Frame Relay IP Address for Router to Router

Frame Relay IP Address for Router to Router

Post by David Hur » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 10:26:34

I had been using the serial port address in my DNS server for the routers in my frame-relay network. The problem was that I had to have a frame-relay map statement to go from one router to another for every possible connection. I decided that since all frame-relay ports are the same network in my partially-meshed network, the router could not router amongst themselves without the map statement. To get around this, I created a unix script to read all my cisco configs and build a new DNS host file that uses
the Ethernet interfaces. To my surprise, this didnt work either. I am assuming that it doesn't work because the source address from the router from which I am telnet'ing or ping'ing from is still using the IP address of the serial port and therefore, still needs the frame-relay map statement.

Questions: Is this the problems? If so, how can I force the router to use it's Ethernet interface IP address as it's source address? Is there another solution?

David Hurst from Reliance Electric, Cleveland OH. I can also get e-mail at

--
David Hurst

1. Router to Router Frame relay test environment

I am attempting to create a test environment to simulate a customer's
network.  I have connected a Cisco 2600 with a WIC 1DSU T1 card to a
Cisco 1700 with a WIC 1T card that is connected to an Adtran TSU IQ.
What configurations should I add to each router to emulate a Frame
Relay network. I followed the instructions found at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/frbacktoback_hybrid.html , but I
still cannot get the routers to talk to each other.

Additionally, what type of cable and pinouts should I use between the
2600 WIC 1DSU T1 card and the Adtran TSU IQ network port?  I am
currently using a T1 Crossover cable (1-4, 2-5 on one end, 4-1, 5-2 on
the other).

Thanks in advance,
Chris Reed

2. OT: NRA: It's Our Only Hope

3. Cannot get IP up on frame relay using cisco routers

4. CDROM drive which will work with Mac and Indy?

5. Can newer CISCO routers throttle IP in response to Frame Relay BECNs?

6. frame relay and IP addressing question

7. Frame Relay, Multiple DLCI, single IP address

8. ip addressing problem on frame relay subinterfaces

9. Frame Relay needs local IP address?

10. NO ip addresses in a frame relay cloud

11. Frame Relay and secondary IP address