When I connect second PC to router, both PC's request timesout, why?

When I connect second PC to router, both PC's request timesout, why?

Post by Sant » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:34:12

I have Netgear Router with 4-port switch, Router uplink connected to
Cable modem, I have 4 wired ports on router, when I connect my XP PC,
there is always internet connection to the PC, when I conect second
PC(win 2k/Linux) to the router port, then both PC's loosing internet
connection, my both ping programs on both PC's prints "request times
out" message, what was the reason?.

When I connect second PC to router, both PC's request timesout, why?

Post by Dan McDai » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:35:33

Can you ping each machine from the other?

Dan

Quote:> I have Netgear Router with 4-port switch, Router uplink connected to
> Cable modem, I have 4 wired ports on router, when I connect my XP PC,
> there is always internet connection to the PC, when I conect second
> PC(win 2k/Linux) to the router port, then both PC's loosing internet
> connection, my both ping programs on both PC's prints "request times
> out" message, what was the reason?.

When I connect second PC to router, both PC's request timesout, why?

Post by Lurc » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:58:58

together this:

Quote:>I have Netgear Router with 4-port switch, Router uplink connected to
>Cable modem,

Shouldn't that be the 'WAN' or 'internet' port?

Quote:>my both ping programs on both PC's prints "request times
>out" message, what was the reason?.

Well, that's a rather vague question with thousands of answers, but
it's worth a shot I suppose.
What are the IP addresses of these two machines?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 08:26:36

> together this:

>>I have Netgear Router with 4-port switch, Router uplink connected to
>>Cable modem,

> Shouldn't that be the 'WAN' or 'internet' port?

That could be the problem if the modem is in fact connected to Uplink port
(dumbed down to just a switch)  instead of modem to WAN port.  The cable
DHCP may only give out a single IP.

Quote:>> my both ping programs on both PC'sprints "request times
>>out" message, what was the reason?.

> Well,that's a rather vague question with thousands of answers, but
> it's worth a shot I suppose.
> What are the IP addresses of these two machines?

In other words what is output of /sbin/ifconfig and "/sbin/route -n" in
Linux or ipconfig and "route /print" in Windows?

When I connect second PC to router, both PC's request timesout, why?

Post by Sant » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:45:08

Yes, I can ping each PC from another (win2k to xp and viceversa).

When I connect second PC to router, both PC's request timesout, why?

Post by Sant » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:47:05

The router is gateway, which had DHCP, gateway IP is 192.168.0.1, My
XP machine Ip is 192.168.0.2 and Win2K PC IP is 192.168.0.3.

Post by Juhan Leeme » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:19:45

> together this:

>>I have Netgear Router with 4-port switch, Router uplink connected to
>>Cable modem,

> Shouldn't that be the 'WAN' or 'internet' port?

I would say. I have a Linksys firewall/router. It has an uplink port on
one side (actually cross-wired to port#1 internally!), and the WAN port on
the other side. Hmm, that reminds me, I once mis-connected a different hub
like that. I had a computer in both port#1 and the uplink port. Didn't
work worth a damn. Odd errors, too, I suppose lots of collisions?

Quote:>>my both ping programs on both PC's prints "request times
>>out" message, what was the reason?.

Check your wiring. Is yours a firewall/router? or regular hub? If just a
hub, I'd consider getting a firewall/router. They're less than $100 these
days, and you'll be glad you did (no "cracked" machines by script kiddies).

Quote:> Well, that's a rather vague question with thousands of answers, but
> it's worth a shot I suppose.
> What are the IP addresses of these two machines?

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.

When I connect second PC to router, both PC's request timesout, why?

Post by Fred Marshal » Sat, 03 Jul 2004 00:35:53

You didn't say what IP addresses those computers have.  Could it be they are
the same?
If the router provides DHCP then it should not be an issue.  Even so, you
might assign IP addresses by DHCP in a part of the range that you aren't
using for static IP addresses - just to be safe.  It sure can't hurt with so
few computers involved!

If they're the same then they probably couldn't ping each other though....
but it might explain loss of connectivity.

What happens if the XP machines of off the router.  Does the Win2K/Linux
machine see anything? Can it ping the router or reach the internet in that
situation?

Any firewalls that might prevent internet access?

You didn't say how you're connecting to the ISP.
If you had connection software running on the XP machine
and, if you are passing the IP address straight through the router without
using NAT, then the problem your'e having might happen I guess.

The router should be making the connection to the ISP, getting the internet
IP address from the ISP and should be translating that IP address into your
internal private IP addresses on the LAN.

You are using NAT and you are using private range IP addresses on the LAN,
right?

Fred

Quote:> I have Netgear Router with 4-port switch, Router uplink connected to
> Cable modem, I have 4 wired ports on router, when I connect my XP PC,
> there is always internet connection to the PC, when I conect second
> PC(win 2k/Linux) to the router port, then both PC's loosing internet
> connection, my both ping programs on both PC's prints "request times
> out" message, what was the reason?.

When I connect second PC to router, both PC's request timesout, why?

Post by Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CC » Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:45:20

This is not really a common issue here, because your setup is VERY
BASIC.

You have a router that works because it has 1 xp client that is able
to browse the web.  This means Life is good here, DHCP is working
hardware is all good.

You add a SECOND client and Everything loses connection. HMMMMM!  This
seams PURELY Hardware to me OR IP CONFLICT but your XP client machine
would probably notify you of this problem and/or the second added
machine.  I HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE, could u possibly have the same MAC
address on both machines?  But you would also get a warning.

