Cisco 1004, Multilink PPP, and second ISDN Channel

Cisco 1004, Multilink PPP, and second ISDN Channel

Post by Ozymandia » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Well, I have got my Cisco 1004 connecting to my ISP and I'm back on the net.
However, I notice that my second ISDN channel never gets used.  I did some
heavy downloading from my local ISP and the second channel never kicked in.
Is there something in my config that I missed that prevents the second chan
from coming up?  I would prefer that everytime it dials that both channels
come up.  Also, has anyone had any experience with PPP COMPRESSION STAC?
Does it increase throughput or headaches?  Thanks for the help!

John

Here is my config:

!
version 11.3
service timestamps debug datetime msec
no service password-encryption
no service udp-small-servers
no service tcp-small-servers
!
hostname John's_Router
!
enable password xxxxxxxx
!
ip nat inside source list 100 interface BRI0 overload
isdn switch-type basic-ni1
!
interface Ethernet0
 ip address 10.2.2.2 255.0.0.0
 ip nat inside
!
interface BRI0
 ip address negotiated
 ip nat outside
 encapsulation ppp
 bandwidth 128
 no keepalive
 dialer idle-timeout 900
 dialer string xxxxxxxxxxxx
 dialer hold-queue 20
 dialer-group 1
 isdn spid1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 isdn spid2 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 no peer default ip address
 no fair-queue
 no cdp enable
 ppp authentication chap callin
 ppp chap hostname xxxxxxxx
 ppp chap password xxxxxxxx
 ppp multilink
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BRI0 permanent
access-list 100 permit ip any any
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
!
line con 0
 exec-timeout 0 0
 password xxxxxxxx
line vty 0 4
 password xxxxxxxxx
 login
!
end

Cisco 1004, Multilink PPP, and second ISDN Channel

Post by Thomas Weinman » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Use "dialer load-threshold x" to bring up additional(s) channel(s). Without
that only one channel will be used.

You may set x to a value in between 1 and 255 where the range is somehow
mapped to the load percentage of the already connected links. So if you
choose 1, additional channels will come up very fast.

Thomas

Cisco 1004, Multilink PPP, and second ISDN Channel

Post by Aaron Leona » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Add "dialer load-threshold 40" to the BRI config.
This will cause a second channel to dial when the
load on the first channel exceeds 40/255.

Aaron

---

~ Well, I have got my Cisco 1004 connecting to my ISP and I'm back on the net.
~ However, I notice that my second ISDN channel never gets used.  I did some
~ heavy downloading from my local ISP and the second channel never kicked in.
~ Is there something in my config that I missed that prevents the second chan
~ from coming up?  I would prefer that everytime it dials that both channels
~ come up.  Also, has anyone had any experience with PPP COMPRESSION STAC?
~ Does it increase throughput or headaches?  Thanks for the help!
~
~ John
~
~ Here is my config:
~
~ !
[...]
~ access-list 100 permit ip 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 any
~ access-list 100 permit ip any any
~ dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
~ !
~ line con 0
~  exec-timeout 0 0
~  password xxxxxxxx
~ line vty 0 4
~  password xxxxxxxxx
~  login
~ !
~ end

Cisco 1004, Multilink PPP, and second ISDN Channel

Post by Ozymandia » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Thanks Aaron (and Thomas)!  I put the command in and the second chan came up
fine!  Now if I could find out why my ISP refuses to let me connect
sometimes.  Oh well.....
John

> [...]

>~ interface BRI0
>~  ip address negotiated
>~  ip nat outside
>~  encapsulation ppp
>~  bandwidth 128
>~  no keepalive
>~  dialer idle-timeout 900
>~  dialer string xxxxxxxxxxxx
>~  dialer hold-queue 20
>~  dialer-group 1
>~  isdn spid1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>~  isdn spid2 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>~  no peer default ip address
>~  no fair-queue
>~  no cdp enable
>~  ppp authentication chap callin
>~  ppp chap hostname xxxxxxxx
>~  ppp chap password xxxxxxxx
>~  ppp multilink
>~ !
>~ ip classless
>~ ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BRI0 permanent
>~ access-list 100 permit ip 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 any

1. ISDN: Each B Channel to different subnet (Cisco 1004)

(Background: Cisco dials ISP, other guy dials Cisco. Both via ISDN.
Machines on local Lan need to be able to access the Internet + machines on
other guys Lan. Other guys Lan does not need to get to the Internet.)

+-----+         +-----+           +-----+
|Other|_________|Cisco|___________| ISP |
|Guy's| B chan1 +-----+  B chan2  +-----+
|Lan  |           |
+-----+           |

               +--------+
               |Main Lan|
               +--------+

Main Lan needs access to Internet via ISP and access to machines on other
guy's Lan. Other Guy's Lan only exchanges packets with Main Lan.

B chan1 = other guy calling cisco
B chan2 = cisco calling ISP.

Currently have entries:

interface BRI0
  ip address 204.92.236.252 255.255.255.0
  dialer string 92320797
  dialer map ip 0.0.0.0 name green 92320797
  dialer map ip 204.92.236.51 name green 92320797 #(DNS on ISP)
  dialer map ip 204.92.236.53 name green 92320797 #(Term serv on ISP)
  dialer group 1

ip host green 204.92.236.53
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

What do I need to add to get that specific route to the other guy's lan in
there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob.

2. Dates to Watch: Fiscal Years

3. Second ISDN channel in Multilink PPP

4. website@dellos.demon.co.uk

5. PPP Multilink not dialing second channel on Cisco 2500

6. FS: X1195A's

7. Cisco 1004 vs. CiscoPro 1004

8. A few Qs for netmeeting gurus

9. Cisco 1004: each B channel to separate network

10. ppp multilink - can't get second channel to come up..

11. 1004 - 1004 connection issues

12. PCMCIA flash problem on Cisco 1004 ISDN router

13. Need Help to connect Cisco 1004 to 3620 with ISDN BRI-to-BRI