2503(boot) Prompt on a 2503 Router

Post by jasdu.. » Sat, 09 Apr 2005 02:08:00

Hi,

Ive just purchased a second hand 2503 router. When I fire it up, it
runs through the config and stops at the prompt, 2503(boot)>

Im a very new at this, but can someone help me get back to the 2503>
prompt only.

Thanks in advance,

James

2503(boot) Prompt on a 2503 Router

Post by pollek » Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:47:14

read the subject of barrett bonden" "1600 missing commands !"

Quote:> Hi,

> Ive just purchased a second hand 2503 router. When I fire it up, it
> runs through the config and stops at the prompt, 2503(boot)>

> Im a very new at this, but can someone help me get back to the 2503>
> prompt only.

> Thanks in advance,

> James

2503(boot) Prompt on a 2503 Router

Post by jasdu.. » Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:55:15

Thanks for the response Polleke. I did as you said, but I dont think
its good news.

This is what I get:

2503(boot)>enable
2503(boot)#show flash

System flash directory:
No files in System flash
[0 bytes used, 8388608 available, 8388608 total]
8192K bytes of  System flash (Device not programmable)

2503(boot)#

Can I be a nuisance and ask, what do I do now?

Thanks in advance,

James

2503(boot) Prompt on a 2503 Router

Post by DB » Sat, 09 Apr 2005 04:22:01

James,

You're stuck in the Boot ROM.Provide the following commands to get a
"normal" prompt.
At 2503(boot)> type : enable
This will show you 2503(boot)#.
Type : copy startup-config running-config
If you do not know the enable password you can change it here.
Type: conf t
Enter NO to any boot system
Type: enable secret <provide yor passwd here>
Type : config-register 0x2102
Give Ctrl Z command or exit
Type : copy running-config startup-config
Reboot
That should give you the normal IOS prompt again,with access.

Gr.
DB

2503(boot) Prompt on a 2503 Router

Post by jasdu.. » Sat, 09 Apr 2005 04:51:00

Hi DB,

Did as you said, but its still 2503(boot)

Although I did get the opportunity to change the password to something
more suitable.

When you say reboot, do you mean reload, or switch the unit off at the
back, then power it back on. I wasn't a 100% on that so I tried it both
ways, just to be sure.

Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated as Im extremely new
at this.

Rgds,

James

2503(boot) Prompt on a 2503 Router

Post by Edwin.R.Gonza.. » Sat, 09 Apr 2005 05:23:51

James,

When you did the show flash notice how the output stated "No files in
System flash". This means you don't have an IOS stored in flash. Your
router is booting from a stripped down version of the IOS loaded in
ROM.

Post by Jo » Sat, 09 Apr 2005 05:57:57

> Hi,

> Ive just purchased a second hand 2503 router. When I fire it up, it
> runs through the config and stops at the prompt, 2503(boot)>

> Im a very new at this, but can someone help me get back to the 2503>
> prompt only.

> Thanks in advance,

> James

Check that the Flash is OK. Do you know how much Flash the router has
installed, there may be a dodgy connection where one of the flash
modules sits on the board.

2503(boot) Prompt on a 2503 Router

Post by jasdu.. » Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:10:54

Hi Jo,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I removed the chips from the board, dusted them down, and then reseated
them. Everything is now working fine. Your help was greatly
appreciated.

Thanks also to all who offered advice, again, your help was greatly
appreciated.

James

Post by Jo » Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:41:19

> Hi Jo,

> Thank you, thank you, thank you.

> I removed the chips from the board, dusted them down, and then reseated
> them. Everything is now working fine. Your help was greatly
> appreciated.

> Thanks also to all who offered advice, again, your help was greatly
> appreciated.

> James

No problem. You dont happen to live just off of the A13 do you?

1. 2503 (boot) prompt

Hi,

I have just got hold of an old 2503. Upon starting it goes straight into the
following prompt:

r1-2503(boot)>

I then go into config mode and set the config-register:

r1-2503(boot)>en
Password:
r1-2503(boot)#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
r1-2503(boot)(config)#config-register 0x2102

and write the config to memory and reload:
1-2503(boot)#wr mem
Building configuration...
[OK]
r1-2503(boot)#reload
Proceed with reload? [confirm]

After this the system still comes up into (boot) mode, what do I need to set
the config-register to resume normal startup?

sh ver details follow:

1-2503(boot)#sh ver
IOS (tm) 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c), RELEASE
SOFTWA
RE (fc1)
Compiled Fri 27-Dec-96 17:33 by loreilly
Image text-base: 0x01010000, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE

r1-2503 uptime is 21 minutes
System restarted by power-on
Running default software

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision N) with 2048K/2048K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 07072665, with hardware revision 00000001
X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.
Basic Rate ISDN software, Version 1.0.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
2 Serial network interfaces.
1 ISDN Basic Rate interface.

Configuration register is 0x2102

r1-2503(boot)#

Does it look as though my IOS image isnt in NVRAM and therfor not loading.
If so what else would I need to do to get this router working correctly?

Thanks,
Jo

2. Multiple Implementaions of One Design

3. 2503 connect 2503 ???

4. C64s v2.0 and real 1541

5. Looking for Cisco Boot ROM for my 2503 router..

6. Direct CD (Adaptec)

7. CABLE Question : I need a 2503-2503 serial cable

8. Ti qspi interface

9. Cisco Enterprise 2503 vs. Cisco Pro 2503

10. Router 2503 will not boot

11. 2503 to 2503 TTCP test failure

12. IPX Routing between 2503 and 2503

13. Cisco 2503 - strange prompt