CiscoWorks and Spectrum

Post by John Roberts x14 » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Is it possible to run CiscoWorks and Spectrum on the same platform
at the same time?  I understand Cisco has no plans of integrating
with Spectrum.

Do I simply lose the SNMP-TRAP ability to CiscoWorks?  Are there
other points of functionality I'll be losing?

Any help please!

Thanks,

John Roberts

CiscoWorks and Spectrum

Post by Peter P. Morriss » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is it possible to run CiscoWorks and Spectrum on the same platform
>at the same time?  I understand Cisco has no plans of integrating
>with Spectrum.
>Do I simply lose the SNMP-TRAP ability to CiscoWorks?  Are there
>other points of functionality I'll be losing?

We have experienced similar frustrations. Spectrum is superior to many of
the alternatives in many respects. The same could be said for Cisco equipment.

It is unfortunate, in this age of "standards" and "interoperability," that two
major network vendors will only espouse their dedication to such principles
when it is convenient.

Spectrum does come with tools that allow a user without a serious programming
background, to build a similar application. It does require some training and
time however. It's probably worthwhile if you have a lot of Cisco routers, or
you will be integrating other equipment in to Spectrum that does not otherwise
run under Spectrum. It makes one wonder how difficult it would be for someone
with Cisco's resources to do the same.

_Pete Morrissey
_Syracuse University