Windows 95 -> 1603 -> 3640 -> Windows 95 configuration

Windows 95 -> 1603 -> 3640 -> Windows 95 configuration

Post by Rob Dark » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Dear Experts,

We have an application which uses TCP/IP. Although it's not really a
client-server application, the equivalent of our "clients" (Windows 95
machines)
run at both the remote and central sites whilst the "servers" (which is
are DOS
machines running a TCP/IP stack) are at the remote sites. The central
3640 router
needs to dial the remotes if backup lines are required, not the other
way around.
This is the way that it needs to work for financial reasons (ISDN
billing). For info, the remote sites have 1603 routers running just the
basic IP feature set but we have IPX feature packs available for them if
necessary but it's easier to leave them alone than to update them if we
don't have to.

The TCP/IP side of things is absolutely fine. We have Kilostream routes
to the
remote sites with ISDN as "proper" backup links (backup interface dialer
X with
the ISDN BRI's all in one pool and each dialer interface pointing at a
different remote site). Kilostream TCP/IP and backup TCP/IP work fine
(Enhanced
IGRP pretty much takes care of all that).

In order to make our software updates easier, we would like to have
visilbility of
our Windows 95 machines at each site from the central site. Although we
can use
FTP clients/servers to pass files we would rather use standard Windows
95
networking (IPX, Netbeui, whatever) and share out the drives/directories
for
each site using Windows 95 file sharing. (It doesn't seem to work over
TCP/IP -
should it?)

I am using bridging over the serial links to successfully provide this
setup BUT
if I either force the kilostream to fail (or if it fails of it's own
accord) the
ISDN backup links don't seem to carry the same information. We need the
ISDN
lines to carry everything that the serial links do and stay connected
permanently until the Kilostream comes good. However, on ISDN backup the
Windows 95 machines disappear from the Network Neighborhood and cannot
be seen
using the normal Windows file sharing connectivity.

Everything I've tried to make this work over the ISDN links has failed.
Has
anyone got any ideas? Am I going about it the wrong way? Should I be
using
another protocol completely (IPX for example) along with our TCP/IP?

I decided not to post the configuration files straight away in case
someone says
"Oh, its obvious, you probably aren't doing X-Y-Z" but I can provide the
files if it will help. And any help will be VERY gratefully received.
I've been scouring the (next to useless) manuals, online help, Cisco's
web site and DejaNews for clues about this, all with no luck so far.

Best wishes,

Rob Darke

Windows 95 -> 1603 -> 3640 -> Windows 95 configuration

Post by Aaron Leona » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

If IP is working fine but the Microsoft Windows boxes can't do their
Microsoft Windows thing, then I'd bet that this is a Microsoft Windows
config issue and not a Cisco config issue.

In which case why not consult whatever method you prefer to get
Microsoft Windows configuration support.

Aaron

---

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:04:30 -0400, Rob Darke

> [...]

>Windows 95 machines disappear from the Network Neighborhood and cannot
>be seen
>using the normal Windows file sharing connectivity.

>Everything I've tried to make this work over the ISDN links has failed.
>Has
>anyone got any ideas? Am I going about it the wrong way? Should I be
>using
>another protocol completely (IPX for example) along with our TCP/IP?

>I decided not to post the configuration files straight away in case
>someone says
>"Oh, its obvious, you probably aren't doing X-Y-Z" but I can provide the
>files if it will help. And any help will be VERY gratefully received.
>I've been scouring the (next to useless) manuals, online help, Cisco's
>web site and DejaNews for clues about this, all with no luck so far.

random
garbage
appended
for
the
benefit
of
the
moronic
cisco
news
server
random
garbage
appended
for
the
benefit
of
the
moronic
cisco
news
server
random
garbage
appended
for
the
benefit
of
the
moronic
cisco
news
server
random
garbage
appended
for
the
benefit
of
the
moronic
cisco
news
server
random
garbage
appended
for
the
benefit
of
the
moronic
cisco
news
server
random
garbage
appended
for
the
benefit
of
the
moronic
cisco
news
server
random
garbage
appended
for
the
benefit
of
the
moronic
cisco
news
server
random
garbage
appended
for
the
benefit
of
the
moronic
cisco
news
server
random
garbage
appended
for
the
benefit
of
the
moronic
cisco
news
server

1. Network works with Win 95->Win 95 but not Win 3.11->win 95

I'm using peer-to-peer connection with two computer connected via
coaxial cable and Netware 2000 compatible cards.

The "other" computer has Win 95 running and my computer has Win 3.11
and Win 95 (using Win 95 bootmanager). When I boot up Win 95 in my
computer everything works all right with the network connection. Win I
boot with Win 3.11 it just can't find the other computer.

I'm sure that the connection works since as I put up the network card
and got the Win 3.11->win 95 connection to work allright, but next day
no connection (allthough Win 95->Win 95 did work). I must have done
something in the Win 3.11 setup that prevents network connection but
for the life of me I can't figure out what. The other computer has not
been touched (it runs 24 hrs 7 days a week).

What should I look for? net start works Ok. What else?

2. # of sessions per host

3. <<<<<<<< Lan Guru's Please Help >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

4. DLL for MSword and Arcview

5. Windows 95 passwords -> logging onto a Windows NT network

6. Encore vs Sequent -- summary of responses. Thanks a lot !

7. REVEAL PM7oo INTERNAL INIT ...PLEASE>>>>>>>

8. Dash Variations

9. >>>>>>>A Conspiracy?<<<<<<<

10. HELP>>>>>>>Connect PC -- PC with UTP-CAT5 - 100Mhz..

11. Where to get Windows comm driver for 115,600>>>>Help Me Please

12. <<<>>> INFORMATION ABOUT SPORTSTER LOCKUPS <<<>>>