NEWBIE Question idle timeout how?

Post by John McCo » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

We have a 5200 ASM that our students dial into they often stay connected for
days at a time, and we pay their local phone calls, Ouch!!
How can I disconnect if they have been idle for 1 hour and if connected for
24 hours.

Thanks, I know I need to read the books, to only have the time.
We run the Cisco software on a Sol 6 box if that helps.

--
John McCoy
Systems Administrator

510-430-3321

Post by marcus6.. » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> We have a 5200 ASM that our students dial into they often stay
connected for
> days at a time, and we pay their local phone calls, Ouch!!
> How can I disconnect if they have been idle for 1 hour and if
connected for
> 24 hours.

> Thanks, I know I need to read the books, to only have the time.
> We run the Cisco software on a Sol 6 box if that helps.

> --
> John McCoy
> Systems Administrator
> Mills College

> 510-430-3321

I haven't used a 5200, but, I would imagine they would be similar in
conf. Try commands in line configuration mode. Such as session timeout
or limit.
Marcus

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NEWBIE Question idle timeout how?

Post by Harr » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Absolute timeout, session timeout are config parameters used in the line
command.

The session timeout kicks in using an idle timer (not very good if the
client is sending regular packets, for example wins or browser)

You need to do a show user and see how often there is traffic regardless of
client input. If you are lucky then you may be able to set a session timer
of 1 hour, but I would not bet on it.

The absolute timeout is just that, it cuts the client off after a
predetermined time from first up, a bit of a pig though if it kicks in just
before the end of a 1 hour download ;-)

I assume you are using PSTN and not ISDN???

Good luck

> > We have a 5200 ASM that our students dial into they often stay
> connected for
> > days at a time, and we pay their local phone calls, Ouch!!
> > How can I disconnect if they have been idle for 1 hour and if
> connected for
> > 24 hours.

> > Thanks, I know I need to read the books, to only have the time.
> > We run the Cisco software on a Sol 6 box if that helps.

> > --
> > John McCoy
> > Systems Administrator
> > Mills College

> > 510-430-3321

> I haven't used a 5200, but, I would imagine they would be similar in
> conf. Try commands in line configuration mode. Such as session timeout
> or limit.
> Marcus

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. session-timeout idle-timeout or absolute-timeout

Hi there,

if anyone can help me with this basic question please. I am trying to set
the time out on our cisco AS5300 for ascync lines as well as vty lines. I
want to disconnect any dialup connection through ascync line which is idle
for 60 minutes, do I go:
config t -> line ascync xx idle-timeout 60
also to let a vty connection run for 8 hours do I type in:
config t -> line vty 0 xx -> absolute-timeout 4800

I have tried these but did not get what I was expecting any suggestions?

thanks in advance to everyone.

Aydin

2. Packet Filtering

3. 3620: idle-timeout drops non-idle connections

4. Help: Gateway Colorbook w/ modem on Warp

5. Idle-timeout/Connection Timeout on a CISCO ADSL SOHO 77 Route, help please...

6. running matlab by using mathcopr emulator?

7. dialer idle-timeout & session-timeout

8. Demon Internet (demon.co.uk)

9. Session-Timeouts and Idle-Timeouts on AS5300 and AS5800

10. AS5200 idle timeout question

11. Enforcing and idle timeout

12. ISDN disconnect after 120 seconds while configured idle-timeout = 60... ??

13. PIX Idle connection timeout