Cisco 2511 Not booting?

Post by cras » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:46:16

Hi all

My cisco 2511 is not booting it stops there ? sit there forever ..

System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory

Does anyone have an idea ??

Marc-andre Poupier

Cisco 2511 Not booting?

Post by Brian Hil » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:34:52

This problem could be caused by all kinds of things, but my guess would be
either
A) Corrupt image in Flash (not sure whether a 2500 would give you a magic
number error or not though)
B) Corrupt Flash RAM
C) Corrupt RAM

The IOS performs a POST on initial boot (before you get to the bootstrap
stuff), so I am leaning against hardware, but RAM problems can manifest
themselves in strange ways sometimes that aren't detectable by the POST.
Speaking of RAM problems, how did you end up with 14MB of RAM? Anyway, to
narrow down the problem, I would try booting into rommon by hitting the
break key repeatedly right after a powerdown. If it comes up to rommon, most
likely its a corrupt image. Otherwise, it's probably hardware related.

Hope this helps,

--
Brian Hill
CCNP, CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I (NT4.0), MCT, MCP(20), Inet+, Net+, A+
Author: Cisco, The Complete Reference
Publisher: Osborne
Expected Publication Date: 1/8/02

Quote:> Hi all

> My cisco 2511 is not booting it stops there ? sit there forever ..

> System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
> Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
> 2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory

> Does anyone have an idea ??

> Marc-andre Poupier

Cisco 2511 Not booting?

Post by cras » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:54:42

If it's corrupted image that not a big deal I know how to recover

but in case of option B and C how can i determine which one is the problem
and what are my option to fix it ?

Thank you for your time

Marc-andre

> This problem could be caused by all kinds of things, but my guess would
> be either
> A) Corrupt image in Flash (not sure whether a 2500 would give you a
> magic number error or not though)
> B) Corrupt Flash RAM
> C) Corrupt RAM

> The IOS performs a POST on initial boot (before you get to the
> bootstrap stuff), so I am leaning against hardware, but RAM problems
> can manifest themselves in strange ways sometimes that aren't
> detectable by the POST. Speaking of RAM problems, how did you end up
> with 14MB of RAM? Anyway, to narrow down the problem, I would try
> booting into rommon by hitting the break key repeatedly right after a
> powerdown. If it comes up to rommon, most likely its a corrupt image.
> Otherwise, it's probably hardware related.

> Hope this helps,

> --
> Brian Hill
> CCNP, CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I (NT4.0), MCT, MCP(20), Inet+, Net+, A+
> Lead Technology Architect, TechTrain
> Author: Cisco, The Complete Reference
> Publisher: Osborne
> Expected Publication Date: 1/8/02

>> Hi all

>> My cisco 2511 is not booting it stops there ? sit there forever ..

>> System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
>> Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
>> 2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory

>> Does anyone have an idea ??

>> Marc-andre Poupier

Cisco 2511 Not booting?

Post by Brian Hil » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:57:19

Unfortunately, I don't know any way of determining the cause of a hardware
problem in a 2500 other than to swap out the components and see what
happens. If I am not mistaken, the modules in the 2500 are just SIMMS, so if
you have a spare one lying around, you could just swap them out. Otherwise,
if you have a Smartnet contract (or you bought the router new and have not
yet called support), you can call Cisco and they can help you get it
repaired or replaced.

Good luck!

Author: Cisco, The Complete Reference
Publisher: Osborne
Expected Publication Date: 1/8/02

> If it's corrupted image that not a big deal I know how to recover

> but in case of option B and C how can i determine which one is the problem
> and what are my option to fix it ?

> Thank you for your time

> Marc-andre

> > This problem could be caused by all kinds of things, but my guess would
> > be either
> > A) Corrupt image in Flash (not sure whether a 2500 would give you a
> > magic number error or not though)
> > B) Corrupt Flash RAM
> > C) Corrupt RAM

> > The IOS performs a POST on initial boot (before you get to the
> > bootstrap stuff), so I am leaning against hardware, but RAM problems
> > can manifest themselves in strange ways sometimes that aren't
> > detectable by the POST. Speaking of RAM problems, how did you end up
> > with 14MB of RAM? Anyway, to narrow down the problem, I would try
> > booting into rommon by hitting the break key repeatedly right after a
> > powerdown. If it comes up to rommon, most likely its a corrupt image.
> > Otherwise, it's probably hardware related.

> > Hope this helps,

> > --
> > Brian Hill
> > CCNP, CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I (NT4.0), MCT, MCP(20), Inet+, Net+, A+
> > Lead Technology Architect, TechTrain
> > Author: Cisco, The Complete Reference
> > Publisher: Osborne
> > Expected Publication Date: 1/8/02

> >> Hi all

> >> My cisco 2511 is not booting it stops there ? sit there forever ..

> >> System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
> >> Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
> >> 2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory

> >> Does anyone have an idea ??

> >> Marc-andre Poupier

Cisco 2511 Not booting?

Post by Wibbl » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:32:11

I have seen something simular, try re-seating the flash and dram.

You could also try re-seating the bootproms - it doesnt look like it finished
the booting from your description (they are the little square chips ones that
sit flush in their connectors)...  they should be marked as FW1 and FW2...
dont get them around the wrong way when you put them back (check the corner
with the nick in it lines up with its socket's flat corner).

--

wibble

: Hi all
:
: My cisco 2511 is not booting it stops there ? sit there forever ..
:
: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
: Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
: 2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory
:
:
: Does anyone have an idea ??
:
: Marc-andre Poupier

1. Cisco 2511 boot problem

Hello !

I have a Cisco 2511 which doesn't boot, when it boot
then this is what comes on my terminal :

System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 2048 Kbytes of main memory
Local Timeout (control reg=0x118) Error, address: 0x2132008 at 0x10FF5FE (PC)

Can anybody give me a hint ?

Regards

Roar Pettersen
Betech Data A/S
Norway

2. Routing on 837

3. Cisco 2511 Booting Everytime !

4. To Brian and BK

5. Frozen Hayes and Cisco 2511 (Re: 2511 async line goes into virtual exec

6. IS THIS QUESTION SO FREAKY OR WHAT???

7. SLIP - OK, but PPP not established on cisco 2511

8. 2003 server joining domain problem

9. cisco 2511 and USR 56.6 not working

10. Cisco 2511 - telnet into Linux over ethernet, NOT!

11. Cisco 2511 TS but not router

12. Boot problems in 2511

13. Error messages on booting router 2511