SNMP and OIR .....

Post by Madhu K. Achar » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quick question on ipAdEntIfIndex MIB variable ....

What happens to the mapping between an IP address and the IfIndex when
one does Online Removal and Insertion (OIR) of a FSIP on a 7000 or 7500 series
router ? Does the router pick up new numbers or uses the same old mapping ?
If not, what happens when I remove a 8 port FSIP and replace it with a 4
port TRIP or vice versa ?

I don't have a 7000 handy to test this. Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Madhu
----------------------
Madhu K. Acharya, CCIE        Network Design and Analysis
Advantis/IBM Global Network, 1311 Mamaroneck Ave. Box 300
White Plains NY 10605. Ph: 914-684-3950 Fax: 914-684-3432

1. SNMP and OIR .....

My experience with 10.2(6) was that the old ifIndex entries go away and
new ones are created, even if the same board is put back in the same slot.
There was a bug in 10.2(6) that caused the old ones to not always go away
as they should, but this has since been fixed (though I don't seem to have
the bug ID or the IOS levels where it's fixed handy, but it was Case B66178).

If you think about the various issues related to OIR, this behavior makes
sense.

--

Sr. Network Engineer
!NTERPRISE Networking Services               (612) 663-7755

"Anything you know is easy; anything you don't know is hard."

2. Multiple folders as one virtual folder?

3. %OIRINT: OIR Event

4. PubKey Auth from F-Secure to OpenSSH - not working

5. SNMP - Cisco - SNMP

6. TeX on a 4000/040...

7. Changing snmp trap destinations by means of snmp set

8. WGPFD 2nd ED - I need gpdumb libs!

9. Using SNMP to set snmp-server on Cisco

10. Which MIB file to use with cmu-snmp's snmp-get?

11. SNMP Cisco IP accounting mib.txt for CMU-SNMP

12. problems with net-snmp's SNMP OID and perl

13. ANNOUNCE : Loriot build 131 released ( FREE GUI SNMP V1, V2c, V3 SNMP Manager )