Newbie question - how to change default config

Newbie question - how to change default config

Post by T » Fri, 10 Oct 2003 03:24:26

Hi,

I've recently purchased a cisco 837 ADSL router, which is  running IOS
12.2. I have been using it with its default out of the box
configuration which includes NAT.

As I know very little about routers and IOS, but would like to learn
more, I thought I'd start out by experimenting with something quite
simple. I am trying to remove the following entry from the default
input access-list

access-list 111 permit tcp any any eq 139
(Why is this in a default access-list? it seems very insecure to me)

So I copied the config to my windows TFTP server, removed the line,
shown above, from the config file and then copied it back. The problem
is when I copy it back I get an error "%pvc already member of PPPoA
dialer pool" as shown below:

copy tftp://10.10.10.2/NEWCONFIG running-config
Destination filename [running-config]?
Accessing tftp://10.10.10.2/NEWCONFIG...
[OK - 3235 bytes]

% pvc already member of PPPoA dialer pool
3235 bytes copied in 2.224 secs (1455 bytes/sec)

After this I can't access the internet, so I need to power cycle the
router to get back to the original config.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Newbie question - how to change default config

Post by Erik Tamming » Fri, 10 Oct 2003 04:44:40

Hi,

What you're actually doing with the copy tftp .. running-config is the same
as typing the complete configuration all over again (actually merging both,
existing and modified, configurations). What you can do is copy the config
to the startup-configuration (wich you can delete in advance, i'm not sure
if this process also merges both configurations).
Another option is to:
- copy only the access-list from the configuration into notepad, add the
following line on line 1:
    no access-list <list-number-here>
- make your changes to the access-list and
- copy-paste the config into the telnet session (make sure you're in
"configuration terminal" mode).
This will actually replace the access-list.
(Don't forget to save the running-configuration to the startup-configuration
after all changes are done. Do this using "copy running-config
startup-config")

Erik

Quote:> Hi,

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Fri, 10 Oct 2003 04:52:27

> What you can do is copy the config
> to the startup-configuration (wich you can delete in advance, i'm not sure
> if this process also merges both configurations).

No, it doesn't. Copying anything to the startup config overwrites it.

                Regards,

                        Marco.

1. Documenting changes in defaults (was Re: proxy arp enabled by default)

<rant>

True, but sometimes defaults *are* changed, and most often the change
is not well documented, if at all. IMHO, IWBNI changes were carefully
documented both in release notes (separate section and/or using a red,
bold, italics, underlined, blinking font :-).

I have bad memories of our 9.x-to-10.x conversion due to lack of said
documentation.

</rant>

#include <disclaimer.h>
Governments are guilty until proved innocent

2. Serviced Component attributes

3. Default Config Files or Basic Config

4. Question: Rebooting machine from Windows

5. Another Dumb Newbie Question about Default Route

6. Antwort: Input q1= q2= problem

7. Newbie question: 801 reset to factory defaults

8. FAQ: Pointer to Waffle Frequently Asked Questions

9. newbie question: how to set default server

10. 4.1 Install & Config Question, default block size for a volume

11. Config File Suffix - Newbie Question

12. General Config Question Newbie

13. Newbie: Basic Config Questions