Why is COM configuration transfer screwing up?

Why is COM configuration transfer screwing up?

Post by John » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 04:27:22

Sending a configuration to Cisco 804 via COM port, and it is like it is
getting there too fast or something.  Viewing the router's interface, errors
pop up, and it is basically showing the config is arriving
damaged/mispelled/etc.

Why is this happening through the COM?  A cut and paste in terminal works
fine.

I wonder if it might have something to do with the router getting bogged
down printing to the COM session, while taking action as the config is
entered...for instance, I see errors immediately after the BRI comes up
(takes several lines.)

If this is the case, how could I prevent the router from taking any action,
until I allow it to after entering the entire config?  Is this possible?

(Are you clear with what I have presented here?)

Thanks,

John

--
nospam in reply address

Post by John » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 04:27:15

[...]

Post by Vincent C Jon » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 07:04:04

When configured via the console port, each line is "installed" when the
carriage return is sent. This can take significant time and there is no
handshaking on the console port to stop the next line while the previous
line is processed. If your terminal emulator supports the function,
configure it to wait for the prompt to come back from the router before
sending the next line. Otherwise, install just enough configuration to
use telnet or TFTP to install the configuration and save the console for
emergencies.

Vincent C Jones

The cleanest way to configure

--
Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE              Author of the Addison-Wesley book
Computer Network Consultant           High Availability Networking with

Post by Hansang Ba » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:39:04

>Sending a configuration to Cisco 804 via COM port, and it is like it is
>getting there too fast or something.  Viewing the router's interface, errors
>pop up, and it is basically showing the config is arriving
>damaged/mispelled/etc.
>Why is this happening through the COM?  A cut and paste in terminal works
>fine.
>I wonder if it might have something to do with the router getting bogged
>down printing to the COM session, while taking action as the config is
>entered...for instance, I see errors immediately after the BRI comes up
>(takes several lines.)
>If this is the case, how could I prevent the router from taking any action,
>until I allow it to after entering the entire config?  Is this possible?
>(Are you clear with what I have presented here?)

Yes it's clear.  There's no flow control so your router is * on
the input.  So either chop up your cut and paste, or tftp your config
it.

hsb

"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

Why is COM configuration transfer screwing up?

Post by Zora » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 17:09:39

If you are using Windows Hyper Terminal, you can configure a delay. I use
300ms between lines and 10ms between characters, and never lost a character
configuring routers 3620 and 2509.
BTW, you should download Hyper Terminal Private Edition 5.0, it works much
better than one supplied with Windows, has more terminal emulations, and
supports TCP/IP too.

Zoran

> When configured via the console port, each line is "installed" when the
> carriage return is sent. This can take significant time and there is no
> handshaking on the console port to stop the next line while the previous
> line is processed. If your terminal emulator supports the function,
> configure it to wait for the prompt to come back from the router before
> sending the next line. Otherwise, install just enough configuration to
> use telnet or TFTP to install the configuration and save the console for
> emergencies.

> Vincent C Jones

> The cleanest way to configure

> >Sending a configuration to Cisco 804 via COM port, and it is like it is
> >getting there too fast or something.  Viewing the router's interface,
errors
> >pop up, and it is basically showing the config is arriving
> >damaged/mispelled/etc.

> >Why is this happening through the COM?  A cut and paste in terminal works
> >fine.

> >I wonder if it might have something to do with the router getting bogged
> >down printing to the COM session, while taking action as the config is
> >entered...for instance, I see errors immediately after the BRI comes up
> >(takes several lines.)

> >If this is the case, how could I prevent the router from taking any
action,
> >until I allow it to after entering the entire config?  Is this possible?

> >(Are you clear with what I have presented here?)

> >Thanks,

> >John

> >--
> >nospam in reply address

> --
> Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE              Author of the Addison-Wesley book
> Computer Network Consultant           High Availability Networking with
> Networking Unlimited, Inc.            Cisco, follow the web link below.
> 14 Dogwood Lane, Tenafly, NJ 07670
> http://www.networkingunlimited.com

Why is COM configuration transfer screwing up?

Post by John » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:44:26

5 is out?  I'll check it out, as I have 4.

Excellent!  Thank you.  Being as impatient as I am, I didn't look under
"ASCII settings."

Thanks,

john

--
nospam in reply address

> If you are using Windows Hyper Terminal, you can configure a delay. I use
> 300ms between lines and 10ms between characters, and never lost a
character
> configuring routers 3620 and 2509.
> BTW, you should download Hyper Terminal Private Edition 5.0, it works much
> better than one supplied with Windows, has more terminal emulations, and
> supports TCP/IP too.

> Zoran

> > When configured via the console port, each line is "installed" when the
> > carriage return is sent. This can take significant time and there is no
> > handshaking on the console port to stop the next line while the previous
> > line is processed. If your terminal emulator supports the function,
> > configure it to wait for the prompt to come back from the router before
> > sending the next line. Otherwise, install just enough configuration to
> > use telnet or TFTP to install the configuration and save the console for
> > emergencies.

> > Vincent C Jones

> > The cleanest way to configure

> > >Sending a configuration to Cisco 804 via COM port, and it is like it is
> > >getting there too fast or something.  Viewing the router's interface,
> errors
> > >pop up, and it is basically showing the config is arriving
> > >damaged/mispelled/etc.

> > >Why is this happening through the COM?  A cut and paste in terminal
works
> > >fine.

> > >I wonder if it might have something to do with the router getting
bogged
> > >down printing to the COM session, while taking action as the config is
> > >entered...for instance, I see errors immediately after the BRI comes up
> > >(takes several lines.)

> > >If this is the case, how could I prevent the router from taking any
> action,
> > >until I allow it to after entering the entire config?  Is this
possible?

> > >(Are you clear with what I have presented here?)

> > >Thanks,

> > >John

> > >--
> > >nospam in reply address

> > --
> > Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE              Author of the Addison-Wesley book
> > Computer Network Consultant           High Availability Networking with
> > Networking Unlimited, Inc.            Cisco, follow the web link below.
> > 14 Dogwood Lane, Tenafly, NJ 07670
> > http://www.networkingunlimited.com

1. X2 - I Am Truly Screwed

After upgrading to X2 and finding the dreaded Multiple CODEC message I called Bell South here in
Atlanta.  It seems my subdivision is served by two SLC96 systems both of which are non-integrated.
According to Bell South they would have been happy to switch my service to an integrated one but
one doesn't exist for my subdivision.

Does anyone have any further suggestions?  It looks like Bell South was attempting to be very
helpful but they say their hardware capability in my subdivision won't allow them to fix the
problem.

Help!!!

Ed

2. implementing cut, copy and paste functions

3. My sportster 28.8k info. Am I screwed..

4. ? How to size a control based on current text contents ?

5. Am I getting screwed by USWest?

6. XSL and numeric formats...

7. themesofessence@yahoo.com themesofessence@yahoo.com themesofessence@yahoo.com themesofessence@yahoo.com themesofessence@yahoo.com

8. $8.75/Year .com .net .org AnyDomainNames.com - FREE Transfers !

9. NAT configuration ...why does this configuration work

10. Why Cellular is Screwed Up in the U.S.

11. Q: Sharing COM IRQs modem/UPS