Conecting two 2503 300 meters away

Post by Javier Fern├índe » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I have to connect two routers 2503. They are 300 meters far each other. I
have one serial port free in each router and of course the ethernet. Since
the cable must go thru a existing conection pipe between two buildding I
could find electronical noise.

I have think on Fiber but I don't know how to implement. I trying to find
the best way, but take care on money.

THX

Conecting two 2503 300 meters away

Post by Greg Pennefathe » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

If you are putting in fibre, simply put 10BaseFL transceivers on each
Ethernet port to connect.  That gives you 10Mbps (half duplex).  The only
other way is to use a modem over twisted pair cable - best to use a 4 wire
point-to-point modem for these applications.

Good luck.

Greg

Greg Pennefather                                        To Reply just
remove NOPSAM
Communications Engineer                            from the end of my
address
Walker Newman and Associates
Perth, Western Australia

Quote:> I have to connect two routers 2503. They are 300 meters far each other. I

Post by Aaron Leona » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

|If you are putting in fibre, simply put 10BaseFL transceivers on each
|Ethernet port to connect.  That gives you 10Mbps (half duplex).  The only
|other way is to use a modem over twisted pair cable - best to use a 4 wire
|point-to-point modem for these applications.
|
|Good luck.
|
|Greg

Not the "only other way" - Tut Systems makes 10Mbps Ethernet repeaters
that can go up to 1500 feet (457m) over one twisted pair.  Black Box
and others sell these repeaters.

Aaron

---