Routing Protocol Support vs. Routed Protocls

Routing Protocol Support vs. Routed Protocls

Post by Stephen Koffl » Sat, 09 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I've been looking at the specs for the 7000 on the web page and It has
two separate lists: Routing Protocol Support and Routed Protocols.

What's the difference?

Post by Daniel J. McDonal » Sat, 09 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I've been looking at the specs for the 7000 on the web page and It has
>two separate lists: Routing Protocol Support and Routed Protocols.

>What's the difference?

Routed protocols are what users send data around on.  These protocols are also
found on hosts.

Examples are IP, Appletalk, DECNET, SNA

Routing protocols are what routers use to determine routes for routed
protocols amongst routers.

Examples are RIP, IGRP, OSPF

--
Daniel J. McDonald                      Intel Corporation

1.503.681.2007 (voice)                  1.503.681.2235 (fax)
Disclaimer:  My views are not necessarily the same as Intel's

Routing Protocol Support vs. Routed Protocls

Post by Tom Dal » Sat, 09 Sep 1995 04:00:00

the routed protocol carries the user's data.
the routing protocol runs between the routers to build the routing
table, which in turn determines where the routed protocol goes.
eg, IP is a routed protocol.  It is routed by the IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF,
and RIP routing protocols.
-tom

sk> Nntp-Posting-Host: ix-nyc15-02.ix.netcom.com

sk> I've been looking at the specs for the 7000 on the web page and It has
sk> two separate lists: Routing Protocol Support and Routed Protocols.

sk> What's the difference?

1. static routes vs a routing protocol

While this is not a cisco specific issue, I hoping that someone on this
list can help me out.  I'm looking for any reference material that covers
the pro's and cons of employing a routing protocol vs. static routes
especially on stub networks.

I recently accepted a position as part of a statewide project to bring low
cost internet access to k-12 education, libraries, mueseums, etc.  And
while there are currently in excess of 1000 sites with connections into the
network, the latitude given to individuals responsible for the different
regions of the state has led to an adhoc approach to routing on this
network.  Currently, a seemingly random mix of eigrp groups and static
routes are employed between the distibution and access routers.

I would like to see us take a uniform approach on how routing is handled
between the these routers but I need to be able to justify my
recommendation.

thanx,
-john

2. Memory fault

3. Static routes vs. routing protocol

4. Question? 1/1/00

5. Backup route without routing protocol

6. File Ownership

7. Static route vrs. Routing protocols.

8. Looking for Multimedia CD Programmers

9. How can i route the secondary ip address into dynamnic routing protocol?

10. Implementing routing protocols to set preferred route

11. Backup route for Internet without routing protocols?

12. Which Routing protocol for growing LAN that supports VLSM