts
on a per PVC basis. Does anyone know if this is possible and with
which IOS release? Also if it is possible where can I get the
MIB info to compile.

P.O. Box 3511, Station C                 Phone:     (613) 763-5634
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA K1Y-4H7          FAX:       (613) 765-3091

2. Maximum num of hidden layers?

3. SNMP variable for *IP* octets and not Layer#2 octets

4. VUE/POINT 95

5. No luck setting an Octet string in a MIB - specifically the Q-btridge MIB.

6. Tandy Computer Whiz Kids comics on the Web

7. MG-SOFT SNMP MIB Browser Professional Edition with MIB Compiler for Linux

8. Sending hangs at RCPT TO line for certain email addresses

9. Which MIB file to use with cmu-snmp's snmp-get?

10. SNMP Cisco IP accounting mib.txt for CMU-SNMP

11. MIB Compile problem w/ CMU-SNMP v2 SNMP s/w

12. : Does SNMP output octet count include dropped packets?