chat-script problems between two cisco2511's

chat-script problems between two cisco2511's

Post by Curtis C. Genero » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I can't seem to get two CISCO 2511 IOS 10.3(3) to properly bring up a
DDR line using an ASYNC port and to negotiate the chat-script to
cause the logon to work.

Troubleshooting shows that the chat script is failing after sending the
password, yet manual dialing the same modem (telnet 2000+port#) reveals
that the expect/send sequences are as specified in the config file.
it's about as simple a chat-script as can be yet it fails to work:

Manually dialing gives the following:

    atdtXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    CONNECT 28800/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS

    User Access Verification

    Username: USER
    Password: PASS
    Entering PPP mode.
    Async interface address is unnumbered (Ethernet0)
    Your IP address is XX.XX.XX.XX. MTU is 1500 bytes
    Header compression will match your system.

The relevant info from the config file on the router initiating
the call is:

chat-script dial ABORT ERROR "" "AT Z" OK "ATDT \T" TIMEOUT 45 \c CONNECT \c
chat-script login ABORT invalid TIMEOUT 15 name: USER word: PASS "MTU is" \c

    interface Async1
     ip address XX.XX.XX.XX 255.255.255.0
     encapsulation ppp
     async dynamic routing
     dialer in-band
     dialer idle-timeout 600
     dialer enable-timeout 5
     dialer wait-for-carrier-time 45
     dialer map ip YY.YY.YY.YY modem-script dial system-script login PHONE#
     dialer-group 1

    access-list 101 permit ip any any
    dialer-list 1 list 101

    line 1
     no exec
     modem dtr-active
     stopbits 1
     rxspeed 38400
     txspeed 38400
     flowcontrol hardware

Anything else anyone can suggest?  I have tried just about every
combination of chat script, line params, etc....  I thought I was
done with chat scripts when UUCP stopped being used around here....

TIA

--curtis

--

UUcom, Inc., Alexandria VA  22311                       Fax:   (703) 824-1611

chat-script problems between two cisco2511's

Post by Pasvorn Boonmar » Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:00:00

What I usually do is to wait for "~" to come back.  An
example of chat-script would then be:

 chat-script login ABORT invalid TIMEOUT 15 name: USER word: PASS ~

Do you have an output of "debug chat"?

-Pasvorn

> I can't seem to get two CISCO 2511 IOS 10.3(3) to properly bring up a
> DDR line using an ASYNC port and to negotiate the chat-script to
> cause the logon to work.

> Troubleshooting shows that the chat script is failing after sending the
> password, yet manual dialing the same modem (telnet 2000+port#) reveals
> that the expect/send sequences are as specified in the config file.
> it's about as simple a chat-script as can be yet it fails to work:

> Manually dialing gives the following:

>     atdtXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>     CONNECT 28800/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS

>     User Access Verification

>     Username: USER
>     Password: PASS
>     Entering PPP mode.
>     Async interface address is unnumbered (Ethernet0)
>     Your IP address is XX.XX.XX.XX. MTU is 1500 bytes
>     Header compression will match your system.

> The relevant info from the config file on the router initiating
> the call is:

> chat-script dial ABORT ERROR "" "AT Z" OK "ATDT \T" TIMEOUT 45 \c CONNECT \c
> chat-script login ABORT invalid TIMEOUT 15 name: USER word: PASS "MTU is" \c

>     interface Async1
>      ip address XX.XX.XX.XX 255.255.255.0
>      encapsulation ppp
>      async dynamic routing
>      dialer in-band
>      dialer idle-timeout 600
>      dialer enable-timeout 5
>      dialer wait-for-carrier-time 45
>      dialer map ip YY.YY.YY.YY modem-script dial system-script login PHONE#
>      dialer-group 1

>     access-list 101 permit ip any any
>     dialer-list 1 list 101

>     line 1
>      no exec
>      modem dtr-active
>      stopbits 1
>      rxspeed 38400
>      txspeed 38400
>      flowcontrol hardware

> Anything else anyone can suggest?  I have tried just about every
> combination of chat script, line params, etc....  I thought I was
> done with chat scripts when UUCP stopped being used around here....

> TIA

> --curtis

> --

> UUcom, Inc., Alexandria VA  22311                  Fax:   (703) 824-1611

1. chat-script 'EVENT' limitation with cisco's IOS

Well, I'm having a bit of an issue with chat-scripts on the 2511's.

Here's the situation:

sv1(config-line)#script ?
  activation  chat script to run whenever line is activated
  connection  chat script to run whenever connection is made to the line
  dialer      chat script to run whenever dialer makes an outgoing call
  reset       chat script to run whenever line is reset
  startup     chat script to run at system startup

Though cisco was nice enough to give us a few different events
to assign chat-scripts to, the one I need doesn't seem to be here :(

What I want to do is send some 'AT' commands to the connected modems
each time the calling user disconnects. I don't trust the modem to
remember it's commands, call me paranoid.. At anyrate, the 'reset'
chat event comes the closest to filling my requirement. Unfortunately,
for some reason, the 'reset' event calls the chat-script BEFORE it
toggles DTR (which causes the connected user to be disconnected),
so right before the user is disconnected they get to see some AT
commands.. The cisco doesn't get an "OK" back ofcourse, because it's
trying to chat with the user's dumb-terminal, gets frustrated, and
the chat-script process dies.. THEN ofcourse the DTR is toggled and
the user is happily hung up. Needless to say, there's no benefit for
using the 'reset' event unless you want to include '+++<delay>ath0'
in your chat script to hang the modem up manually, which is not only
tacky, but insecure.

As a programmer myself, I don't imagine adding another chat-script event
of this type would be terribly difficult considering how close the 'reset'
event already is.  What are the chances of cisco doing that for me? :-)

-- NetScape v1.1b1 runnin' on LiNuX!

"The system we learn says we're equal under law" --------------------
"But the streets are reality, the weak and poor will fall" ----------
"Let's tip the power balance and tear down their crown" -------------
"Educate the masses, We'll burn the White House down" ---------------
Queensryche, "Operation MINDCRIME", "Speak" -------------------------

2. WTT/WTB IIGS book(s)

3. Modem chat script and System Chat script

4. SBS 4.5 VPN

5. Problems with chat script part two

6. diff between spectrum and picasso

7. bitsurfr pro and linux chat script - MLPPP needs '&' character but...

8. for kevin: highly aesthetic fast downloads - of uc - (1/1)

9. A '>' in a chat script

10. Do you always need to configure chat-script?

11. chat-script

12. Boca Chat-Script for 2511

13. ios 11.0(8) and chat-script