Can i use ATM IMA without ATM switch ?

Post by o.. » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi!

What minimal equipment is required to use IMA to inv. multiplex
our traffic across many E1 lines? Is true ATM service required?
If yes, can Catalist 5500 help? (We also have 3660.).

Oleg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Can i use ATM IMA without ATM switch ?

Post by Scott Renne » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:18:09

You do not need an ATM switch to use IMA.  ATM is used only to break
packets up into smaller cells that are then round-robined across all of
the interfaces in an IMA group.  This process is done in hardware by the
ATM silicon which is much faster by a couple of orders of magnitude over
multi-link PPP.

Scott

> Hi!

> What minimal equipment is required to use IMA to inv. multiplex
> our traffic across many E1 lines? Is true ATM service required?
> If yes, can Catalist 5500 help? (We also have 3660.).

> Oleg

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Can i use ATM IMA without ATM switch ?

Post by o.. » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi, Scott

Quote:> You do not need an ATM switch to use IMA.  ATM is used only to break
> packets up into smaller cells that are then round-robined across all
of
> the interfaces in an IMA group.  This process is done in hardware by
the
> ATM silicon which is much faster by a couple of orders of magnitude
over
> multi-link PPP.

> Scott

Does it mean that I can connect our two 3660 routers with the
NM-8E1-IMA module directly to eight E1 lines, add these 8 E1
lines into the IMA group and be happy as no other special
equipment is required ?

Post by Ha » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>Hi, Scott

>> You do not need an ATM switch to use IMA.  ATM is used only to break
>> packets up into smaller cells that are then round-robined across all
>of
>> the interfaces in an IMA group.  This process is done in hardware by
>the
>> ATM silicon which is much faster by a couple of orders of magnitude
>over
>> multi-link PPP.

>> Scott

>Does it mean that I can connect our two 3660 routers with the
>NM-8E1-IMA module directly to eight E1 lines, add these 8 E1
>lines into the IMA group and be happy as no other special
>equipment is required ?

Yes, I've done the same with a 3640.  As long as you have the IMA
modules in each, and the IOS level and memory to support it, you can
build an IMA/ATM interface between the two routers.

Hal