When you add the additional machine, do you notice ALOT of activity on
the router?  Try a DIFFERENT NIC on the second machine for testing
purposes.

Let's just think about this.   WITH OUT the adding of the SECOND
MACHINE EVERYTHING WORKS FINE.  This means I would not play with any
firewall or NAT settings.  EVERYTHING IS WORKING.  YOU add a SECOND
MACHINE and EVERYTHING STOPS WORKING.  Play around with your hardware.
 The router could even be faulty. WHO KNOWS but i think it is hardware
related.

Run a packet sniffer on the XP client machine, EVEN THO in a switched
network environment you cant see everything you WILL see broadcasts.
If there is a duplicate IP or some trouble you MIGHT see the BROADCAST
of the error before they both fail.  OR AT LEAST WHY YOUR nic isnt
working.

When I connect second PC to router, both PC's request timesout, why?

Post by Sant » Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:05:54

all the PC's get IP address from Router. Router is connected to Cable
Modem, DHCP is enabled on the Router, this is Router-cum-4 port
switch, As soon as I turned on second PC, the both PC's looses
connection, I installed (WinPcap) can this be used to sniff teh
packets?. Any other suggestions please.

Also, If I turnoff Xp and turn on the Linux machine, everything OK,
whenever I add second one this happens, also I verified the IP
addresss, all are different, main Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and all
others are .2 and .3 Ip adderesses. I verfied "route print", it says
192.168.0.1 is default gateway. But still as soon as I add secondf
one, both timesout.

Post by E Dra » Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:34:57

> all the PC's get IP address from Router. Router is connected to Cable
> Modem, DHCP is enabled on the Router, this is Router-cum-4 port
> switch, As soon as I turned on second PC, the both PC's looses
> connection, I installed (WinPcap) can this be used to sniff teh
> packets?. Any other suggestions please.

> Also, If I turnoff Xp and turn on the Linux machine, everything OK,
> whenever I add second one this happens, also I verified the IP
> addresss, all are different, main Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and all
> others are .2 and .3 Ip adderesses. I verfied "route print", it says
> 192.168.0.1 is default gateway. But still as soon as I add secondf
> one, both timesout.

I would also check the speed and duplex settings of your network
interfaces. I can't say I know exactly why or how it causes problems,
but I had similar troubles when I had both a 10 and a 100Mbit/s card
and the 100MBit card refused to change down to 10 for some reason. I
suspect on newer routers this may not be an issue though.

Do you see the speed of the interfaces on some LEDs or something on
the router?

Just my 2 cents

/jeff

Post by E Dra » Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:55:10

> all the PC's get IP address from Router. Router is connected to Cable
> Modem, DHCP is enabled on the Router, this is Router-cum-4 port
> switch, As soon as I turned on second PC, the both PC's looses
> connection, I installed (WinPcap) can this be used to sniff teh
> packets?. Any other suggestions please.

> Also, If I turnoff Xp and turn on the Linux machine, everything OK,
> whenever I add second one this happens, also I verified the IP
> addresss, all are different, main Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and all
> others are .2 and .3 Ip adderesses. I verfied "route print", it says
> 192.168.0.1 is default gateway. But still as soon as I add secondf
> one, both timesout.

ouch.. I see you can ping between the machines, and then my suggestion
is useless. you couldn't do that if you had such problems

/jeff

Post by Jame » Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:50:56

> all the PC's get IP address from Router. Router is connected to Cable
> Modem, DHCP is enabled on the Router, this is Router-cum-4 port
> switch, As soon as I turned on second PC, the both PC's looses
> connection, I installed (WinPcap) can this be used to sniff teh
> packets?. Any other suggestions please.

> Also, If I turnoff Xp and turn on the Linux machine, everything OK,
> whenever I add second one this happens, also I verified the IP
> addresss, all are different, main Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and all
> others are .2 and .3 Ip adderesses. I verfied "route print", it says
> 192.168.0.1 is default gateway. But still as soon as I add secondf
> one, both timesout.

What MAC addresses are registered on the 2 computers, there could be a
conflict there, especally if the NICs are onboard and made by the same
company.  There has been a recent posting where the NIC didn't get
given a MAC address untill the motherboard driver software had been
installed.

Looking at the router's console, what IP addresses does it think it
has given out, and to which MACs

What happens if you turn DHCP off and manually configure the IP
addresses on both machines and the router?

James

Post by Juhan Leeme » Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:02:49

>> all the PC's get IP address from Router. Router is connected to Cable
>> Modem, DHCP is enabled on the Router, this is Router-cum-4 port
>> switch, As soon as I turned on second PC, the both PC's looses
>> connection, I installed (WinPcap) can this be used to sniff teh
>> packets?. Any other suggestions please.

>> Also, If I turnoff Xp and turn on the Linux machine, everything OK,
>> whenever I add second one this happens, also I verified the IP
>> addresss, all are different, main Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and all
>> others are .2 and .3 Ip adderesses. I verfied "route print", it says
>> 192.168.0.1 is default gateway. But still as soon as I add secondf
>> one, both timesout.

> I would also check the speed and duplex settings of your network
> interfaces. I can't say I know exactly why or how it causes problems,
> but I had similar troubles when I had both a 10 and a 100Mbit/s card
> and the 100MBit card refused to change down to 10 for some reason. I
> suspect on newer routers this may not be an issue though.

> Do you see the speed of the interfaces on some LEDs or something on
> the router?

I once did a dumb thing... I connected a computer into hub port #1,
forgetting that this was wired together with the uplink port, which I was
also using. Did you try plugging the computers into other ports?

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.