Utilization measured by mib vars vs. rmon mib

Utilization measured by mib vars vs. rmon mib

Post by Saundra Emm » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Is there a means to compair Utilization calulated for ethernet using
ifInOctets and ifSpeed to utilization for the same ethernet calculated using
rmon?

Thanks in advance,

Saundra

1. Should REPEATER MIB (RFC1516) and RMON MIB (RFC1757) give the same results?

I've been happily using the Repeater MIB (RFC2108) to do traffic
statistics
for repeaters and switches on my network, but I've recently received
some
devices which don't "do" RFC2108, so I have to query the RMON MIB
(RFC1757)
for the ports in the device.
(I haven't been using RMON all along because some of my really old
devices
don't support RMON, but they do support the Repeater MIB)

In my devices that support both MIBs, though, I've had some strange
results...

I get substantially different count results from
  RFC2108 rptrMonitorPortReadableOctets = 1128824064
  RFC1757 etherStatsOctets              = 2097785344

(similar results for rptrMonitorPortReadableFrames vs. etherStatsPkts
too)

Any ideas on why they might be sooooooo different?
(It's a 3Com SuperStack II Switch 1000 - it isn't technically a repeater
...maybe I shouldn't even be using RFC2108 against it?? ...perhaps the
bridge MIB (RFC1493)?)

------------
Thomas Dzubin
Network Analyst
Saskatoon, Vancouver, and Calgary CANADA

2. Property in VB

3. 9.1 MIB vs. 8.3 MIB

4. What is a firewall?

5. Q: 0 values in frCircuit vars of MIB-2 on Cisco 4500

6. Games that don't work...

7. MIB Support for Access routers, no support for SYSLOG-MIB

8. 2511 Junk Booting

9. Looking for workgroup MIB for CISCO-STACK-MIB

10. MIB Errors On RFC1382-MIB.my

11. CMU mib.txt for cisco mib ?

12. No luck setting an Octet string in a MIB - specifically the Q-btridge MIB.

13. Microsoft MIBS (IIS.MIB & INETSERV.MIB)